Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Blowing sawdust around

Amazon brought this to my attention:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Metro Vacuum ED500 DataVa 500-Watt, .75 HP Electric Duster (actually a
blower).

I know you're supposed to blow the dust off of equiptment and out of motors
every once in a while. Do you folks who do this use dedicated compressors?
This seems like it could perform dual duty (In the computer room and the
workshop), is exceptionally portable and doesn't take up as much space.
What do you think?

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message

Amazon brought this to my attention:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Metro Vacuum ED500 DataVa 500-Watt, .75 HP Electric Duster (actually a
blower).

I know you're supposed to blow the dust off of equiptment and out of
motors every once in a while. Do you folks who do this use dedicated
compressors? This seems like it could perform dual duty (In the computer
room and the workshop), is exceptionally portable and doesn't take up as
much space. What do you think?

Bill

E V E nutally you buy tools and equipment with TEFC motors, No blowing
needed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

"Bill" wrote in message

Amazon brought this to my attention:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Metro Vacuum ED500 DataVa 500-Watt, .75 HP Electric Duster (actually a
blower).

I know you're supposed to blow the dust off of equiptment and out of
motors every once in a while. Do you folks who do this use dedicated
compressors? This seems like it could perform dual duty (In the computer
room and the workshop), is exceptionally portable and doesn't take up as
much space. What do you think?

Bill

E V E nutally you buy tools and equipment with TEFC motors, No blowing
needed.

I think the real "problem" here is that I have been reading old books.
Thanks for helping to bring me up-to-date!

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 20:09:03 -0500, "Bill" wrote:

Amazon brought this to my attention:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Metro Vacuum ED500 DataVa 500-Watt, .75 HP Electric Duster (actually a
blower).

I know you're supposed to blow the dust off of equiptment and out of motors
every once in a while. Do you folks who do this use dedicated compressors?
This seems like it could perform dual duty (In the computer room and the
workshop), is exceptionally portable and doesn't take up as much space.
What do you think?

Bill

I have a compressor in the shop but try to avoid blowing dust out or off of
anything inside the shop..
I have a reducer on my DC that brings it down to 2" with a "needle head" on it..
If that won't suck the dust out of motors, pulleys, etc., than the compressor
probably wouldn't either..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/12/2010 10:38 PM, Leon wrote:
wrote in message

I know you're supposed to blow the dust off of equiptment and out of
motors every once in a while. Do you folks who do this use dedicated
compressors? This seems like it could perform dual duty (In the computer
room and the workshop), is exceptionally portable and doesn't take up as
much space. What do you think?

I would think that there should be a word of caution about the fan
system being discussed. Wood dust will explode, when it reaches the
proper concentrations. With the fan to create a uniform mixture of wood
dust and air through out the garage, you will get a bigger explosion,
when your furnace, or other system creates the spark.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Amazon brought this to my attention:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Metro Vacuum ED500 DataVa 500-Watt, .75 HP Electric Duster (actually a
blower).

I know you're supposed to blow the dust off of equiptment and out of motors
every once in a while. Do you folks who do this use dedicated compressors?
This seems like it could perform dual duty (In the computer room and the
workshop), is exceptionally portable and doesn't take up as much space.
What do you think?

Bill

First, I try to get the dust at its source with strategic placement of
DC hoses and attachments. That will help a LOT. But, to get
everything really clear of sawdust I use a blowgun and the shop air
compressor (I have one compressor).

For a computer I use a can of compressed air (it is much cleaner than
air from a compressor) to clear out the dust, maybe twice a year.
I've seen folks use a shop compressor to blow out a computer, but
probably not a wise thing to do.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

I know you're supposed to blow the dust off of equiptment and out of
motors every once in a while. Do you folks who do this use dedicated
compressors? This seems like it could perform dual duty (In the computer
room and the workshop), is exceptionally portable and doesn't take up as
much space. What do you think?

I would think that there should be a word of caution about the fan system
being discussed. Wood dust will explode, when it reaches the proper
concentrations. With the fan to create a uniform mixture of wood dust and
air through out the garage, you will get a bigger explosion, when your
furnace, or other system creates the spark.

I believe that is highly unlikely. The only time you hear of that actually
being a problem is through what a freind heard a frend read some where.
What you will need is a fire to burn the dust, but probably no explosion.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

One of the reasons I was thinking of the "fan/vaccum" is because I can't use
the cans of compressed air indoors (on my computer), due to some chemicals
in the can.

What kinds of compressors are folks using in their woodworking shops?
3-6-gallon to
fire brads, bigger for spraying finishes (this task is not on my radar
screen for the time being)?
Any sort of details would be helpful. CPOWoodworking offered a compressor,
with a nail gun,
for half price ($99) a few days ago, and I thought maybe I should have one
of these things.
I've got a lot of molding I'd like to replace sometime in the next few years
(is this the ideal way to
install that?).

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in
:

"Keith Nuttle" wrote in message
I would think that there should be a word of caution about the fan
system being discussed. Wood dust will explode, when it reaches the
proper concentrations. With the fan to create a uniform mixture of
wood dust and air through out the garage, you will get a bigger
explosion, when your furnace, or other system creates the spark.

I believe that is highly unlikely. The only time you hear of that
actually being a problem is through what a freind heard a frend read
some where. What you will need is a fire to burn the dust, but
probably no explosion.

You've probably got a better chance of finishing materials catching on
fire than sawdust building up and exploding. On Mythbusters, there was
one episode where they built this giant fireball machine. It used
powered material like sawdust (or coffee creamer), hooked to a large
compressed air tank and with some sort of fusee in the middle.

My guess is that by the time saw dust concentration was high enough in
the shop, you'd be choking or blinded by it first.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

I know you're supposed to blow the dust off of equiptment and out of
motors every once in a while. Do you folks who do this use dedicated
compressors? This seems like it could perform dual duty (In the computer
room and the workshop), is exceptionally portable and doesn't take up as
much space. What do you think?

I would think that there should be a word of caution about the fan system
being discussed. Wood dust will explode, when it reaches the proper
concentrations. With the fan to create a uniform mixture of wood dust and
air through out the garage, you will get a bigger explosion, when your
furnace, or other system creates the spark.

I believe that is highly unlikely. The only time you hear of that actually
being a problem is through what a freind heard a frend read some where.
What you will need is a fire to burn the dust, but probably no explosion.

I did not believe that spontaneous combustion was a problem either until
our house nearly caught fire from the spontaneous combustion of the
sanding dust from our hardwood floors. Fortunately we caught it at the
big smoke stage and was able to get it out of the garage.

The flammable limit of the dust from a table saw is minor because of the
larger particle size of the dust. However the dust from a sanding
operation has significantly smaller particles sizes. As you finish the
item you are sanding with decreasing grit sizes, you will also be
decreasing the particle size of dust. As the particle size of the dust
reaches the particle size of flour, there will be a high possibility of
an explosion.

or as the particles size decreases the flammability and explosion
possibility increase.

Lower flammable limit: 40 mg/m3
Auto-ignition temperatu 400-500oF

http://www.jgflooring.com/JG_MSDS.pdf

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/13/10 7:41 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
I would think that there should be a word of caution about the fan
system being discussed. Wood dust will explode, when it reaches the
proper concentrations. With the fan to create a uniform mixture of wood
dust and air through out the garage, you will get a bigger explosion,
when your furnace, or other system creates the spark.

Think corn silo.
The concentration of dust would have to be so high that you would not be
able to see across your shop, let alone breathe. I don't know about
you, but I would probably do something about the dust loooong before it
reached that point.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/13/10 11:39 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
I did not believe that spontaneous combustion was a problem either until
our house nearly caught fire from the spontaneous combustion of the
sanding dust from our hardwood floors. Fortunately we caught it at the
big smoke stage and was able to get it out of the garage.

What is the big smoke stage.

or as the particles size decreases the flammability and explosion
possibility increase.

Lower flammable limit: 40 mg/m3
Auto-ignition temperatu 400-500oF

http://www.jgflooring.com/JG_MSDS.pdf

The source you provided reads "40 grams (40,000 mg) of dust per cubic
meter," not 40milligrams.

40grams/m3 is a lot and would certainly effect your vision enough that
you would hardly be able to see what you were sanding, no?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Keith Nuttle wrote:

I did not believe that spontaneous combustion was a problem either
until our house nearly caught fire from the spontaneous combustion of
the sanding dust from our hardwood floors.

I know that finishing materials - oils - can catch fire spontaneously due to
the heat generated by the oxidation as the stuff dries. Never heard of wood
dust doing so though; what was causing all the oxidation?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message

Amazon brought this to my attention:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Metro Vacuum ED500 DataVa 500-Watt, .75 HP Electric Duster (actually a
blower).

I know you're supposed to blow the dust off of equiptment and out of
motors every once in a while. Do you folks who do this use dedicated
compressors? This seems like it could perform dual duty (In the computer
room and the workshop), is exceptionally portable and doesn't take up as
much space. What do you think?

Bill

I'm pretty tempted to get one of these (saw it in a mail-order catalog, not
on Amazon) to blow the dust and lint out of the inside of my PC's. I try to
keep a can of compressed air around for the purpose but I keep forgetting to
replace them when they run out of air. Could be useful in the shop too, if
for no other reason than to blow off the last traces of sanding dust before
putting on a coat of finish (I don't own a compressor).

But if I get one I won't buy it from Amazon - I don't like their privacy
policy.

Tom Dacon

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tom Dacon" wrote in message

"Bill" wrote in message

[...]

Well, since you brought it up, what don't you like about their privacy
policy?
I am not familiar with it, but I have been satisfied with their prices and
service.
I'm learning to be wary of 3rd party sellers.

Bill

Tom Dacon

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

I would think that there should be a word of caution about the fan
system being discussed. Wood dust will explode, when it reaches the
proper concentrations. With the fan to create a uniform mixture of wood
dust and air through out the garage, you will get a bigger explosion,
when your furnace, or other system creates the spark.

You should also be careful not to use plastic pipe for the ducts on
your DC as they generate enough static electricity to power all the
New England states for a week. Don't forget that compressor
tanks can explode and take your entire neighborhood down and
the flying debris can put the eyes out of everyone for miles around.
You could also hurt your back in the cleanup process too. Maybe
it would be better if you just stayed in bed. ;~)
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/13/2010 12:55 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 2/13/10 11:39 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
I did not believe that spontaneous combustion was a problem either until
our house nearly caught fire from the spontaneous combustion of the
sanding dust from our hardwood floors. Fortunately we caught it at the
big smoke stage and was able to get it out of the garage.

What is the big smoke stage.

or as the particles size decreases the flammability and explosion
possibility increase.

Lower flammable limit: 40 mg/m3
Auto-ignition temperatu 400-500oF

http://www.jgflooring.com/JG_MSDS.pdf

The source you provided reads "40 grams (40,000 mg) of dust per cubic
meter," not 40milligrams.

40grams/m3 is a lot and would certainly effect your vision enough that
you would hardly be able to see what you were sanding, no?

That is interesting as I checked several other MSDS sheets and copied
from this one.

http://www.qmaxsolutions.com/Files/C...05/sawdust.pdf

If you are a good liability lawyer you may have a potential client.

I went back and rechecked the other Online MSDS's and they list
40g/cubic meter.

All that said I still would not want to have a VERY fine wood dust
distributed around my shop with a fan, knowing the potential of dust
explosions.

http://www.sbcindustry.com/docs/OQM/...Combustion.pdf
Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 11:27:22 -0500, "Bill" wrote:

What kinds of compressors are folks using in their woodworking shops?
3-6-gallon to
fire brads, bigger for spraying finishes (this task is not on my radar
screen for the time being)?
Any sort of details would be helpful. CPOWoodworking offered a compressor,
with a nail gun,
for half price ($99) a few days ago, and I thought maybe I should have one
of these things.
I've got a lot of molding I'd like to replace sometime in the next few years
(is this the ideal way to
install that?).

Bill

I've had this one for about two and a half years.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/c_10153_1...ools?adCell=WF

Cast iron, oil lube, 100% duty rating relatively quiet compared to oilless compressors and is
luggable. I have it daisy-chained into a portable air tank. I mainly use it for nail guns, but the
portable tank gives a bit more capacity when I need to blow out something. Perfectly fine keeping
up with any brad or finish nail gun I own. Also good for airing up tires and other low volume
demand applications. Currently on sale for $100 with free shipping.

I'm normally pretty leery of Sears powered items, but this compressor has had zero problems. I'm a
hobbyist, so don't put nearly the use on it someone in the trade would, but for the money, I think
it is a pretty good buy.

Regards,
Roy
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Amazon brought this to my attention:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Metro Vacuum ED500 DataVa 500-Watt, .75 HP Electric Duster
(actually a
blower).

I know you're supposed to blow the dust off of equiptment and
out of motors
every once in a while. Do you folks who do this use dedicated
compressors?
This seems like it could perform dual duty (In the computer room
and the
workshop), is exceptionally portable and doesn't take up as much
space.
What do you think?

For years and years, this is how I'd do the occasional clean-up in
my shop: First, I'd be sure that the doors to the house were
closed. While not dust proof, the doors were fairly tightly
fitted and offered little air flow when closed. Secondly, I'd
turn on the DC, open all blast gates and especially the diverter
to the outside, which bypassed the chip separator and bags. This
created a slight negative pressure in the shop, preventing dust
from entering the balance of the lower level and the drop in
ceiling tile.

Starting on the highest shelves and working downward, I would use
my air compressor to blow dust and chips off- hopefully to the
shop floor. I'd open doors to the cabinets and drawers to do the
same thing, holding the nozzle back to prevent blowing items off
the shelves or out of bins in the drawers. It took little
practice but worked swell. My blowing would include the tools,
such as the cabinet base of the TS, letting the airflow from the
DC suck out most of the accumulated debris and dust.

While waiting for the dust to clear before doing it again, I'd use
a hand scraper to pop glue spots off my workbench and straighten
out my tool boxes.

This blowing out would be repeated 2-3 times, leaving the dust,
chips and debris to settle onto the shop floor. I'd wait until
the air cleared before redoing the cleaning.

The final step was to close off all but one blast gate from the
DC, divert the airflow to the chip separator/bags and then use my
floor tool to vacuum the shop floor. Occasionally, I'd have to
give things another blowing, but the once-over was usually good
enough. The total time involved would usually be under an hour
and the shop would be "company clean," for most purposes.

--
Nonny

and articulate person who has absolutely no clue
concerning what they are talking about.
The person is typically a media commentator or politician.

Posted to rec.woodworking

That is interesting as I checked several other MSDS sheets and copied
from this one.

http://www.qmaxsolutions.com/Files/C...05/sawdust.pdf

If you are a good liability lawyer you may have a potential client.

That may be a case of a typo getting reproduced. Known to happen...
*especially* in the internet age.

I went back and rechecked the other Online MSDS's and they list
40g/cubic meter.

All that said I still would not want to have a VERY fine wood dust
distributed around my shop with a fan, knowing the potential of dust
explosions.

http://www.sbcindustry.com/docs/OQM/...Combustion.pdf

I'm not doubting it can happen, and obviously has. Farmers have known
about it for years. I'm just saying, the home shop guy isn't going to
let it get that bad. I could see a sugar factory with everyone wearing
full head breathers, all focused on close-up work they are doing, not
seeing the haze around them.

Nonetheless, better safe than sorry.

BTW, what is the big smoke stage?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 13, 5:18*pm, -MIKE- wrote:

BTW, what is the big smoke stage?

A DRUMMER ... has to ask this question?? ;-)

Just picked up a used JDS 10-16 air filtration unit, today. With a
bit of luck, I'll have nothing to say on the matter :-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Artemus" wrote in -
september.org:

You should also be careful not to use plastic pipe for the ducts on
your DC as they generate enough static electricity to power all the
New England states for a week. Don't forget that compressor
tanks can explode and take your entire neighborhood down and
the flying debris can put the eyes out of everyone for miles around.
You could also hurt your back in the cleanup process too. Maybe
it would be better if you just stayed in bed. ;~)
Art

What about bed sores?

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/13/2010 7:18 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
at is the big smoke stage

Just before it breaks into open flames.

Since we were moving in to a new house the garage was full of cardboard
boxes. The sanding dust was in a plastic bag in a plastic garbage can
that was sitting next to the cardboard boxes.

When the garage filled up with smoke and it started leaking into the
house we realized that something was wrong. Fortunately I was able to
get the garage open and the can into the drive. At that point it was
simple to fill the can with water.

It took some time to get the smell of smoke out of the garage, and the
plastic can had to be replaced as a big section was melted from the heat.

It was one of those comedy of errors things. No one did anything wrong,
just the sum of the actions of several people created the quite volatile
situation.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/13/2010 7:18 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
at is the big smoke stage

Just before it breaks into open flames.

Since we were moving in to a new house the garage was full of
cardboard boxes. The sanding dust was in a plastic bag in a
plastic garbage can that was sitting next to the cardboard
boxes.

When the garage filled up with smoke and it started leaking into
the house we realized that something was wrong. Fortunately I
was able to get the garage open and the can into the drive. At
that point it was simple to fill the can with water.

It took some time to get the smell of smoke out of the garage,
and the plastic can had to be replaced as a big section was
melted from the heat.

It was one of those comedy of errors things. No one did
anything wrong, just the sum of the actions of several people
created the quite volatile situation.

Out of curiosity, had the dust come from newly finished wood or
was it just the wood itself that heated?

--
Nonny

and articulate person who has absolutely no clue
concerning what they are talking about.
The person is typically a media commentator or politician.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 20:18:44 -0500, Keith Nuttle
wrote:

On 2/13/2010 7:18 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
at is the big smoke stage

Just before it breaks into open flames.

Since we were moving in to a new house the garage was full of cardboard
boxes. The sanding dust was in a plastic bag in a plastic garbage can
that was sitting next to the cardboard boxes.

When the garage filled up with smoke and it started leaking into the
house we realized that something was wrong. Fortunately I was able to
get the garage open and the can into the drive. At that point it was
simple to fill the can with water.

It took some time to get the smell of smoke out of the garage, and the
plastic can had to be replaced as a big section was melted from the heat.

It was one of those comedy of errors things. No one did anything wrong,
just the sum of the actions of several people created the quite volatile
situation.

Well, this has absolutely nothing to do with the flammability of dust
in suspension in the air. This is about sanding an oil-finished floor
that has not fully cured and the heating that comes from the curing
process - or - about slightly wet sawdust being packed into a closed
container - or - about a spark from some other source getting included
in the sweeping up - I've seen sparks from tools and cigarettes both
end up starting fires that way (good thing to watch out for on your
dust collector as well. A cig sucked into the collection bag can ruin
your whole day).

--
"We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh, and bring something to kill"

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Artemus wrote:

You should also be careful not to use plastic pipe for the ducts on
your DC as they generate enough static electricity to power all the
New England states for a week. Don't forget that compressor
tanks can explode and take your entire neighborhood down and
the flying debris can put the eyes out of everyone for miles around.
You could also hurt your back in the cleanup process too. Maybe
it would be better if you just stayed in bed. ;~)

I guess you never saw a close up of those damned dust mites that live in
your bed:

http://www.dust-mites.org/

You 'might' be able to blow them out with a good compressor. 'Might' be
best to just go kill ourselves and be done with it...

--
Jack
Obama Care...Freedom not Included!
Posted to rec.woodworking

Well, since you brought it up, what don't you like about their privacy
policy?
I am not familiar with it, but I have been satisfied with their prices and
service.
I'm learning to be wary of 3rd party sellers.

Bill

Well, Bill, their basic policy is "whatever we find out from you, we own,
like it or not, and we can use it any way we like".

And it really creeps me out the way their tentacles spread out through the
internet. I'll be browsing on some site, Amazon far from my mind and no
evidence whatsoever that the site I'm on is affiliated with Amazon, and
before you know it Amazon will be giving me buying suggestions based on
products that I browsed on that apparently-unrelated site.

Give me the willies.

I used to buy tools from an online outfit called Toolcrib or something like
that. Amazon bought them outright and integrated them into their site back
when they were aggressively expanding into other lines of business besides
books. I bought a couple of things in the tool line from them, but I soured
on them pretty quickly when I started reading about their privacy policies.
But sometimes when you're doing a search on something the Amazon link is the
best-looking one, and like I say, when I go there it really creeps me out to
find them popping up with their damned buying suggestions.

Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tom Dacon" wrote in message
. ..

Well, since you brought it up, what don't you like about their privacy
policy?
I am not familiar with it, but I have been satisfied with their prices
and service.
I'm learning to be wary of 3rd party sellers.

Bill

Well, Bill, their basic policy is "whatever we find out from you, we own,
like it or not, and we can use it any way we like".

And it really creeps me out the way their tentacles spread out through the
internet. I'll be browsing on some site, Amazon far from my mind and no
evidence whatsoever that the site I'm on is affiliated with Amazon, and
before you know it Amazon will be giving me buying suggestions based on
products that I browsed on that apparently-unrelated site.

Give me the willies.

I think I fear Amazon much less in this regard than I do Google.
At least Amazon is showing me stuff I'm often interested in, books
for instance. They occasionally show me something that I'm interested in
buying (or moving to my "wish list" to think about buying). I moved
a Grizzly G0690 TS there today to watch and see if it might ever go on sale.
: )

Bill

I used to buy tools from an online outfit called Toolcrib or something
like that. Amazon bought them outright and integrated them into their site
back when they were aggressively expanding into other lines of business
besides books. I bought a couple of things in the tool line from them, but
I soured on them pretty quickly when I started reading about their privacy
policies. But sometimes when you're doing a search on something the Amazon
link is the best-looking one, and like I say, when I go there it really
creeps me out to find them popping up with their damned buying
suggestions.

Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:

"Tom Dacon" wrote in message
. ..

Well, since you brought it up, what don't you like about their privacy
policy?
I am not familiar with it, but I have been satisfied with their prices
and service.
I'm learning to be wary of 3rd party sellers.

Bill

Well, Bill, their basic policy is "whatever we find out from you, we own,
like it or not, and we can use it any way we like".

And it really creeps me out the way their tentacles spread out through
the internet. I'll be browsing on some site, Amazon far from my mind and
no evidence whatsoever that the site I'm on is affiliated with Amazon,
and before you know it Amazon will be giving me buying suggestions based
on products that I browsed on that apparently-unrelated site.

Give me the willies.

I think I fear Amazon much less in this regard than I do Google.

I've taken to using Bing.com and Ask.com as my search engines. Although I
do like the fact that Google has finally decided that maybe the idea of
censoring Chinese traffic and providing the Chi-coms with dissident
information kind of violates that "don't be evil" thing they promote.

Rob Leatham

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Dacon wrote:
Well, since you brought it up, what don't you like about their
privacy policy?
I am not familiar with it, but I have been satisfied with their
prices and service.
I'm learning to be wary of 3rd party sellers.

Bill

Well, Bill, their basic policy is "whatever we find out from you, we
own, like it or not, and we can use it any way we like".

This is true of every business including the mom and pop grocery store down
on the corner. If you don't want other people to know things about you then
you're screwed. It's the 21st century and simply by existing you're in a
bunch of databases. And not even offing yourself will get you out of them.

And it really creeps me out the way their tentacles spread out
through the internet. I'll be browsing on some site, Amazon far from
my mind and no evidence whatsoever that the site I'm on is affiliated
with Amazon, and before you know it Amazon will be giving me buying
suggestions based on products that I browsed on that
apparently-unrelated site.

Can you give an example of this occurring and show us the evidence that
Amazon obtained information from this "apparently-unrelated site"?

Give me the willies.

I used to buy tools from an online outfit called Toolcrib or
something like that. Amazon bought them outright and integrated them
into their site back when they were aggressively expanding into other
lines of business besides books.

That's news to Toolcrib.

I bought a couple of things in the
tool line from them, but I soured on them pretty quickly when I
started reading about their privacy policies. But sometimes when
you're doing a search on something the Amazon link is the
best-looking one, and like I say, when I go there it really creeps me
out to find them popping up with their damned buying suggestions.

Why does it "creep you out" that they're making suggestions based on what
you've purchased or browsed on their site? If it really upsets you that
much there is a very simple thing that you can do about it. When you are
done placing an order with Amazon then LOG OUT OF THEIR SITE.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 16, 11:08*pm, "Bill" wrote:
"Tom Dacon" wrote in message

. ..

[...]

snip trailing stuff

I did that with a Unisaw. It's no longer on my wish list. ;-) $1600,
delivered, was just too much (little?) to resist and the reason I
didn't buy a G0690.

I don't trust Google at all.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Dacon wrote:
Well, since you brought it up, what don't you like about their
privacy policy?
I am not familiar with it, but I have been satisfied with their
prices and service.
I'm learning to be wary of 3rd party sellers.

Bill

Well, Bill, their basic policy is "whatever we find out from you, we
own, like it or not, and we can use it any way we like".

And it really creeps me out the way their tentacles spread out
through the internet. I'll be browsing on some site, Amazon far from
my mind and no evidence whatsoever that the site I'm on is affiliated
with Amazon, and before you know it Amazon will be giving me buying
suggestions based on products that I browsed on that
apparently-unrelated site.
Give me the willies.

Manage your cookies.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" wrote:

Manage your cookies.

---------------------
Like dump them daily.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

snip trailing stuff

I did that with a Unisaw. It's no longer on my wish list. ;-) $1600,
delivered, was just too much (little?) to resist and the reason I
didn't buy a G0690.

Did you get a Delta 3HP cabinet saw for that? The only ones I located
started
at twice that. Congratulations on your new saw! --Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 17, 11:39*am, "Bill" wrote:
wrote in message

snip trailing stuff

I did that with a Unisaw. *It's no longer on my wish list. ;-) *$1600,
delivered, was just too much (little?) to resist and the reason I
didn't buy a G0690.

Did you get a Delta 3HP cabinet saw for that? *The only ones I located
started
at twice that. *Congratulations on your new saw! * *--Bill

The new Unisaws are going for twice what I paid now. This is a 3HP LT
X5, two extension wings, and 50" Biesemeyer fence (36-L31?). I got it
a year ago just before the new Unisaw came out. The going price for
an X5 then was about $2100, or so. I was about to buy the Grizzley
G0690 until the deal on the X5 came around. Sure, I'd like to have
the new Unisaw, but not for twice the money. I like the SawStop too,
but...
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote:

Manage your cookies.

---------------------
Like dump them daily.

Lew

Right...easy with a browser that will dump them when closed; e.g., Opera and
Firefox.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
On Feb 17, 11:39 am, "Bill" wrote:
wrote in message

snip trailing stuff

I did that with a Unisaw. It's no longer on my wish list. ;-) $1600,
delivered, was just too much (little?) to resist and the reason I
didn't buy a G0690.

Did you get a Delta 3HP cabinet saw for that? The only ones I located
started
at twice that. Congratulations on your new saw! --Bill

The new Unisaws are going for twice what I paid now. This is a 3HP LT
X5, two extension wings, and 50" Biesemeyer fence (36-L31?). I got it
a year ago just before the new Unisaw came out. The going price for
an X5 then was about $2100, or so. I was about to buy the Grizzley
G0690 until the deal on the X5 came around.

Great saw and a nice deal! Again, congratulations. I'll keep my eyes open!

Bill

Sawdust Puckdropper[_2_] Woodworking 26 September 17th 09 04:37 PM
Tired of sawdust Ivan Vegvary Woodworking 13 August 16th 07 04:24 AM
Another Way to Use Sawdust J T Woodworking 1 November 9th 05 09:36 PM
Sawdust as a fuel? Andy McArdle Woodworking 13 June 16th 05 12:13 AM
How To Get Rid Of Your Sawdust J T Woodworking 38 November 22nd 04 02:34 PM