Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Harbor Freight Multi-tool WOW!

Lee Michaels wrote:

They get their foot in the door with a cheap knockoff. Then they
"upgrade" you to a better model. Marketing is alive and well at
Harbor Freight.

If so, they're doing it backwards. The best method is to start with the
advanced model.

In years gone by, Polaroid was the master of this technique. A new model
camera appears on the market for $200. After a year or so, they change some
of the metal parts for plastic, now it's $150. After another year, they
change the packaging, color, and eliminate the cheesy accessories. New price
$75.

Point is, if some folks are willing to pay $200, give them the chance to do
so before you offer the product at $75.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/27/2010 5:41 AM spake thus:

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 18:54:25 -0800, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

On 2/26/2010 3:43 PM -MIKE- spake thus:

On 2010-02-26,
wrote:

I've had mine for about a year and it's saved me a ton of time, but:
Unless you really torque it, the blades tend to vibrate loose.

I thought this was THE major problem with the HF units and made them no
bargain. Has someone figured out a solution or are they OK if used
only in the occassional home DIY environment?

I've never experience them coming loose.

Apparently the old "multifunction tool" (the one I got for $35
recently) has this problem. After looking at the mounting system
for the cutting tools, I can see why: there are 4 little nubs on
the mounting plate that could easily get worn down.

As the nubs go into holes in the attached blade, how are they going to
"wear down", unless you mount the bald incorrectly? Do you expect a
problem with keys in keyways wearing down?

Easy; since the "spindle" with the nubs is diecast, and the blades are
steel, the edge of the blades could easily wear into the fairly small
nubs. In fact, I seem to remember this very problem being reported here
(or was it on alt.home.repair?) for this tool.

I guess if it were me designing the thing, I would have bored holes in
the spindle and press-fitted steel pins there.

- a Usenet "apology"
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-02-26,
wrote:

I've had mine for about a year and it's saved me a ton of time, but:
Unless you really torque it, the blades tend to vibrate loose.

I thought this was THE major problem with the HF units and made them no
bargain. Has someone figured out a solution or are they OK if used
only in the occassional home DIY environment?

I've never experience them coming loose.

Apparently the old "multifunction tool" (the one I got for $35
recently) has this problem. After looking at the mounting system
for the cutting tools, I can see why: there are 4 little nubs on
the mounting plate that could easily get worn down.

As the nubs go into holes in the attached blade, how are they going to
"wear down", unless you mount the bald incorrectly? Do you expect a
problem with keys in keyways wearing down?

Easy; since the "spindle" with the nubs is diecast,

It's not!

and the blades are
steel, the edge of the blades could easily wear into the fairly small
nubs. In fact, I seem to remember this very problem being reported here
(or was it on alt.home.repair?) for this tool.

I guess if it were me designing the thing, I would have bored holes in
the spindle and press-fitted steel pins there.

Well surprise, surprise, surprise! I just got home and looked at my
Harbor Freight Multi-tool (to be SURE before I posted a wild guess,
like you did). Guess what! They used your design!!!

The nubs are hardened steel pins set in holes in the spindle.

Posted to rec.woodworking

The HF tool is simply a copy of the Fein multimaster which IMHO should
be designated the tool of the Century. I'm now on my second Fein and
even after 15 years or so I never cease to discover new uses for this
incredible tool. However, I have always been offended by the
outrageous and unjustifiable prices of blades and other accessories.
That is changing. Apparently their patent ran out which accounts for
the newly appearing copies, i.e., Dremel, P-C, HF. The blades, etc.
produced by the imitators, other than perhaps the scraper, can not
hold a candle to the Fein accessories. The good news is that there
are sites on the web which are now selling Fein-quality accessories
for 70 to 80% less than the Fein originals. As for the older Fein's
slipping. Yes, they did but I rather believe the design change was a
step they took to discourage knockoffs as their patent was expiring.
I'm looking forward to increased competition in the accessories since
basically all the accessories are interchangeable with the
Fein--though not necessarily vice versa. As much as I love this tool I
was always galled at having to by $50.00+ for a stamped blade that
probably cost no more than a dollar to produce.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe Bleau" wrote in message
The HF tool is simply a copy of the Fein multimaster which IMHO should
be designated the tool of the Century. I'm now on my second Fein and
even after 15 years or so I never cease to discover new uses for this
incredible tool. However, I have always been offended by the
outrageous and unjustifiable prices of blades and other accessories.
That is changing. Apparently their patent ran out which accounts for
the newly appearing copies, i.e., Dremel, P-C, HF. The blades, etc.
produced by the imitators, other than perhaps the scraper, can not
hold a candle to the Fein accessories. The good news is that there
are sites on the web which are now selling Fein-quality accessories
for 70 to 80% less than the Fein originals.

Got any specific sites you recommend?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Easy; since the "spindle" with the nubs is diecast, and the blades are
steel, the edge of the blades could easily wear into the fairly small
nubs. In fact, I seem to remember this very problem being reported here
(or was it on alt.home.repair?) for this tool.

I guess if it were me designing the thing, I would have bored holes in
the spindle and press-fitted steel pins there.

I think you're making a big thing out of the quality of a $35 power tool...
It works, the blades are cheap, the tool is cheap.. use it until it needs
replacing and spend another $35..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 18:03:44 -0800, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

Well, I just looked at mine and whaddya know, you're right. So I guess I
stand (or sit in this case) corrected.

And theoretically if the pins ever did wear down, they could (maybe) be
replaced (or for that matter, just get a new "spindle" from HF).

That would be like taking a goldfish to the vet.. He'd just tell you to get
another one...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/1/2010 11:38 PM mac davis spake thus:

wrote:

Well, I just looked at mine and whaddya know, you're right. So I
guess I stand (or sit in this case) corrected.

And theoretically if the pins ever did wear down, they could
(maybe) be replaced (or for that matter, just get a new "spindle"
from HF).

That would be like taking a goldfish to the vet.. He'd just tell you to get
another one...

Yeah, you're probably right. The whole tool should be considered a FRU
(field-replaceable unit).

- a Usenet "apology"
Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe Bleau wrote:
[...]

A DOLLAR? Maybe for the diamond studded one...

I can't imagine the production costs to be greater than two-cents.

Giving Fein their due, however, they, like the pharmaceutical companies,
needed to have a tremendous mark-up to be able to fund the development of
their next-generation product.

No, wait...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 1, 11:18*pm, Joe Bleau wrote:
[...]

Fein makes a ring with grit that fits between the blade and the arbour
which greatly reduces slippagea. Slippage has not really been a
problem for me although it has happened on occasion.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 1, 11:35*pm, "LDosser" wrote:
"Joe Bleau" wrote in message

The HF tool is simply a copy of the Fein multimaster which IMHO should
be designated the tool of the Century. *I'm now on my second Fein and
even after 15 years or so I never cease to discover new uses for this
incredible tool. *However, I have always been offended by the
outrageous and unjustifiable prices of blades and other accessories.
That is changing. *Apparently their patent ran out which accounts for
the newly appearing copies, i.e., Dremel, P-C, HF. *The blades, etc.
produced by the imitators, other than perhaps the scraper, can not
hold a candle to the Fein accessories. *The good news is that there
are sites on the web which are now selling Fein-quality accessories
for 70 to 80% less than the Fein originals.

Got any specific sites you recommend?

Here's a discussion:
http://tinyurl.com/yzkamrr
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 03/01/2010 10:18 PM, Joe Bleau wrote:
[...]

Anybody have a HF link to this incredible tool youse guys keep going on about?

--
Repeat after me:
"I am we Todd it. I am sofa king we Todd it."
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote:

[...]

You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK !
Mandriva 2010 using KDE 4.3
Website: www.rentmyhusband.biz
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve Turner" wrote

Anybody have a HF link to this incredible tool youse guys keep going on
about?

--

Here is one. The basic one.

Here is the other. The advanced model with the variable speeds, etc.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/2/2010 1:44 PM, Steve Turner wrote:
[...]

If you search "multi function" on the HF site you'll find it--there are
two,
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=67256
and
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=67537.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 03/02/2010 12:44 PM, Steve Turner wrote:
Anybody have a HF link to this incredible tool youse guys keep going on
about?

Thanks Dawg, Lee, and J. I searched for "multi" and "multi-tool" and came up empty. I
didn't think to search for "multi-function" or "multifunction"; you'd figure "multi" would
find those, but I guess not...

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve Turner" wrote
On 03/02/2010 12:44 PM, Steve Turner wrote:
Anybody have a HF link to this incredible tool youse guys keep going on
about?

Thanks Dawg, Lee, and J. I searched for "multi" and "multi-tool" and came
up empty. I didn't think to search for "multi-function" or
"multifunction"; you'd figure "multi" would find those, but I guess not...

--

I had the same problem. I looked number of times and did not find anything.
Which is why you need the magic phrase to find anything in cyber space.

It helps a lot that Harbor Freight is actively promoting these things. I
have seen them on sale almost constantly for awhile lately. I even got a
flyer in the paper at my house recently This is the first one ever in my
city. You just about can't go outside without tripping over one of these
"multi'function" tools! Didm't you notice anything the last time you went
outside?

It is also on the Harbor Freight opening page on their website now.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 23:37:19 -0800, the infamous mac davis
scrawled the following:

wrote:

Easy; since the "spindle" with the nubs is diecast, and the blades are
steel, the edge of the blades could easily wear into the fairly small
nubs. In fact, I seem to remember this very problem being reported here
(or was it on alt.home.repair?) for this tool.

I guess if it were me designing the thing, I would have bored holes in
the spindle and press-fitted steel pins there.

I think you're making a big thing out of the quality of a $35 power tool...
It works, the blades are cheap, the tool is cheap.. use it until it needs
replacing and spend another $35..

I got an HF MFT for that price, have used it 4 times now, and I'm
still finding things new and wondrous things to do with it.

I picked up the triangle rasp (carbide grit) this weekend but haven't
used it yet. I hope they last well.

--
Pessimist: One who, when he has the choice of two evils, chooses both.
--Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 02 Mar 2010 14:04:24 -0600, the infamous Steve Turner
scrawled the following:

On 03/02/2010 12:44 PM, Steve Turner wrote:
Anybody have a HF link to this incredible tool youse guys keep going on
about?

Thanks Dawg, Lee, and J. I searched for "multi" and "multi-tool" and came up empty. I
didn't think to search for "multi-function" or "multifunction"; you'd figure "multi" would
find those, but I guess not...

"variable multi" just took me he

It appears that sanding is the only real use for the variable speed.
You can slow down the machine so it doesn't eat those ghastly
expensive (comparatively) tiny, triangular bits of sandpaper in 3
seconds. (It takes 10-12 seconds now, at the slowest speed.

--
Pessimist: One who, when he has the choice of two evils, chooses both.
--Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Posted to rec.woodworking

mac davis writes:

I'd recommend this tool to anyone that can afford it.. Just don't see how you
can go wrong at $34..

The local store sent out a flyer with two coupons
20% off
Multi-tool - $34.99
Now normally you can use one coupon or the other. Not both.

However, they forgot to remove the sale price tag, which said $34.99

So I got it for $27.99

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- writes:

From the manual...
"3. Note: Some units may have small holes inthe attachments and/or
pins on the spindle shoulder. These are not used or required for this
model."

Mine (model 67256) says on Page 8

2. Place attachment over Spindle (5) shoulder facinf
forward. Line up the holes on the attachment with the tabs on the
Spindle shoulder (See Figure A).

3. Attachmentsa may be mounted at angles up to 90 degrees left or
right. The attachment should not turn on the spindle. If it can
turn, make sure that the holes on the attachment line up with the
tabs on the spindle and tighten the cap screw securely.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/3/10 4:12 PM, Maxwell Lol wrote:
writes:

From the manual...
"3. Note: Some units may have small holes inthe attachments and/or
pins on the spindle shoulder. These are not used or required for this
model."

Mine (model 67256) says on Page 8

2. Place attachment over Spindle (5) shoulder facinf
forward. Line up the holes on the attachment with the tabs on the
Spindle shoulder (See Figure A).

3. Attachmentsa may be mounted at angles up to 90 degrees left or
right. The attachment should not turn on the spindle. If it can
turn, make sure that the holes on the attachment line up with the
tabs on the spindle and tighten the cap screw securely.

Apparently, yours falls into the "some units" category.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--