Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Must-have tool.

On Mar 21, 12:47*pm, Han wrote:
[snip]

- here is an
elderly guy who likes to peel his oranges with a knife ...

Spiral or quadrant/sectional along vertical axis?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 23:48:37 -0700, the infamous "Lew Hodgett"
scrawled the following:

"Steve" wrote:

HarborFright sells deadblows that are neon orange.

Can't comment on the orange ones but the black ones will leave a mark.

DAMHIKT

On the protector board, which you hit instead of marking up your
project? OK. So, who cares?

--
If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we
shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 19, 9:03 pm, Swingman wrote:
On 3/19/2010 9:37 PM, Leon wrote:

Buy a Swiss Army knife ... that's one yuppie POS that you can't throw
away without someone bringing it back to you.

No kidding. I have tried to carry one of those things, but growing up
with a pocket knife in my pocket (think your first scout knife) they
don't do the trick. I almost never need a tool that does a few things
on a small scale in a small way. I think I would carry a multitool
before I carried one of those. But that being said, the sell more of
those now that ever.

I got my first pocket knife at age 5. I made a large "trimming cut"
on my Mom's drain board, and after I got my hide trimmed pretty well,
the knife was removed from my person.

It was returned on year later with a stiff warning.

I can't imagine NOT having a pocket knife, and I have more than I
would care to admit. I carry two at work. Both vary in rotation, so
it depends on which one I feel like carrying and which ones are
sharp. Almost all my knives will shave hair; they are supposed to
cut!

The small knife in my pocket is my splinter picker, and is used for
any fine work along those lines. It slices easily into fingers and
arms to remove wood, etc. It is great at making wood plugs for screws
when I am doing door repairs. Most of the time its most important job
is to cut the traditional "V" cut into the back of an occasional
cigar.

The larger knife is one I clip to my pocket. It goes in the pocket
with only the clip showing. This knife gets punished. It does light
prying, cuts out old caulk, cuts material banding straps, opens
cardboard boxes with equipment or materials, removes cuts the end of
caulk tubes, etc., etc. It also does ugly utility cutting if needed
such as shingles, felt paper and sheetrock if I am stuck without my
utility knife.

Strangely, with all the new super steels out there and all the
indestructible handle materials, the knife I like to carry on the
weekends (or when I am off) is my old fashioned Barlow. This beauty
is fashioned after a 100 year old pattern of blades, and is of course,
the traditional tradesman work knife. It has D2 steel, and amber
boned saw cut handles and is gorgeous. This one will shave anytime as
I keep it as sharp as I can get it without stropping. This was a
birthday present to me and it is in my pocket whenever I can work it
in.

It's a good time for pocket knives as there is a renaissance in
quality, design, materials and workmanship. There are about 4 makers
out there that are in America that seem to be making good ground with
traditionalists.

Since I tend to have mine for decades, that't a great thing for me and
American business!

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-03-21 13:16:36 -0400, Robatoy said:

On Mar 21, 12:47*pm, Han wrote:
[snip]

- here is an
elderly guy who likes to peel his oranges with a knife ...

Spiral or quadrant/sectional along vertical axis?

I vote for spiral -- works good on grapefruits, too.

Same little knife. I have two -- lose one and the other appears.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 21 Mar 2010 16:47:21 GMT, the infamous Han
scrawled the following:

Jack Stein wrote in -
september.org:

I've been carrying the same Swiss Army knife around for about 30
years...

Mine disappeared into the #$@%cking hands of the TSA idiocy.
Yes it probably could have been used as a weapon, but still - here is an
elderly guy who likes to peel his oranges with a knife ...

I took a trip with Mom and she got doublesearched for her (blunt
nosed) sewing scissors. I sailed through the inspection with a
sharpened 9" pencil 18" from the TSA inspector's eye, in my shirt
pocket. My Victorinox had to be in checked luggage, as did my 4"
Crescent wrench, my 5' blade/philips electronics screwdriver, my
fingernail clippers, and some other tools.

I feel much safer now that babies can't have their sterile bottles on
the airplane, don't you? sigh

--
If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we
shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do.
-- Samuel Butler
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 10:16:36 -0700 (PDT), the infamous Robatoy
scrawled the following:

On Mar 21, 12:47*pm, Han wrote:
[snip]

- here is an
elderly guy who likes to peel his oranges with a knife ...

Spiral or quadrant/sectional along vertical axis?

QS, one-handed, with my katana, of course.

--
If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we
shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do.
-- Samuel Butler
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 21 Mar 2010 06:10:41 GMT, Steve wrote:

Chasgroh wrote in
:

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 13:21:36 -0700 (PDT), Jay Pique
wrote:

So this week I installed some cabinets in a new restaurant in
Rochester and somehow or another my favorite hammer disappeared. It's
a small Craftsman brand hammer with a red rubber head on one side and
a yellow plastic head on the other. It sits in the hamer loop of my
Carhartt pants all day every day while I'm in the shop and I guess I
didn't realize just how much I used it. It's perfect for tapping
parts into alignment and I absolutely can't live without it now. So I
sprung for the additional $10 and got myself another. Peace has been
restored in my universe. Just thought I'd mention it because it's
such a handy tool and I'd recommend it to any woodworker.

JP

...I love mine, too. It resides in my shop...but when I do a cabinet
install job I've got a 2lb dead blow that gets lost regularly, lol,
and gets found again or nothing else gets done!

cg

cg,

HarborFright sells deadblows that are neon orange.

I'll bet those would be harder to lose. On the other hand if mine was
yellow with black stripes I could probably loose it.

The problem is that too many tools are neon orange or yellow now. They're
camouflaging each other.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message

AND it has toothpik.