Posted to rec.woodworking

Default ot I hate snow

I live in carroll county md and All my wood is outside in the shed and I
cannot get to it. Now I have time to play and no wood. the snow is drifting
to the point that I can no longer see the shed! Sigh!

Len

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "lennn99" wrote:
I live in carroll county md and All my wood is outside in the shed and I
cannot get to it. Now I have time to play and no wood. the snow is drifting
to the point that I can no longer see the shed! Sigh!

I feel your pain. I just finished shoveling another two inches of global
warming off of my driveway. Three inches yesterday. Eight inches last
Saturday.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 10, 1:27*pm, "lennn99" wrote:
I live in carroll county md and All my wood is outside in the shed and I
cannot get to it. Now I have time to play and no wood. the snow is drifting
to the point that I can no longer see the shed! Sigh!

Len

I think the good people in Vancouver are paying for it, right now.

Send it to THEM ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 10, 4:00*pm, Neil Brooks wrote:
On Feb 10, 1:27*pm, "lennn99" wrote:

I live in carroll county md and All my wood is outside in the shed and I
cannot get to it. Now I have time to play and no wood. the snow is drifting
to the point that I can no longer see the shed! Sigh!

Len

I think the good people in Vancouver are paying for it, right now.

Send it to THEM ;-)

We only got about 5 inches of snow today. In this part of the country,
we are far behind what we normally have for snow at this time. I
think we are only at 23" for the year. Luckily it has stayed south of
us.

Allen
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 10, 3:15*pm, allen476 wrote:
On Feb 10, 4:00*pm, Neil Brooks wrote:

On Feb 10, 1:27*pm, "lennn99" wrote:

I live in carroll county md and All my wood is outside in the shed and I
cannot get to it. Now I have time to play and no wood. the snow is drifting
to the point that I can no longer see the shed! Sigh!

Len

I think the good people in Vancouver are paying for it, right now.

Send it to THEM ;-)

We only got about 5 inches of snow today. In this part of the country,
we are far behind what we normally have for snow *at this time. I
think we are only at 23" for the year. Luckily it has stayed south of
us.

Three years ago we had a 36" snowfall in our yard followed by 24"
about a month later, in addition to the little 4"-6" stuff every few
days. We only had 5" last year and haven't had *any* this year. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Neil Brooks" wrote in message
On Feb 10, 1:27 pm, "lennn99" wrote:
I live in carroll county md and All my wood is outside in the shed and I
cannot get to it. Now I have time to play and no wood. the snow is
drifting
to the point that I can no longer see the shed! Sigh!

Len

I think the good people in Vancouver are paying for it, right now.

Did I hear they were trucking in snow for the Olympics?
I did look at Accuweather.com for Vancouver and did not see where it got
down to or below freezing for the next 15 days. All those days with
precipitation in the forecast called for rain or showers.
Maybe at the higher altitudes . . . .

Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

lennn99 wrote:

I live in carroll county md and All my wood is outside in the shed and I
cannot get to it. Now I have time to play and no wood. the snow is
drifting to the point that I can no longer see the shed! Sigh!

Len

60 degrees and sunny here. Lots of snow in the mountains but never here...
I can see it from my back porch, think I'll go skiing tomorrow morning,
hahaha then maybe surfing tomorrow afternoon!!!
--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK !

Posted to rec.woodworking

"lennn99" wrote in
:

I live in carroll county md and All my wood is outside in the shed and
I cannot get to it. Now I have time to play and no wood. the snow is
drifting to the point that I can no longer see the shed! Sigh!

Len

I'll take snow over all kinds of other winter weather. All I have to do
with snow is plow it off the driveway and ice rink. If I happen to be out
early enough in the day, the sun takes care of whatever the plow doesn't
get.

You guys in the northeast have gotten way more than your share. It would
be interesting to have that much snow once, but I'm in no hurry to
experience it.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in
:

I'll take snow over all kinds of other winter weather. All I have to
do with snow is plow it off the driveway and ice rink. If I happen to
be out early enough in the day, the sun takes care of whatever the
plow doesn't get.

You guys in the northeast have gotten way more than your share. It
would be interesting to have that much snow once, but I'm in no hurry
to experience it.

Puckdropper

The Northeast has a habit of fairly big dumps (BD) every once in a while.
Most winters there is at least one BD. This year a few areas have gotten
a BD more than once, and rather close together. Then it ceases to be
fun, especially if the power goes out.

For me, today was alright (in North Jersey we didn't get anything of that
first BD DC received 5 days ago). Today I didn't feel the need to go
commute into NYC, it wasn't cold (right around freezing), and while
heavy, the snow shoveled well enough. But it would not be fun if we got
another BD in a few days ...

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to rec.woodworking

lennn99 wrote:

I live in carroll county md and All my wood is outside in the shed and I
cannot get to it. Now I have time to play and no wood. the snow is
drifting to the point that I can no longer see the shed! Sigh!

Len

We have a customer who came to Tucson from your area of the country last
Thursday. Friday, he called me and said his flight had been canceled and he
was scheduled to go out Saturday morning. Fortunately he had kept his car
and hotel room. Got a call Monday morning -- he was still in Tucson and do
some work. He was scheduled to leave Tuesday morning. This afternoon one
of our other people got a call -- he's still stuck here. It's going to take
days for the air traffic to clear up after this is all over.

Rob Leatham

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark & Juanita wrote:

lennn99 wrote:

I live in carroll county md and All my wood is outside in the shed and I
cannot get to it. Now I have time to play and no wood. the snow is
drifting to the point that I can no longer see the shed! Sigh!

Len

We have a customer who came to Tucson from your area of the country last
Thursday. Friday, he called me and said his flight had been canceled and
he was scheduled to go out Saturday morning. Fortunately he had kept his
car and hotel room. Got a call Monday morning -- he was still in Tucson
and came in to do some work. He was scheduled to leave Tuesday morning.
This afternoon one of our other people got a call -- he's still stuck here.
It's going to take days for the air traffic to clear up after this is all
over.

[fixed the grammar from the last post, got interrupted]

Rob Leatham

Posted to rec.woodworking

Start designing a delivery system - e.g. like those used to fill Silos!
Wood transits a tunnel to the local crib. House end has the switch.
Auto hopper on the far end - e.g. a silo.

We expect hours of ice and then snow on top. My porch crib is full.

Martin ;-)

lennn99 wrote:
I live in carroll county md and All my wood is outside in the shed and I
cannot get to it. Now I have time to play and no wood. the snow is
drifting to the point that I can no longer see the shed! Sigh!

Len

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/10/10 3:27 PM, "lennn99" wrote:

I live in carroll county md and All my wood is outside in the shed and I
cannot get to it. Now I have time to play and no wood. the snow is drifting
to the point that I can no longer see the shed! Sigh!

Would you folks who live in the Mid-Atlantic and who took all our snow
please give it back? Here I Michigan, we are way below normal snow fall.
Even with the six inches that fell yesterday but we are still at less that
half of our normal snow fall for this time of winter season. If this
continues, it could translate to low water levels in our lakes and rivers.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 06:47:39 -0500, phorbin
wrote:
...according to one of the researchers, that's never happened before.

In Toronto over the last couple of days, we've had 3-5 centimeters.
Considering the total snowfall we've had this winter, that's a lot.
We're on course for a record minimal amount of snow this winter. I
think it's great.

Used to be that winter was good for throwing a few snowballs and
cooling off my beer. Not enough snow for either of those things this
winter. Might even make me rethink my moving down south somewhere when
I win the lottery. When I do, you're all invited to the party.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robert Haar" wrote in message
On 2/10/10 3:27 PM, "lennn99" wrote:

I live in carroll county md and All my wood is outside in the shed and I
cannot get to it. Now I have time to play and no wood. the snow is
drifting
to the point that I can no longer see the shed! Sigh!

Would you folks who live in the Mid-Atlantic and who took all our snow
please give it back? Here I Michigan, we are way below normal snow fall.
Even with the six inches that fell yesterday but we are still at less
that
half of our normal snow fall for this time of winter season. If this
continues, it could translate to low water levels in our lakes and rivers.

No kiddin'. Same thing with us in upstate NY. Way off the normal snowfall
this year. Way off...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Aw, I feel for you guys - NOT. Suck it up. At least you guys don't
have to deal with that **** all winter, every winter. I do. I'd move
if I could. Since I can't I'll deal with it and not complain. The
people in Haiti have something to complain about - you guys don't.
Posted to rec.woodworking
bob bob is offline

On 11 Feb, 08:38, "Mike Marlow" wrote:
[...]

We've got grass here in Montreal. Send that **** up here. We want all
of it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:
"Robert Haar" wrote in message

On 2/10/10 3:27 PM, "lennn99" wrote:

I live in carroll county md and All my wood is outside in the shed and I
cannot get to it. Now I have time to play and no wood. the snow is
drifting
to the point that I can no longer see the shed! Sigh!

Would you folks who live in the Mid-Atlantic and who took all our snow
please give it back? Here I Michigan, we are way below normal snow fall.
Even with the six inches that fell yesterday but we are still at less
that
half of our normal snow fall for this time of winter season. If this
continues, it could translate to low water levels in our lakes and rivers.

No kiddin'. Same thing with us in upstate NY. Way off the normal snowfall
this year. Way off...

I'm not complaining!

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/11/10 12:18 PM, "Nova" wrote:

I'm not complaining!

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Don't you usually get about ten feet of snow each winter? What is it so far?
We normally have about 48" at this time of the season and are at less than
half that.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robert Haar wrote:
On 2/11/10 12:18 PM, "Nova" wrote:

I'm not complaining!

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Don't you usually get about ten feet of snow each winter? What is it so far?
We normally have about 48" at this time of the season and are at less than
half that.

So far this season we've officially had 63.1". The average seasonal
total snowfall for this date is 69.9" so we're slightly below normal.
The record was 199.4" for the 1976 - 1977 season (Blizzard of '77).

Officially Buffalo hold the state record at 199.4" but Rochester, NY and
Syracuse, NY normally get more snow than Buffalo. The Syracuse average
is 121.1" and Rochaster's average is 100.3"

Unofficially the Buffalo weather station where the measurements are
taken is at the airport which is in Cheektowaga, NY. I've had 4' of
overnight snow at my home in the south part of Buffalo and the official
measurement at the airport, about 10 miles east of me, was about 5".
Lake effect snow storms are like that.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 10, 2:27*pm, "lennn99" wrote:
I live in carroll county md and All my wood is outside in the shed and I
cannot get to it. Now I have time to play and no wood. the snow is drifting
to the point that I can no longer see the shed! Sigh!

Len

I told a fellow the other day "The next person who says this is such a
pretty snow is gettin' punched. We have had a glacier at the end of
our driveway since mid December from continuous removal and piling.
But I cannot imagine what you folks are going through. We have had
about 25 inches in SE Kansas this winter which is a lot. You guys
have well exceeded that in days.

Good Luck and keep the fridge full of beer.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Nova" wrote in message
Mike Marlow wrote:

No kiddin'. Same thing with us in upstate NY. Way off the normal
snowfall this year. Way off...

I'm not complaining!

Yeah - I'm not either. I've only plowed three times this winter, and of
those I really only needed to plow once. But it sure has been cold this
winter. January was a beast. We can get a hell of a lot of snow in
February, but this year I think Lake Ontario cooled down enough during
January that we just may not see a lot of February snow. It would not hurt
my feelings to see an early spring this year.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robert Haar" wrote in message
On 2/11/10 12:18 PM, "Nova" wrote:

I'm not complaining!

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Don't you usually get about ten feet of snow each winter? What is it so
far?
We normally have about 48" at this time of the season and are at less than
half that.

I think that is about right for Nova. Where I live we usually get between
20-30 feet. I don't know the official measurement, but it's under 100
inches.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Mike Marlow" wrote:

I think that is about right for Nova. Where I live we usually get between
20-30 feet. I don't know the official measurement, but it's under 100
inches.

Good Lord, Mike, where do you live??
Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:

In article , "Mike Marlow" wrote:

I think that is about right for Nova. Where I live we usually get between
20-30 feet. I don't know the official measurement, but it's under 100
inches.

Good Lord, Mike, where do you live??

I was about to ask the same thing.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

It is being reported that 49 of the 50 states have/had snow on the
ground today.

Welcome to winter.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

I think that is about right for Nova. Where I live we usually get between
20-30 feet. I don't know the official measurement, but it's under 100
inches.

Good Lord, Mike, where do you live??

North of Syracuse, NY.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Nova" wrote in message
Doug Miller wrote:

In article , "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

I think that is about right for Nova. Where I live we usually get
between 20-30 feet. I don't know the official measurement, but it's
under 100 inches.

Good Lord, Mike, where do you live??

I was about to ask the same thing.

Well of course - I live where we get the snow and you guys get the
publicity. I'm a half hour north of Syracuse. We're on the edge of the Tug
Hill Plateau. Get a little further north of us and they really get blasted,
but we're on the edge of the blast. Normal around here is that by February,
the snowbanks are up to the stop signs. Go a bit further north (oh maybe...
10 miles or so), and that happens a month earlier. This year - not even
close.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:
"Nova" wrote in message

Doug Miller wrote:

In article , "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

I think that is about right for Nova. Where I live we usually get
between 20-30 feet. I don't know the official measurement, but it's
under 100 inches.

Good Lord, Mike, where do you live??

I was about to ask the same thing.

Well of course - I live where we get the snow and you guys get the
publicity. I'm a half hour north of Syracuse. We're on the edge of the Tug
Hill Plateau. Get a little further north of us and they really get blasted,
but we're on the edge of the blast. Normal around here is that by February,
the snowbanks are up to the stop signs. Go a bit further north (oh maybe...
10 miles or so), and that happens a month earlier. This year - not even
close.

My guess was somewhere around Watertown, NY. I wasn't too far off.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Nova" wrote in message

My guess was somewhere around Watertown, NY. I wasn't too far off.

Nope not too far at all. We're a bit less than half way between Syracuse
and Watertown. Actually once you get to Watertown, you're pretty well out
of the snow belt. It starts a little south of us and runs to about Adams
Center or so.

Funny thing this year - one of our daughters lives in Philly and they
actually have now beaten Syracuse for snow fall as of this week's snow. And
they got theirs pretty much all at once. They're not at all prepared for
that.

Then of course there's the youngest daughter down in Dallas, who sent us
pictures of 12" of snow that fell pretty much overnight. Talk about not
prepared for that kind of stuff...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I think that is about right for Nova. Where I live we usually get between
20-30 feet. I don't know the official measurement, but it's under 100
inches.

Good Lord, Mike, where do you live??

North of Syracuse, NY.

Ahhhh. My dad's sister and her husband used to live in Syracuse. It was always
summertime when we went to visit them, for some reason.... g

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 08:19:56 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

"Nova" wrote in message
.. .

My guess was somewhere around Watertown, NY. I wasn't too far off.

Nope not too far at all. We're a bit less than half way between Syracuse
and Watertown. Actually once you get to Watertown, you're pretty well out
of the snow belt. It starts a little south of us and runs to about Adams
Center or so.

Funny thing this year - one of our daughters lives in Philly and they
actually have now beaten Syracuse for snow fall as of this week's snow. And
they got theirs pretty much all at once. They're not at all prepared for
that.

Then of course there's the youngest daughter down in Dallas, who sent us
pictures of 12" of snow that fell pretty much overnight. Talk about not
prepared for that kind of stuff...

The "snow belt" generally starts about 6 miles (10KM) from the lake.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Michael Kenefick wrote:
[top posting corrected; please don't do that]
Lew Hodgett wrote:
Subject

It is being reported that 49 of the 50 states have/had snow on the
ground today.

Welcome to winter.

I heard that yesterday as well. What state does not have snow is what I
did not hear? Hawaii has snow on top of the some of the volcanic mountains.

According to my morning newspaper, Hawaii is the only one that doesn't have
snow on the ground anywhere right now.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Subject

It is being reported that 49 of the 50 states have/had snow on the
ground today.

Welcome to winter.

I heard that yesterday as well. What state does not have snow is
what I did not hear? Hawaii has snow on top of the some of the
volcanic mountains.

According to my morning newspaper, Hawaii is the only one that
doesn't have
snow on the ground anywhere right now.

Your paper is wrong. Mauna Kea on the Big Island has snow pretty much year
round. LOTs of snow this time of year.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 17:44:03 -0800, "LDosser"
wrote:

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
. ..
Subject

It is being reported that 49 of the 50 states have/had snow on the ground
today.

Welcome to winter.

Lew

What was 50?