foggytown

Default I hate it when this happens

Anyone want to tell me how a 4 foot length of 1 X 6 T&G can go missing
in a shed that is only 10 X 12? I spent three hours milling it two
weeks ago and now when I need it - POOF! Well, they say the second
thing to go is the memory.

FoggyTown
"Cut to shape . . . pound to fit."

foggytown wrote:
Anyone want to tell me how a 4 foot length of 1 X 6 T&G can go

missing
in a shed that is only 10 X 12? I spent three hours milling it two
weeks ago and now when I need it - POOF! Well, they say the second
thing to go is the memory.

FoggyTown
"Cut to shape . . . pound to fit."

Wood Elves. Pesky little creatures. Sneak up at night and steal your
wood. Especially active during Xmas season.
If you see these do not approach them they are extremely Dangerous
instaed Call 1-800 Get-Santa.
Other problem may be new species of termites that have evolved (due to
environmental polution or other stuff) into larger more voratious pests
that leave no sawdust or trace.

Norman D. Crow

"foggytown" wrote in message
oups.com...
Anyone want to tell me how a 4 foot length of 1 X 6 T&G can go missing
in a shed that is only 10 X 12? I spent three hours milling it two
weeks ago and now when I need it - POOF! Well, they say the second
thing to go is the memory.

he . . he . . he! Must have gone the same place my drawer front went. Made 3
new drawer fronts to go on 3 new drawers for on-going kitchen fixup, had to
back away for a while, and now I can only find 2 of them!

--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

Joe

instaed Call 1-800 Get-Santa.

IKON Office Solutions? I tried the company directory and got a valid Ext.
863 after some messing around. I left a message for Ralph Jordan telling
him he had that phone number...

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
http://www.autodrill.com
http://www.multi-spindle-heads.com

Swingman

"foggytown" wrote in message
Anyone want to tell me how a 4 foot length of 1 X 6 T&G can go missing
in a shed that is only 10 X 12? I spent three hours milling it two
weeks ago and now when I need it - POOF! Well, they say the second
thing to go is the memory.

LOL ... you do remember that 24" caul you cut off that funny looking 1 X 6,
doncha?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Andy Dingley

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 13:27:19 GMT, "Robert A. Gramza"
wrote:

When you find it see if my brank new 4' , 3/8" flex bit is next to it.

Ttwo twelve inch steel rules and a tape measure please.

RonB

Well, they say the second thing to go is the memory.

Hey! Dont't worry about it. It will probably show up in my shop any day
now. I'm constantly finding things in this mess I didn't know I had.

Dave Hinz

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 07:40:03 -0500, Joe wrote:
instaed Call 1-800 Get-Santa.

IKON Office Solutions? I tried the company directory and got a valid Ext.
863 after some messing around. I left a message for Ralph Jordan telling
him he had that phone number...

IKON office solutions, the company that brought us Darl "All your Linux
belong to Microsoft" McBride? I think I'll avoid them, thanks.

mac davis

On 8 Dec 2004 01:29:12 -0800, "foggytown" wrote:

Anyone want to tell me how a 4 foot length of 1 X 6 T&G can go missing
in a shed that is only 10 X 12? I spent three hours milling it two
weeks ago and now when I need it - POOF! Well, they say the second
thing to go is the memory.

FoggyTown
"Cut to shape . . . pound to fit."

try the kitchen or garage... your wife is probably holding something
open with it, or using it for a planting shelf..
foggytown

Well, at least it's better than my usual brain fart which is merrily
working away and suddenly realising that the container which I have now
raised to within 1/2" away from my mouth is the plastic cup containing
the turpentine and not my tea!
FoggyTown
"Cut to shape . . . pound to fit."

jo4hn

foggytown wrote:

Anyone want to tell me how a 4 foot length of 1 X 6 T&G can go missing
in a shed that is only 10 X 12? I spent three hours milling it two
weeks ago and now when I need it - POOF! Well, they say the second
thing to go is the memory.

FoggyTown
"Cut to shape . . . pound to fit."

Nooooo problemo. Mill another one and the original will show up.
xorp,
j4 (aka BTDT boy)
brocpuffs

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 09:11:48 -0600, "RonB" wrote:

Well, they say the second thing to go is the memory.

Hey! Dont't worry about it. It will probably show up in my shop any day
now. I'm constantly finding things in this mess I didn't know I had.

Keep an eye out for my 6'x1x5 sassafras board too! Never had a chance
to try it out, even.

james

Tim Douglass

On 8 Dec 2004 08:09:15 -0800, "foggytown" wrote:

Well, at least it's better than my usual brain fart which is merrily
working away and suddenly realising that the container which I have now
raised to within 1/2" away from my mouth is the plastic cup containing
the turpentine and not my tea!

So long as it is before you sip!

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

Dave in Fairfax

brocpuffs wrote:
Keep an eye out for my 6'x1x5 sassafras board too! Never had a chance
to try it out, even.

Hey Jim, I've got that one, thanks. Smells great. I've been
turning little, tiny bats out of the off cuts. Beats everything
else in the sox drawer.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
Andy Dingley

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 20:05:33 GMT, Dave in Fairfax
wrote:

Smells great. I've been turning little, tiny bats out of the off cuts.

How do you do the wings ? 8-)

Lawrence Wasserman

In article .com,
foggytown wrote:
Anyone want to tell me how a 4 foot length of 1 X 6 T&G can go missing
in a shed that is only 10 X 12? I spent three hours milling it two
weeks ago and now when I need it - POOF! Well, they say the second
thing to go is the memory.

FoggyTown
"Cut to shape . . . pound to fit."

I can't go into details, but incidents such as this at my house are
easily explained by the presence of spouse and offspring.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Dave in Fairfax

Andy Dingley wrote:
How do you do the wings ? 8-)

WAAAAY off-center.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
use:
daveldr at att dot net
American Association of Woodturners
http://www.woodturner.org
Capital Area Woodturners
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
PATINA
http://www.Patinatools.org/
NoOne N Particular

I made two solid wood doors for a project I am making, and one of them has
just vanished completely. It HAS to be in my garage/shop somewhere, but I
have turned it inside out three times and can only find one of them.

Wayne

"foggytown" wrote in message
oups.com...
Anyone want to tell me how a 4 foot length of 1 X 6 T&G can go missing
in a shed that is only 10 X 12? I spent three hours milling it two
weeks ago and now when I need it - POOF! Well, they say the second
thing to go is the memory.

FoggyTown
"Cut to shape . . . pound to fit."

NoOne N Particular

wrote:

When you find it see if my brank new 4' , 3/8" flex bit is next to it.

Ttwo twelve inch steel rules and a tape measure please.

I now have 7 tape measures in my garage/shop. Even at that, there is NEVER
one within reach when I need it.

Wayne

Gino

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 21:08:39 GMT, "NoOne N Particular"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

When you find it see if my brank new 4' , 3/8" flex bit is next to it.

Ttwo twelve inch steel rules and a tape measure please.

I now have 7 tape measures in my garage/shop. Even at that, there is NEVER
one within reach when I need it.

I have TWO identical MAKITA belt sanders.
I 'lost' one in my small shop, and finally decided one of my thieving neighbors
stole it and bought another.
A month later I decided it was time to clean up the planer corner. Under the
shavings was my belt sander.

I'm considering cutting back on the diet soda.
Pat Barber

I have found the only way to have a "marking device"
anywhere in my shop:

(1) Go to Office Depot and buy case(s) of pencils.

(2) Walk through shop and lay two or more on every
flat surface in shop.

(3) Stand at one end of shop and throw large groups
of pencils in all directions.

(4) Go to other end of shop and repeat step (3).

(5) Repeat process about once a month.

The same process is used for tape measures.

NoOne N Particular wrote:

I now have 7 tape measures in my garage/shop. Even at that, there is NEVER
one within reach when I need it.

Swingman

"NoOne N Particular" wrote in message
I made two solid wood doors for a project I am making, and one of them has
just vanished completely. It HAS to be in my garage/shop somewhere, but I
have turned it inside out three times and can only find one of them.

Alien research activities?

My 'Building Construction Illustrated' went missing last week I checked
every bookshelf in the house, under the bed, bathrooms, truck, truck bed,
behind/under truck seats, made three trips to the shop, went through all the
cabinets and shelves there, did it again, did it once more ... and finally
borrowed my architect's copy.

Walked in the shop Monday morning and there it was sitting on a cabinet
shelf in plain sight. If you've ever seen this book, there is NO way to miss
it on a bookshelf!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Dave Hinz

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 20:53:57 GMT, Lawrence Wasserman wrote:

I can't go into details, but incidents such as this at my house are
easily explained by the presence of spouse and offspring.

Ehhh...I'm not convinced. My dad always used to blame me for losing his
tools. These days, the second and third place I look for my missing tools
are his garage, and his barn, and I usually find my tool that I'm looking
for, and at least one other that I didn't know he had that's mine. There's
a pattern here, and it's not "Dave losing his dad's tools".

Dave Hinz

Charles Spitzer

wrote:

I can't go into details, but incidents such as this at my house are
easily explained by the presence of spouse and offspring.

Ehhh...I'm not convinced. My dad always used to blame me for losing his
tools. These days, the second and third place I look for my missing tools
are his garage, and his barn, and I usually find my tool that I'm looking
for, and at least one other that I didn't know he had that's mine.
There's
a pattern here, and it's not "Dave losing his dad's tools".

Dave Hinz

my house was tilted downhill to my son's room until he moved out, when it
all of a sudden it leveled out and i could find things again.

Nova

Swingman wrote:

"foggytown" wrote in message
Anyone want to tell me how a 4 foot length of 1 X 6 T&G can go missing
in a shed that is only 10 X 12? I spent three hours milling it two
weeks ago and now when I need it - POOF! Well, they say the second
thing to go is the memory.

LOL ... you do remember that 24" caul you cut off that funny looking 1 X 6,
doncha?

You too?

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Swingman

"Nova" wrote in message
Swingman wrote:

"foggytown" wrote in message
Anyone want to tell me how a 4 foot length of 1 X 6 T&G can go missing
in a shed that is only 10 X 12? I spent three hours milling it two
weeks ago and now when I need it - POOF! Well, they say the second
thing to go is the memory.

LOL ... you do remember that 24" caul you cut off that funny looking 1 X

6,
doncha?

You too?

More times than I care to think about ... or is that remember?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Silvan

foggytown wrote:

Anyone want to tell me how a 4 foot length of 1 X 6 T&G can go missing
in a shed that is only 10 X 12? I spent three hours milling it two
weeks ago and now when I need it - POOF! Well, they say the second
thing to go is the memory.

It's right with all my Phillips screwdrivers and my bullseye level.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Silvan

Dave Hinz wrote:

Ehhh...I'm not convinced. My dad always used to blame me for losing his
tools. These days, the second and third place I look for my missing tools
are his garage, and his barn, and I usually find my tool that I'm looking
for, and at least one other that I didn't know he had that's mine.
There's a pattern here, and it's not "Dave losing his dad's tools".

Me too! Moreover, every year I buy him new tools, and every year I find
more of my tools at his house, with no trace of the ones I just bought him.
Tool organizers and other gadgets wind up empty, with not a tool in sight.
But I still get blamed for how I used to lose all his screwdrivers when I
was a kid.

(Well, I do lose all my screwdrivers as an adult. But I learned it honest!)

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

DIYGUY

Ever gone to look for your sandpaper and not have the right grit? So
you make a run down to the HW store and pick up $3 worth, that with gas
and mileage probably makes it a $5 hit to the wallet. Get home and use
the sandpaper and then need some clever place to store it? Inevitably I
decide to put it right on top of paper that is the exact grit I was
trying to find originally ...

foggytown wrote:

Anyone want to tell me how a 4 foot length of 1 X 6 T&G can go missing
in a shed that is only 10 X 12? I spent three hours milling it two
weeks ago and now when I need it - POOF! Well, they say the second
thing to go is the memory.

FoggyTown
"Cut to shape . . . pound to fit."

Dave Mundt

Greetings and Salutations....

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 21:41:14 GMT, Pat Barber
wrote:

I have found the only way to have a "marking device"
anywhere in my shop:

(1) Go to Office Depot and buy case(s) of pencils.

(2) Walk through shop and lay two or more on every
flat surface in shop.

(3) Stand at one end of shop and throw large groups
of pencils in all directions.

(4) Go to other end of shop and repeat step (3).

(5) Repeat process about once a month.

The same process is used for tape measures.

Interestingly enough, it seems to be
a contest between the woodworker and the inanimate
objects.
For example....A few months ago, I bought
a case of 500 carpenter's pencils off Ebay, as I was
tired of buying them one at a time every week or two
at Home Depot. Well, about three days after I
put the box of pencils in the shop, about half a
dozen of the other, missing pencils surfaced. It's
not like I cleaned house either...they just appeared,
laying on tool surfaces, sawdust piles, etc...exactly
as if they had seen the case of pencils, and given up
the game of hide-and-seek.
FWIW, there are few odors more pleasant than
the one I got when opening that box the first time.
The waft of combined Cedar, graphite and paint was
just a great and enjoyable experience.
Regards
Dave Mundt

Mark & Juanita

On 8 Dec 2004 01:29:12 -0800, "foggytown" wrote:

Anyone want to tell me how a 4 foot length of 1 X 6 T&G can go missing
in a shed that is only 10 X 12? I spent three hours milling it two
weeks ago and now when I need it - POOF! Well, they say the second
thing to go is the memory.

FoggyTown
"Cut to shape . . . pound to fit."

Just mill another piece; the missing piece will then come out of hiding.

charlie b

When you lose a lit flashlight in a dark,
unfurnished room . . .

charlie b

Norman D. Crow

"Silvan" wrote in message
Dave Hinz wrote:

[...]

I must own at LEAST 8 of those 4 way screwdrivers, enough for every room,
vehicle, and toolbox I have. Can I ever find one when I need it?

wrote:

When you find it see if my brank new 4' , 3/8" flex bit is next to it.

Ttwo twelve inch steel rules and a tape measure please.

I now have 7 tape measures in my garage/shop. Even at that, there is NEVER
one within reach when I need it.

My local hardware store has utility knives with their name
imprinted for sale next to the checkouts. They come in
3 colors, bright green, orange, and black. I now have
a complete set since I have bought one whenever I couldn't
find one at home/in the toolbox/wherever. I currently
know the location of 2 of these (green and black) but
I have seen the orange one within the last couple of months
so I know it still exists . . . somewhere.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.
mac davis

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 06:40:30 -0500, "Norman D. Crow"
wrote:

I must own at LEAST 8 of those 4 way screwdrivers, enough for every room,
vehicle, and toolbox I have. Can I ever find one when I need it?

I've been buying tape measures for years... any size or brand, as long
as they're on sale..
my theory is that some day I'll have so damn many that I'll always be
able to find one when I need it..
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 21:41:14 GMT, Pat Barber
calmly ranted:

I have found the only way to have a "marking device"
anywhere in my shop:

(1) Go to Office Depot and buy case(s) of pencils.

(2) Walk through shop and lay two or more on every
flat surface in shop.

(3) Stand at one end of shop and throw large groups
of pencils in all directions.

(4) Go to other end of shop and repeat step (3).

(5) Repeat process about once a month.

The same process is used for tape measures.

I love it!

BUT, don't you often find lots of leaded tools in your ol' dust
collector trash can separator when you empty it?

CAUTION: Do not use remaining fingers as pushsticks!
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 22:12:55 -0800, charlie b
calmly ranted:

When you lose a lit flashlight in a dark,
unfurnished room . . .

Hey, just lay down and play "snow angel" for awhile. You'll find it.