Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Harbor Freight Multi-tool WOW!

On 3/1/2010 2:46 PM spake thus:

On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 10:03:24 -0800, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

On 2/27/2010 5:41 AM
spake thus:

As the nubs go into holes in the attached blade, how are they going to
"wear down", unless you mount the bald incorrectly? Do you expect a
problem with keys in keyways wearing down?

Easy; since the "spindle" with the nubs is diecast,

It's not!

and the blades are steel, the edge of the blades could easily wear
into the fairly small nubs. In fact, I seem to remember this very
problem being reported here (or was it on alt.home.repair?) for
this tool.

I guess if it were me designing the thing, I would have bored holes
in the spindle and press-fitted steel pins there.

Well surprise, surprise, surprise! I just got home and looked at my
Harbor Freight Multi-tool (to be SURE before I posted a wild guess,
like you did). Guess what! They used your design!!!

The nubs are hardened steel pins set in holes in the spindle.

Well, I just looked at mine and whaddya know, you're right. So I guess I
stand (or sit in this case) corrected.

And theoretically if the pins ever did wear down, they could (maybe) be
replaced (or for that matter, just get a new "spindle" from HF).

- a Usenet "apology"