Posted to rec.woodworking
Keith nuttle Keith nuttle is offline

Default Sawdust

Puckdropper wrote:
While cleaning up the shop today, I had a bunch of time to think.
(Sweeping requires very little mental activity.) So, while shoveling
pilefuls of saw dust into a bucket, I started to wonder about uses for
it.

Could the sawdust be glued and pressed to make particle board? It's got
irregular shapes, and it's not all the same species. Here's a get rich
slowly scheme... Drive to neighborhood shops and collect the sawdust from
them. Then make boards. I know I had at least a 1x12x3' worth of
sawdust under the saw. It only took 4 months.

About that press... Most people have something that weighs a couple tons
in their own driveway. Maybe a car could be used to run over the boards
a couple times to pack it nice and tight. (Or make a really heavy man
hopping mad?)

How about using it for fire starting? I know it won't burn well by
itself (the top layer burns, but the bottom layer gets choked out.) A
little sawdust, some alcohol, and some pressure, and you've got a free
fire starter right?

Well at least it's something to think about next time you're sweeping up
the shop.

Happy sawdust making,

Puckdropper

I am not a pest control expert but was told that saw dust attracts bugs
and insects. They eat the fungus that grows on the saw dust.

I know from experience that cockroaches like saw dust. At one time I
would not bother to clean up the saw dust every time I used the tools.
It accumulated and I got a significant cockroach problem in the shop. I
cleaned up the saw dust and the cockroaches left. I have kept the shop
clean since then.