Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Mission Style Mantel and TV Wall Project

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 12:35:41 -0700, the infamous Evodawg
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 12:27:41 -0700, the infamous Evodawg
scrawled the following:

Just got around to taking pictures of a customers job I finished a month
ago. You guys helped me on some staining questions of the mantel and I
said I would post pictures of it when completed. The link below will get
you to a few pictures of the project including the mantel.
Comments and questions welcome.
Rich

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...awg/TV%20Wall/

Cool mantel, Rich. (What's with the red finish? Camera, I hope.)

Thanks, that's the finish the customer picked. Camera is probably showing a
little more red then reality.

Oh, good. I really like the style, an organic Mission, like someone
threw a pinch of Art Nouveau into the mix.

But that's what they wanted and it does go
along with the mission style in California.

You're probably talking about the actual color. If you were talking
"red", I can't recall having seen that in any style. Mission stuff
was golden or darker browns, mostly.

Customer loves it, so that's all that counts, right????

I guess that since there is no Hippocratic Oath in the wooddorking
industry, stain and poly were inevitable. But it doesn't mean we have
to like it, or do it on our own. As far as a contract piece, the
customer loving it is great, but keep your rep in mind, too. If a
customer wants something ghastly, consider it heavily before doing it
for him. It could be around to haunt you for a long time.

--
If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we
shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do.