Posted to rec.woodworking
J T

Default ZERO-CLEARANCE INSERT

http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/sto...ml&catref=wd47

First one I made was for a Shopsmith. I looked at the price they
were asking to buy one, and made one, no prob. In fact, I made about a
half-dozen, all at one go. Used think plywood, every simple actually.

JOAT
You only need two tools: WD-40, and duct tape. If it doesn't move and
it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Wood Butcher

They left out a key step. Many saws will not lower the
blade sufficiently to install the new ZCI. Therefore ...
BEFORE removing the new ZCI from the original insert,
install the assembly in the saw (w/ the ZCI on top).
Clamp a 2x4 across them to hold them down.
Turn on the saw and raise the blade until it just starts
coming thru the ZCI.
Turn off the saw and separate the ZCI from the original
insert.

Art

"J T" wrote in message

http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/sto...ml&catref=wd47

First one I made was for a Shopsmith. I looked at the price they
were asking to buy one, and made one, no prob. In fact, I made about a
half-dozen, all at one go. Used think plywood, every simple actually.

JOAT
You only need two tools: WD-40, and duct tape. If it doesn't move and
it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Pop

"J T" wrote in message
:
http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/sto...ml&catref=wd47
:
: First one I made was for a Shopsmith. I looked at the
price they
: were asking to buy one, and made one, no prob. In fact, I made
about a
: half-dozen, all at one go. Used think plywood, every simple
actually.

I never thought about doing it that way, but on second thought,
what I did made a better fitting insert. It's probably becuase
my Delta TS isn't the most expensive in the world, plus the
insert needed a shoulder to fit the opening properly. So I
just traced the existing pattern onto some 3/8" ply with a dull
pencil and cut it out on the outside of the line - fit came out
perfect; hardest part was getting the shoulder accurately routed.
Then a belt-sand, and it was ready to wax.

BTW, used a couple of your TS miter sled ideas you referenced;
they work great! Keep 'em coming if that's what you enjoy!

Pop