Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shop Made Zero Clearance Insert

These are very easy to make.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikeadid...earanceInsert#

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
These are very easy to make.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikeadid...earanceInsert#

Very cool Mike...

I may have to make on with the splitter although I use a similar removable
splitter now.
Might I suggest a slightly easier way to do the leveling screws? Use small
3/8" screws on the bottom side. A touch longer to adjust the first time but
you have no holes on top to catch or fill with debris.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/20/10 1:28 PM, Leon wrote:
wrote in message
These are very easy to make.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikeadid...earanceInsert#

Very cool Mike...

I may have to make on with the splitter although I use a similar removable
splitter now.
Might I suggest a slightly easier way to do the leveling screws? Use small
3/8" screws on the bottom side. A touch longer to adjust the first time but
you have no holes on top to catch or fill with debris.

Yes, I do see it taking longer to pop it in and out several times to
adjust the first time, but I like the idea of a clean top side.

I'm going to try a DIY "Tru-Cut Insert System" that has the rectangular
sub-inserts. The extra time needed to adjust the master insert wouldn't
even be an issue, since it would be semi-permanent.

I also have an idea for swappable splitters, using pins/screws that go
in from the edge of the insert, parallel to the top.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
On 3/20/10 1:28 PM, Leon wrote:
wrote in message
These are very easy to make.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikeadid...earanceInsert#

Very cool Mike...

I may have to make on with the splitter although I use a similar
removable
splitter now.
Might I suggest a slightly easier way to do the leveling screws? Use
small
3/8" screws on the bottom side. A touch longer to adjust the first time
but
you have no holes on top to catch or fill with debris.

Yes, I do see it taking longer to pop it in and out several times to
adjust the first time, but I like the idea of a clean top side.

I forgot to add, I added a "finger" if you will to the bottom back side of
the insert that goes up under the table top. This absolutely insures that
the back side of the blade does not lift up the back aide of the insert.

I'm going to try a DIY "Tru-Cut Insert System" that has the rectangular
sub-inserts. The extra time needed to adjust the master insert wouldn't
even be an issue, since it would be semi-permanent.

Actually I made several of these inserts for my commonly used dado width
combinations, 4 IIRC. I bet I did not spend 5 minutes total adjusting all
of them. That really is not a factor.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/20/10 3:14 PM, Leon wrote:
I forgot to add, I added a "finger" if you will to the bottom back side of
the insert that goes up under the table top. This absolutely insures that
the back side of the blade does not lift up the back aide of the insert.

Yes, I used a finish screw for that.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
On 3/20/10 3:14 PM, Leon wrote:
I forgot to add, I added a "finger" if you will to the bottom back side
of
the insert that goes up under the table top. This absolutely insures
that
the back side of the blade does not lift up the back aide of the insert.

Yes, I used a finish screw for that.

I saw a screw in the end of the insert and some of my inserts have that. I
added a finger under the insert that extends beyond the end so that it goes
under the TS top in the blck.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/20/10 5:29 PM, Leon wrote:
wrote in message
On 3/20/10 3:14 PM, Leon wrote:
I forgot to add, I added a "finger" if you will to the bottom back side
of
the insert that goes up under the table top. This absolutely insures
that
the back side of the blade does not lift up the back aide of the insert.

Yes, I used a finish screw for that.

I saw a screw in the end of the insert and some of my inserts have that. I
added a finger under the insert that extends beyond the end so that it goes
under the TS top in the blck.

Now I need a picture.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 17:56:03 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 3/20/10 5:29 PM, Leon wrote:
wrote in message
On 3/20/10 3:14 PM, Leon wrote:
I forgot to add, I added a "finger" if you will to the bottom back side
of
the insert that goes up under the table top. This absolutely insures
that
the back side of the blade does not lift up the back aide of the insert.

Yes, I used a finish screw for that.

I saw a screw in the end of the insert and some of my inserts have that. I
added a finger under the insert that extends beyond the end so that it goes
under the TS top in the blck.

Now I need a picture.

The only problem with a home / shop made fireplace of ANY type is
getting UL approval - without which you WILL have insurance problems.

A Zero Clearance unit will be significantly more difficult than a
freestanding unit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/20/10 9:25 PM, Morris Dovey wrote:
On 3/20/2010 9:10 PM, wrote:

The only problem with a home / shop made fireplace of ANY type is
getting UL approval - without which you WILL have insurance problems.

A Zero Clearance unit will be significantly more difficult than a
freestanding unit.

Wrong thread? The OP provided:

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikeadid...earanceInsert#

It doesn't /look/ like a fireplace... ;-)

Look again, Mo. :-)

(I *almost* replaced them all, just to f#@k with you.)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Somebody wrote:

I forgot to add, I added a "finger" if you will to the bottom back
side of
the insert that goes up under the table top. This absolutely
insures that
the back side of the blade does not lift up the back aide of the
insert.

A piece of oak/maple 3/8" wide X 3/8" high, 2-3" long, projecting out
the back
of the insert about 3/8", works for me.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
The only problem with a home / shop made fireplace of ANY type is
getting UL approval - without which you WILL have insurance problems.

Yeah, they probably will if they run down to their insurance company and
tell them about it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote in -
september.org:

On 3/20/10 9:25 PM, Morris Dovey wrote:

Wrong thread? The OP provided:

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikeadid...earanceInsert#

It doesn't /look/ like a fireplace... ;-)

Look again, Mo. :-)

(I *almost* replaced them all, just to f#@k with you.)

Hey, those are my past attempts at zero clearance inserts there!

I borrowed a jigsaw and traced, cut, and sanded my way to two zero
clearance inserts that fit nicely. I'll probably add the splitter to one
when I go to use it.

They're not hard to make, especially with a Bosch jigsaw. I only used
the jigsaw twice, and miss it.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
On 3/20/10 5:29 PM, Leon wrote:
wrote in message
On 3/20/10 3:14 PM, Leon wrote:
I forgot to add, I added a "finger" if you will to the bottom back side
of
the insert that goes up under the table top. This absolutely insures
that
the back side of the blade does not lift up the back aide of the
insert.

Yes, I used a finish screw for that.

I saw a screw in the end of the insert and some of my inserts have that.
added a finger under the insert that extends beyond the end so that it
goes
under the TS top in the blck.

Now I need a picture.

I'll shoot you a picture and give you a link.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 12:05:56 -0600, MIKE- wrote
(in article ):

These are very easy to make.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikeadid...earanceInsert#

Cool way to wedge in a splitter!

I used my original Delta insert as a template for making a working insert
template. When I get bored I zip out a few on the router table, usually from
my scrap pile of 1/2" thick oak. Leveling screws are really short set screws.

How well does the surface of the plywood hold up?

-BR

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ping Mike

Here are links to my inserts.

Bottom view showing adjustable screws on bottom side and retainer to keep
the insert from lifting in the back.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...28852/sizes/l/

Top view showing back retainer

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...59787/sizes/l/

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
Somebody wrote:

I forgot to add, I added a "finger" if you will to the bottom back side
of
the insert that goes up under the table top. This absolutely insures
that
the back side of the blade does not lift up the back aide of the insert.

A piece of oak/maple 3/8" wide X 3/8" high, 2-3" long, projecting out the
back
of the insert about 3/8", works for me.

See my "Ping Mike" picture links.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/21/10 8:18 AM, Bruce wrote:

These are very easy to make.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikeadid...earanceInsert#

How well does the surface of the plywood hold up?

-BR

Fine, so far.
I don't see any reason why it shouldn't last as long as the saw....
or blade at least, unless I'm missing something.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/21/10 12:10 PM, Leon wrote:
Here are links to my inserts.

Bottom view showing adjustable screws on bottom side and retainer to keep
the insert from lifting in the back.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...28852/sizes/l/

Top view showing back retainer

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...59787/sizes/l/

Thank you, Sir. Makes perfect sense.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 21:10:31 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

Somebody wrote:

I forgot to add, I added a "finger" if you will to the bottom back
side of
the insert that goes up under the table top. This absolutely
insures that
the back side of the blade does not lift up the back aide of the
insert.

A piece of oak/maple 3/8" wide X 3/8" high, 2-3" long, projecting out
the back
of the insert about 3/8", works for me.

Lew

I have a fender washer on the bottom back end of mine.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 11:19:04 -0600, MIKE- wrote
(in article ):

On 3/21/10 8:18 AM, Bruce wrote:

These are very easy to make.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikeadid...earanceInsert#

How well does the surface of the plywood hold up?

-BR

Fine, so far.
I don't see any reason why it shouldn't last as long as the saw....
or blade at least, unless I'm missing something.

I get chips, etc, near where the teeth re-enter. Basically it's from the
hammering that occurs at this spot. I know that oak is a bit splintery and
was wondering if that is my problem. The multiple plies would seem to reduce
this effect, but the softer wood could also help (springier) or hurt (get
beat up more).

I suppose the best thing is to just try and see! I should know in about a
year....

-BR

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bruce wrote in
:

I get chips, etc, near where the teeth re-enter. Basically it's from
the hammering that occurs at this spot. I know that oak is a bit
splintery and was wondering if that is my problem. The multiple plies
would seem to reduce this effect, but the softer wood could also help
(springier) or hurt (get beat up more).

I suppose the best thing is to just try and see! I should know in
about a year....

-BR

I read somewhere a suggestion to open up the insert kerf slightly. Maybe
about two swipes with a file on either side, just enough to give the
teeth a tiny bit of clearance.

Think that would help in this case?

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com writes:
Bruce wrote in
:

I get chips, etc, near where the teeth re-enter. Basically it's from
the hammering that occurs at this spot. I know that oak is a bit
splintery and was wondering if that is my problem. The multiple plies
would seem to reduce this effect, but the softer wood could also help
(springier) or hurt (get beat up more).

I suppose the best thing is to just try and see! I should know in
about a year....

-BR

I read somewhere a suggestion to open up the insert kerf slightly. Maybe
about two swipes with a file on either side, just enough to give the
teeth a tiny bit of clearance.

Think that would help in this case?

Puckdropper

I would have thought that between thousands of rotations per minute plus
the slight wobble & vibrations in any setup that there soon would be
enough clearance.

That being said, on my zero clearance insert I do seem to hear a bit of
a woosh or whistle or some such sound but I always attributed it to air
being forced through a tighter space than with the original wide
clearance insert.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/25/10 7:27 PM, Bruce wrote:
I get chips, etc, near where the teeth re-enter. Basically it's from the
hammering that occurs at this spot. I know that oak is a bit splintery and
was wondering if that is my problem. The multiple plies would seem to reduce
this effect, but the softer wood could also help (springier) or hurt (get
beat up more).

I suppose the best thing is to just try and see! I should know in about a
year....

-BR

Oh, I see. I haven't noticed any of that.
But they're so easy to make, I guess I'll just whip another one out, if
it happens. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 22:08:04 -0600, blueman wrote
(in article ):

Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com writes:

I read somewhere a suggestion to open up the insert kerf slightly. Maybe
about two swipes with a file on either side, just enough to give the
teeth a tiny bit of clearance.

Think that would help in this case?

Puckdropper

I would have thought that between thousands of rotations per minute plus
the slight wobble & vibrations in any setup that there soon would be
enough clearance.

That being said, on my zero clearance insert I do seem to hear a bit of
a woosh or whistle or some such sound but I always attributed it to air
being forced through a tighter space than with the original wide
clearance insert.

Yup, mine tends to get a tad wider on it's own, probably from flexing a bit
as I cut various things that tend to side-load the blade a bit (think really
thin crosscuts to sneak up on a fit).

I'm going to use my template and knock out a few with some Ruskie BB I have.
Being perfectly flat and smooth in these small sizes (plus a use for all that
scrap!), I think it may convince me to switch.

-BR

zero clearance insert PHT[_2_] Woodworking 30 January 25th 09 02:03 PM
How do I cut the slot in a zero clearance insert? Owen Lawrence Woodworking 15 November 11th 07 07:40 PM
ZERO-CLEARANCE INSERT J T Woodworking 9 September 5th 06 12:16 AM
ZERO-CLEARANCE INSERT J T Woodworking 3 January 30th 06 03:28 PM
Zero Clearance Insert Mike Pio Woodworking 57 November 12th 04 01:40 AM