Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shop Made Zero Clearance Insert

Bruce wrote in
:

I get chips, etc, near where the teeth re-enter. Basically it's from
the hammering that occurs at this spot. I know that oak is a bit
splintery and was wondering if that is my problem. The multiple plies
would seem to reduce this effect, but the softer wood could also help
(springier) or hurt (get beat up more).

I suppose the best thing is to just try and see! I should know in
about a year....

-BR

I read somewhere a suggestion to open up the insert kerf slightly. Maybe
about two swipes with a file on either side, just enough to give the
teeth a tiny bit of clearance.

Think that would help in this case?

Puckdropper