Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Blowing sawdust around

"Leon" wrote in
:

"Keith Nuttle" wrote in message
I would think that there should be a word of caution about the fan
system being discussed. Wood dust will explode, when it reaches the
proper concentrations. With the fan to create a uniform mixture of
wood dust and air through out the garage, you will get a bigger
explosion, when your furnace, or other system creates the spark.

I believe that is highly unlikely. The only time you hear of that
actually being a problem is through what a freind heard a frend read
some where. What you will need is a fire to burn the dust, but
probably no explosion.

You've probably got a better chance of finishing materials catching on
fire than sawdust building up and exploding. On Mythbusters, there was
one episode where they built this giant fireball machine. It used
powered material like sawdust (or coffee creamer), hooked to a large
compressed air tank and with some sort of fusee in the middle.

My guess is that by the time saw dust concentration was high enough in
the shop, you'd be choking or blinded by it first.

Puckdropper