Posted to rec.woodworking
Keith nuttle Keith nuttle is offline

Default Blowing sawdust around

On 2/13/2010 12:55 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 2/13/10 11:39 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
I did not believe that spontaneous combustion was a problem either until
our house nearly caught fire from the spontaneous combustion of the
sanding dust from our hardwood floors. Fortunately we caught it at the
big smoke stage and was able to get it out of the garage.

What is the big smoke stage.

or as the particles size decreases the flammability and explosion
possibility increase.

Lower flammable limit: 40 mg/m3
Auto-ignition temperatu 400-500oF

http://www.jgflooring.com/JG_MSDS.pdf

The source you provided reads "40 grams (40,000 mg) of dust per cubic
meter," not 40milligrams.

40grams/m3 is a lot and would certainly effect your vision enough that
you would hardly be able to see what you were sanding, no?

That is interesting as I checked several other MSDS sheets and copied
from this one.

http://www.qmaxsolutions.com/Files/C...05/sawdust.pdf

If you are a good liability lawyer you may have a potential client.

I went back and rechecked the other Online MSDS's and they list
40g/cubic meter.

All that said I still would not want to have a VERY fine wood dust
distributed around my shop with a fan, knowing the potential of dust
explosions.

http://www.sbcindustry.com/docs/OQM/...Combustion.pdf