Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob-tx Bob-tx is offline

Default Sawdust

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
While cleaning up the shop today, I had a bunch of time to think.
(Sweeping requires very little mental activity.) So, while
shoveling
pilefuls of saw dust into a bucket, I started to wonder about uses
for
it.

Could the sawdust be glued and pressed to make particle board?
It's got
irregular shapes, and it's not all the same species. Here's a get
rich
slowly scheme... Drive to neighborhood shops and collect the
sawdust from
them. Then make boards. I know I had at least a 1x12x3' worth of
sawdust under the saw. It only took 4 months.

About that press... Most people have something that weighs a
couple tons
in their own driveway. Maybe a car could be used to run over the
boards
a couple times to pack it nice and tight. (Or make a really heavy
man
hopping mad?)

How about using it for fire starting? I know it won't burn well
by
itself (the top layer burns, but the bottom layer gets choked
out.) A
little sawdust, some alcohol, and some pressure, and you've got a
free
fire starter right?

Well at least it's something to think about next time you're
sweeping up
the shop.

Happy sawdust making,

Puckdropper
--
"The potential difference between the top and bottom of a tree is
the

To email me directly, send a message to puckdropper (at)
fastmail.fm

Exactly the basic stuff used to maufacture charcoal briquets,
Add a little glue and coal dust for color.
Mold it, dry it, bag it, and ship it.
Bob-tx