Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Must-have tool.

So this week I installed some cabinets in a new restaurant in
Rochester and somehow or another my favorite hammer disappeared. It's
a small Craftsman brand hammer with a red rubber head on one side and
a yellow plastic head on the other. It sits in the hamer loop of my
Carhartt pants all day every day while I'm in the shop and I guess I
didn't realize just how much I used it. It's perfect for tapping
parts into alignment and I absolutely can't live without it now. So I
sprung for the additional $10 and got myself another. Peace has been
restored in my universe. Just thought I'd mention it because it's
such a handy tool and I'd recommend it to any woodworker.

JP
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/19/2010 3:21 PM, Jay Pique wrote:
So this week I installed some cabinets in a new restaurant in
Rochester and somehow or another my favorite hammer disappeared. It's
a small Craftsman brand hammer with a red rubber head on one side and
a yellow plastic head on the other. It sits in the hamer loop of my
Carhartt pants all day every day while I'm in the shop and I guess I
didn't realize just how much I used it. It's perfect for tapping
parts into alignment and I absolutely can't live without it now. So I
sprung for the additional $10 and got myself another. Peace has been
restored in my universe. Just thought I'd mention it because it's
such a handy tool and I'd recommend it to any woodworker.

Know what you mean. My "pacifier" is a saddle square that stays in an
apron pocket. If it's not there, I go looking for it until it is. I lost
the old one on the last cabinet job, and bought two this time.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
So this week I installed some cabinets in a new restaurant in
Rochester and somehow or another my favorite hammer disappeared. It's
a small Craftsman brand hammer with a red rubber head on one side and
a yellow plastic head on the other. It sits in the hamer loop of my
Carhartt pants all day every day while I'm in the shop and I guess I
didn't realize just how much I used it. It's perfect for tapping
parts into alignment and I absolutely can't live without it now. So I
sprung for the additional $10 and got myself another. Peace has been
restored in my universe. Just thought I'd mention it because it's
such a handy tool and I'd recommend it to any woodworker.

JP

If your luck is like mine, it will turn up almost immediately after you buy
the replacement. I have had 3 pocket knives and a wrecking bar turn up that
way. :~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 19, 4:33*pm, Swingman wrote:
[...]

Mine is an old, beat up, half broken 16' tape measure. It has a small
body that I like. I haven't seen any like it until I went to the BORG
last week. They actually had them but packaged with a larger 25'. I
might breakdown and buy it and give the 25' away.

Allen
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 13:21:36 -0700 (PDT), Jay Pique
wrote:

So this week I installed some cabinets in a new restaurant in
Rochester and somehow or another my favorite hammer disappeared. It's
a small Craftsman brand hammer with a red rubber head on one side and
a yellow plastic head on the other. It sits in the hamer loop of my
Carhartt pants all day every day while I'm in the shop and I guess I
didn't realize just how much I used it. It's perfect for tapping
parts into alignment and I absolutely can't live without it now. So I
sprung for the additional $10 and got myself another. Peace has been
restored in my universe. Just thought I'd mention it because it's
such a handy tool and I'd recommend it to any woodworker.

JP

Sounds like a good tool. I don't need to go buy one, though. I just
found one just like it at a new restaurant.....
--DS

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote

If your luck is like mine, it will turn up almost immediately after you
buy the replacement. I have had 3 pocket knives and a wrecking bar turn
up that way. :~)

Doncha know Leon?

That is an excellent way to find tools!

Works most of the time.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"allen476" wrote

Mine is an old, beat up, half broken 16' tape measure. It has a small
body that I like. I haven't seen any like it until I went to the BORG
last week. They actually had them but packaged with a larger 25'. I
might breakdown and buy it and give the 25' away.
=================

I have a big monstosity of a tape that my wife got for me. It is a bright,
neon color. I found the perfect use for it.

I leave it in the house on top of an enertainment center. My wife can locate
it, doesn't lose it and can measure anything she wants with it.

She doesn't steal my regular tape measures and has something big and
colorful enough, she doesn't lose it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/19/2010 4:00 PM, Leon wrote:
If your luck is like mine, it will turn up almost immediately after you buy
the replacement. I have had 3 pocket knives and a wrecking bar turn up that
way. :~)

Yep, and no matter how long you put off buying the replacement, the old one
won't turn up until you do. :-)

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/19/2010 7:15 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:
I have a big monstosity of a tape that my wife got for me. It is a bright,
neon color. I found the perfect use for it.

I leave it in the house on top of an enertainment center. My wife can locate
it, doesn't lose it and can measure anything she wants with it.

She doesn't steal my regular tape measures and has something big and
colorful enough, she doesn't lose it.

Your wife loses stuff? Hmm, I'm not familiar with that concept... :-)

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve Turner" wrote in message
On 3/19/2010 4:00 PM, Leon wrote:
If your luck is like mine, it will turn up almost immediately after you
buy
the replacement. I have had 3 pocket knives and a wrecking bar turn up
that
way. :~)

Yep, and no matter how long you put off buying the replacement, the old
one won't turn up until you do. :-)

..
Eggs sackly! Almost with out fail within a day or two.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 16:00:35 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

If your luck is like mine, it will turn up almost immediately after you
buy
the replacement. I have had 3 pocket knives and a wrecking bar turn up
that
way. :~)

I used to buy really nice expensive pocket knives. I always lost
them. I finally gave up and bought a nice but inexpenisve Case, and
I've had it for about 35 years now.

I lost 3 Buck's and then about 28 years ago bought a Kershaw, I have not
lost it yet. LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

If your luck is like mine, it will turn up almost immediately after you
buy
the replacement. I have had 3 pocket knives and a wrecking bar turn up
that
way. :~)

I used to buy really nice expensive pocket knives. I always lost
them. I finally gave up and bought a nice but inexpenisve Case, and
I've had it for about 35 years now.

I lost 3 Buck's and then about 28 years ago bought a Kershaw, I have not
lost it yet. LOL

Buy a Swiss Army knife ... that's one yuppie POS that you can't throw
away without someone bringing it back to you.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in
:

"Steve Turner" wrote in message

Yep, and no matter how long you put off buying the replacement, the
old one won't turn up until you do. :-)

.
Eggs sackly! Almost with out fail within a day or two.

The next time I buy a 2' level, I'm buying one of those key finders for
it. Next time it gets lost, I can walk around pressing the "find"
button.

One of these days, that level will show up again... Get used, lost, and
not show up for another 6-12 months.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

So this week I installed some cabinets in a new restaurant in
Rochester and somehow or another my favorite hammer disappeared. It's
a small Craftsman brand hammer with a red rubber head on one side and
a yellow plastic head on the other. It sits in the hamer loop of my
Carhartt pants all day every day while I'm in the shop and I guess I
didn't realize just how much I used it. It's perfect for tapping
parts into alignment and I absolutely can't live without it now. So I
sprung for the additional $10 and got myself another. Peace has been
restored in my universe. Just thought I'd mention it because it's
such a handy tool and I'd recommend it to any woodworker.

JP

Hate the number of tools I lost. Fortunately its amazing how many I
found up in ceilings and roofs and all the places I lost mine.

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

If your luck is like mine, it will turn up almost immediately after you
buy
the replacement. I have had 3 pocket knives and a wrecking bar turn up
that
way. :~)

I used to buy really nice expensive pocket knives. I always lost
them. I finally gave up and bought a nice but inexpenisve Case, and
I've had it for about 35 years now.

I lost 3 Buck's and then about 28 years ago bought a Kershaw, I have not
lost it yet. LOL

No way! Almost the same story here (except I probably lost a lot more than
three, and they weren't all Bucks); I was _always_ losing pocket knives, but
about 18 years ago my mother in law bought me a Kershaw and it's still in my
pocket today...

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

So this week I installed some cabinets in a new restaurant in
Rochester and somehow or another my favorite hammer disappeared. It's
a small Craftsman brand hammer with a red rubber head on one side and
a yellow plastic head on the other. It sits in the hamer loop of my
Carhartt pants all day every day while I'm in the shop and I guess I
didn't realize just how much I used it. It's perfect for tapping
parts into alignment and I absolutely can't live without it now. So I
sprung for the additional $10 and got myself another. Peace has been
restored in my universe. Just thought I'd mention it because it's
such a handy tool and I'd recommend it to any woodworker.

JP

....I love mine, too. It resides in my shop...but when I do a cabinet
install job I've got a 2lb dead blow that gets lost regularly, lol,
and gets found again or nothing else gets done!

cg
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

If your luck is like mine, it will turn up almost immediately after you
buy
the replacement. I have had 3 pocket knives and a wrecking bar turn up
that
way. :~)

I used to buy really nice expensive pocket knives. I always lost
them. I finally gave up and bought a nice but inexpenisve Case, and
I've had it for about 35 years now.

I lost 3 Buck's and then about 28 years ago bought a Kershaw, I have not
lost it yet. LOL

No way! Almost the same story here (except I probably lost a lot more
than three, and they weren't all Bucks); I was _always_ losing pocket
knives, but about 18 years ago my mother in law bought me a Kershaw and
it's still in my pocket today...

Boy wouldn't tham make a cool ad for Kershaw. The knife you cannot loose.
LOL. Rethinking back, I probably got the Kershaw about 20 years ago.
I gotta say, the Kershaw is a fine pocket knife. I has never gotten loose
up like the Buck's did.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/20/2010 11:57 AM, Leon wrote:

Boy wouldn't tham make a cool ad for Kershaw. The knife you cannot loose.
LOL. Rethinking back, I probably got the Kershaw about 20 years ago.
I gotta say, the Kershaw is a fine pocket knife. I has never gotten loose
up like the Buck's did.

Too late ... Schrade Walden did that with their "Uncle Henry" knives
over 50 years ago, in which the "lifetime guarantee" included loss.

Since I simply can NOT lose a POS knife, but I can always somehow manage
to lose the good ones, I availed myself of that a few times early in my
yoot ... probably why they no longer do it (I'm assuming they got smart
and quit doing it?)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

Boy wouldn't tham make a cool ad for Kershaw. The knife you cannot loose.
LOL. Rethinking back, I probably got the Kershaw about 20 years ago.
I gotta say, the Kershaw is a fine pocket knife. I has never gotten loose
up like the Buck's did.

+

Geeeeeeez! May I restate, It has never gotten loose like the Bucks did.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 19, 4:21*pm, Jay Pique wrote:
So this week I installed some cabinets in a new restaurant in
Rochester and somehow or another my favorite hammer disappeared. *It's
a small Craftsman brand hammer with a red rubber head on one side and
a yellow plastic head on the other. *It sits in the hamer loop of my
Carhartt pants all day every day while I'm in the shop and I guess I
didn't realize just how much I used it. *It's perfect for tapping
parts into alignment and I absolutely can't live without it now. *So I
sprung for the additional $10 and got myself another. *Peace has been
restored in my universe. *Just thought I'd mention it because it's
such a handy tool and I'd recommend it to any woodworker.

JP

Two tools (aside from shop-based favourites like a speed square) A 2
pound dead blow and my personal companion, http://tinyurl.com/ygjzj4u

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 20, 2:03*pm, Robatoy wrote:
[...]

Forgot to mention that I really like that knife because it opens with
one hand.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
On 3/20/2010 11:57 AM, Leon wrote:

Too late ... Schrade Walden did that with their "Uncle Henry" knives over
50 years ago, in which the "lifetime guarantee" included loss.

Since I simply can NOT lose a POS knife, but I can always somehow manage
to lose the good ones, I availed myself of that a few times early in my
yoot ... probably why they no longer do it (I'm assuming they got smart
and quit doing it?)

Not only do they not do that anymore, they went out of business several
years ago.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
On 3/20/2010 11:57 AM, Leon wrote:

Boy wouldn't tham make a cool ad for Kershaw. The knife you cannot
loose.
LOL. Rethinking back, I probably got the Kershaw about 20 years ago.
I gotta say, the Kershaw is a fine pocket knife. I has never gotten
loose
up like the Buck's did.

Too late ... Schrade Walden did that with their "Uncle Henry" knives over
50 years ago, in which the "lifetime guarantee" included loss.

Nooooo that is diffferent.... "lifetime guarantee against loss" they
replace it if you loose it. The Kershaw "Can't" be lost. LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

CW wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message
On 3/20/2010 11:57 AM, Leon wrote:

Too late ... Schrade Walden did that with their "Uncle Henry" knives over
50 years ago, in which the "lifetime guarantee" included loss.

Since I simply can NOT lose a POS knife, but I can always somehow manage
to lose the good ones, I availed myself of that a few times early in my
yoot ... probably why they no longer do it (I'm assuming they got smart
and quit doing it?)

Not only do they not do that anymore, they went out of business several
years ago.

Well, don't suppose that those two things just _might_ be related???

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/20/2010 1:31 PM, Leon wrote:
wrote in message
On 3/20/2010 11:57 AM, Leon wrote:

Boy wouldn't tham make a cool ad for Kershaw. The knife you cannot
loose.
LOL. Rethinking back, I probably got the Kershaw about 20 years ago.
I gotta say, the Kershaw is a fine pocket knife. I has never gotten
loose
up like the Buck's did.

Too late ... Schrade Walden did that with their "Uncle Henry" knives over
50 years ago, in which the "lifetime guarantee" included loss.

Nooooo that is diffferent.... "lifetime guarantee against loss" they
replace it if you loose it. The Kershaw "Can't" be lost. LOL

Wanna bet? ... I'll trade knives with you tonight, and we'll see in a
few days.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hi Steve=
I like your rockers. Beautiful work.
Smitty
##################################

On Mar 19, 4:18*pm, Steve Turner
wrote:
On 3/19/2010 4:00 PM, Leon wrote:

If your luck is like mine, it will turn up almost immediately after you buy
the replacement. *I have had 3 pocket knives and a wrecking bar turn up that
way. *:~)

Yep, and no matter how long you put off buying the replacement, the old one
won't turn up until you do. *:-)

--
See Nad. *See Nad go. *Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 13:21:36 -0700 (PDT), the infamous Jay Pique
scrawled the following:

So this week I installed some cabinets in a new restaurant in
Rochester and somehow or another my favorite hammer disappeared. It's
a small Craftsman brand hammer with a red rubber head on one side and
a yellow plastic head on the other. It sits in the hamer loop of my
Carhartt pants all day every day while I'm in the shop and I guess I
didn't realize just how much I used it. It's perfect for tapping
parts into alignment and I absolutely can't live without it now. So I
sprung for the additional $10 and got myself another. Peace has been
restored in my universe. Just thought I'd mention it because it's
such a handy tool and I'd recommend it to any woodworker.

I found myself without the correct density of rubber hammer for a job
and sprung for a real live Nupla with 4 different screw-on heads and a
fiberglass handle. Very nice.

--
If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we
shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 22:03:36 -0500, the infamous Swingman
scrawled the following:

wrote:

If your luck is like mine, it will turn up almost immediately after you
buy
the replacement. I have had 3 pocket knives and a wrecking bar turn up
that
way. :~)

I used to buy really nice expensive pocket knives. I always lost
them. I finally gave up and bought a nice but inexpenisve Case, and
I've had it for about 35 years now.

I lost 3 Buck's and then about 28 years ago bought a Kershaw, I have not
lost it yet. LOL

Buy a Swiss Army knife ... that's one yuppie POS that you can't throw
away without someone bringing it back to you.

Aw, yer taste is all in yer mouth, Swingy. I have a lovely little pal
in my Victorinox Classic SD. Handy toothpick, tweezers (works on metal
and wood splinters), small knife, scissors, nail file. I use it daily.
I also have chisels, drawknives, box cutters, linoleum cutters,
machetes, and half a dozen other blades for other things. Twine,
boxes, nails, teeth, and splinters? This one is just -made- for it,
and small enough to fit in my pocket without a single problem. I've
used one for at least 35 years. (none lost came back, either.)

So THERE! Mr. Swissdisser. Pffffffft!

--
If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we
shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do.
-- Samuel Butler
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote

Aw, yer taste is all in yer mouth, Swingy. I have a lovely little pal
in my Victorinox Classic SD. Handy toothpick, tweezers (works on metal
and wood splinters), small knife, scissors, nail file. I use it daily.
I also have chisels, drawknives, box cutters, linoleum cutters,
machetes, and half a dozen other blades for other things. Twine,
boxes, nails, teeth, and splinters? This one is just -made- for it,
and small enough to fit in my pocket without a single problem. I've
used one for at least 35 years. (none lost came back, either.)

I have the same knife. I have gone through several of them. My wife has
washed a couple of them too. But they still work OK.

Ia addition to being a small multipurpose tool, I use it to open letters and
packages. And its most important function, I can trim nose, ear and mustache
hair with it!

Try doing that with a big ole pocket knife.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Chasgroh wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

cg,

HarborFright sells deadblows that are neon orange.

I'll bet those would be harder to lose. On the other hand if mine was
yellow with black stripes I could probably loose it.

Steve
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 21, 1:34*am, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
"Larry Jaques" *wrote

[...]

MY Dutch Army Knife has a small motor which holds a routerbit and the
battery also powers small wheels which makes the DAK travel across a 4
x 8 sheet cutting out patterns via GPS and ordinary uploaded G-code
files....AND it has toothpik.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve" wrote:

HarborFright sells deadblows that are neon orange.

Can't comment on the orange ones but the black ones will leave a mark.

DAMHIKT

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 11:03:41 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

[...]

....we're birds of a feather, only mine is a Kershaw that hooks onto
the inside of my right pocket and flips out with my index finger and a
flip of the wrist...that blade's dug into *many* strange and wonderful
places!

cg
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

I use a speed square a lot too. I took the extra metal parts off a
big Swanson 12" super-speed square and use it just like...uhh.. a big
square. Very handy for marking long screw lines, squaring up carcases
and such.

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

Buy a Swiss Army knife ... that's one yuppie POS that you can't throw
away without someone bringing it back to you.

I've been carrying the same Swiss Army knife around for about 30
years... My most used tool by far. The knives (it has two) are the
least used part of it. The magnifying "glass" is probably the most used
as my eyes age, but the tweezers, screw drivers (Phillips and slotted),
bottle openers and scissors all get used more than the knife blades...
Why would anyone carry around just a knife?

--
Jack
"I have not failed. I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work."
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/21/2010 10:50 AM, Jack Stein wrote:
Swingman wrote:

Buy a Swiss Army knife ... that's one yuppie POS that you can't throw
away without someone bringing it back to you.

I've been carrying the same Swiss Army knife around for about 30
years... My most used tool by far. The knives (it has two) are the least
used part of it. The magnifying "glass" is probably the most used as my
eyes age, but the tweezers, screw drivers (Phillips and slotted), bottle
openers and scissors all get used more than the knife blades... Why
would anyone carry around just a knife?

I have two SAK's ... like I say, I can't get rid of the damned things.

Besides, right tool for the job:

If I need an "all purpose" tool on site on in the shop, a SAK will not
do the job.

For my three piece suit pocket when I'm hobnobbing with office effete
elite, they work just fine .... and I can always find them.

www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike M wrote:

Hate the number of tools I lost. Fortunately its amazing how many I
found up in ceilings and roofs and all the places I lost mine.

When I was gutting the bathroom in my first house, built around 1910-20
or so, when I opened the false ceiling, there lay the nicest, large,
high quality steel linesman pliers/cutter I've seen. One of my most
cherished tools. I think of the guy that lost them every time I use it,
or even look at it, even though I have no idea who he was, he is still
moocho appreciated:-)

The moral is, if you are going to lose a tool, make it a high quality
one, so you'll be appreciated for many years to come...
--
Jack
Please don't tell Obama what comes after a Trillion!
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Jack Stein wrote in -
september.org:

I've been carrying the same Swiss Army knife around for about 30
years...

Mine disappeared into the #$@%cking hands of the TSA idiocy.
Yes it probably could have been used as a weapon, but still - here is an
elderly guy who likes to peel his oranges with a knife ...

--
Best regards
Han