Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sawdust

While cleaning up the shop today, I had a bunch of time to think.
(Sweeping requires very little mental activity.) So, while shoveling
pilefuls of saw dust into a bucket, I started to wonder about uses for
it.

Could the sawdust be glued and pressed to make particle board? It's got
irregular shapes, and it's not all the same species. Here's a get rich
slowly scheme... Drive to neighborhood shops and collect the sawdust from
them. Then make boards. I know I had at least a 1x12x3' worth of
sawdust under the saw. It only took 4 months.

About that press... Most people have something that weighs a couple tons
in their own driveway. Maybe a car could be used to run over the boards
a couple times to pack it nice and tight. (Or make a really heavy man
hopping mad?)

How about using it for fire starting? I know it won't burn well by
itself (the top layer burns, but the bottom layer gets choked out.) A
little sawdust, some alcohol, and some pressure, and you've got a free
fire starter right?

Well at least it's something to think about next time you're sweeping up
the shop.

Happy sawdust making,

Puckdropper
rec.woodworking

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2009-09-15, Puckdropper puckdropper wrote:
[...]

Start to grow mushrooms. About any hardwood is suitabe and that way you can
eat your waste.

seismo malm
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 15, 5:01*am, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:
[...]

I use it for the occasional accident while changing the oil. The rest
goes to a guy I know who does auto repair work in his garage.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
[...]

I am not a pest control expert but was told that saw dust attracts bugs
and insects. They eat the fungus that grows on the saw dust.

I know from experience that cockroaches like saw dust. At one time I
would not bother to clean up the saw dust every time I used the tools.
It accumulated and I got a significant cockroach problem in the shop. I
cleaned up the saw dust and the cockroaches left. I have kept the shop
clean since then.
Posted to rec.woodworking

--
"The potential difference between the top and bottom of a tree is
the

To email me directly, send a message to puckdropper (at)
fastmail.fm

Exactly the basic stuff used to maufacture charcoal briquets,
Add a little glue and coal dust for color.
Mold it, dry it, bag it, and ship it.
Bob-tx

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
[...]

For making fire starters you mix it with paraffin wax. Fill a muffin
pan with the mixture and let it set, or do it in muffin papers.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking
jim jim is offline

On Sep 15, 11:37*am, Dave Balderstone
wrote:
In article , BillGill

wrote:
For making fire starters you mix it with paraffin wax. *Fill a muffin
pan with the mixture and let it set, or do it in muffin papers.

Or cardboard egg cartons...

Or pound a wax coated milk carton full of saw dust. Makes for an
excellent firelog.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 15, 4:01*am, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:
[...]

We looked into using sawdust, especially planer chips for mulch a year
or so ago. Several extension services were not big on sawdust because
it doesn't provide much soil nutrition as it breaks down. It also
tends to attract termites. However, they did suggest trowing an inch
or two between layers in a compost bin. It would add bulk and absorb
some of the nutrients from the surrounding compost matter during
decomposition.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"RonB" wrote in message
[...]

I've read that you compost it until it turns grey, *then* add it to your
garden, beds, whatever. Something about the initial decompostion process
actually leaching the nutrients out of the soil if you don't compost it
first?

Insert all available disclaimers here

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Or do this with it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvPL7KC1DEA

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 15, 11:07*am, "basilisk" wrote:
[...]

That only works if you use PVC for dust collection...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 09:01:40 +0000, Puckdropper wrote:

While cleaning up the shop today, I had a bunch of time to think.
(Sweeping requires very little mental activity.) So, while shoveling
pilefuls of saw dust into a bucket, I started to wonder about uses for i

Before the innovation of ground foam, dyed sawdust was used to mimic
grass and weeds for model railroads and dioramas.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 15, 8:01*am, "Joe" wrote:
"RonB" wrote in message

[...]

The sawdust leaches nitrogen until it is composted. So the idea is to
add nitrogen.

I use it in a pee bucket in the shop. Put some sawdust at the bottom
of the bucket, add a few handfuls every time you take a leak. Does not
smell and urine adds nitrogen. Into the compost bin when it's full.
This idea came from Doug Stowe here on the Wreck many years ago.

I also mix it with grass clippings in the compost bin. Works really
well in creating nice compost rather than a smelly mat.

Luigi

Posted to rec.woodworking

Seismo R. Malm wrote:

Start to grow mushrooms. About any hardwood is suitabe and that way you can
eat your waste.

seismo malm

Caution: I would not consider ANY ideas that involve food if the
"sawdust" contains ANY plywood, MDF or laminate residue. Moreover, I
wouldn't burn such residue and I wouldn't place it anywhere near where
children play. As you probably already know, it's not nice stuff.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

Luigi Zanasi wrote:
I use it in a pee bucket in the shop. Put some sawdust at the bottom
of the bucket, add a few handfuls every time you take a leak.

How many handfuls for number 2?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 15, 9:29*am, -MIKE- wrote:
Luigi Zanasi wrote:
I use it in a pee bucket in the shop. Put some sawdust at the bottom
of the bucket, add a few handfuls every time you take a leak.

How many handfuls for number 2?

Can't you read?? PEE bucket.

What you want is a composting toilet.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Luigi Zanasi wrote:
On Sep 15, 9:29 am, -MIKE- wrote:
Luigi Zanasi wrote:
I use it in a pee bucket in the shop. Put some sawdust at the bottom
of the bucket, add a few handfuls every time you take a leak.

How many handfuls for number 2?

Can't you read?? PEE bucket.

What you want is a composting toilet.

Eaaaeeew-ah. Do those exist?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

Luigi Zanasi wrote:

I use it in a pee bucket in the shop. Put some sawdust at the bottom
of the bucket, add a few handfuls every time you take a leak.

Luigi, are you trying to resurrect the pee/sawdust/mulch thread from
back in 1998? ;-)

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nova wrote:
Luigi Zanasi wrote:

I use it in a pee bucket in the shop. Put some sawdust at the bottom
of the bucket, add a few handfuls every time you take a leak.

Luigi, are you trying to resurrect the pee/sawdust/mulch thread from
back in 1998? ;-)

A pee bucket thread would be before I joined the group. I joined just
before and read all about using dead cats as push sticks.

Either is better than a bunch of liberals whining how bad President Bush
was.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 15, 9:48*am, -MIKE- wrote:
Luigi Zanasi wrote:
On Sep 15, 9:29 am, -MIKE- wrote:
Luigi Zanasi wrote:
I use it in a pee bucket in the shop. Put some sawdust at the bottom
of the bucket, add a few handfuls every time you take a leak.
How many handfuls for number 2?

Can't you read?? PEE bucket.

What you want is a composting toilet.

Eaaaeeew-ah. *Do those exist?

Free plans at http://weblife.org/humanure/chapter8_2.html or
http://www.jenkinspublishing.com/sawdustoilet.html. This is on topic
as they are made of wood and they use sawdust.

And think that if you eat food from China, it has been fertilized
using uncomposted humanure. While your non-organic food in North
America probably used sewage sludge.

So when someone tells you to eat ****, well, you can tell them you
already do. :-)

Luigi

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 15, 9:53*am, Nova wrote:
Luigi Zanasi wrote:
I use it in a pee bucket in the shop. Put some sawdust at the bottom
of the bucket, add a few handfuls every time you take a leak.

Luigi, are you trying to resurrect the pee/sawdust/mulch thread from
back in 1998? ;-)

Who?? Me???? Never!!!

Luigi
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard wrote in
:

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 09:01:40 +0000, Puckdropper wrote:

While cleaning up the shop today, I had a bunch of time to think.
(Sweeping requires very little mental activity.) So, while shoveling
pilefuls of saw dust into a bucket, I started to wonder about uses
for i

Before the innovation of ground foam, dyed sawdust was used to mimic
grass and weeds for model railroads and dioramas.

I had forgotten about that. You'd need a sifter, but it would probably
be a good use for it. At one time, I thought about using sawdust to
represent corn loads, but they don't ship corn very far in open hoppers.

Puckdropper
rec.woodworking

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 15, 4:01*am, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:
While cleaning up the shop today, I had a bunch of time to think. *
(Sweeping requires very little mental activity.) *So, while shoveling
pilefuls of saw dust into a bucket, I started to wonder about uses for
it.

How about putting it in your car/truck?
From the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory -
"Production of Gasoline and Diesel from Biomass via Fast Pyrolysis,
Hydrotreating and Hydrocracking: A Design Case"
http://www.pnl.gov/main/publications...PNNL-18284.pdf
The "biomass" in the report is wood (poplar) chips.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 15 Sep 2009 09:01:40 GMT, Puckdropper
[...]

When I get enough sawdust I make a heap in the backyard where it sits
for a year, turns gray and reduces in volume. Then I use to mulch my
blueberries.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote

Well at least it's something to think about next time you're sweeping up
the shop.

Happy sawdust making,

At http://tinyurl.com/bwlxby there's a compilation I made several years ago
of contributions to a thread on this topic.

Happy sweeping!

Jeff

--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
email : Username is amgron

Puckdropper
rec.woodworking

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"Jeff Gorman" wrote in message
news

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote

Well at least it's something to think about next time you're sweeping up
the shop.

Happy sawdust making,

At http://tinyurl.com/bwlxby there's a compilation I made several years
ago of contributions to a thread on this topic.

Happy sweeping!

Jeff

Nice compilation! I especially like the 'take your sawdust for a drive in
your pickup' one.