Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Google Groups Search

So, I was trying to do a search of the group archives using Google
Groups. It seems that I'm only getting results from the past month. I
did a test search on the term 'saw' and only got 280 results, with the
oldest being from July 9.

I've looked all over in the groups preferences and so on, but cannot
find anything that would set a limit on the age of the results. Any
one have the same problem, or a fix?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike wrote:
So, I was trying to do a search of the group archives using Google
Groups. It seems that I'm only getting results from the past month. I
did a test search on the term 'saw' and only got 280 results, with the
oldest being from July 9.

I've looked all over in the groups preferences and so on, but cannot
find anything that would set a limit on the age of the results. Any
one have the same problem, or a fix?

You are right, something is at least broken temporarily.
Hopefully not permanent.

--
Froz...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 17:29:24 -0700 (PDT), Mike wrote:

So, I was trying to do a search of the group archives using Google
Groups. It seems that I'm only getting results from the past month. I
did a test search on the term 'saw' and only got 280 results, with the
oldest being from July 9.

I've looked all over in the groups preferences and so on, but cannot
find anything that would set a limit on the age of the results. Any
one have the same problem, or a fix?

Get yourself a news reader and use a news server instead of Google.

Gordon Shumway
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike wrote:
So, I was trying to do a search of the group archives using Google
Groups. It seems that I'm only getting results from the past month. I
did a test search on the term 'saw' and only got 280 results, with the
oldest being from July 9.

I've looked all over in the groups preferences and so on, but cannot
find anything that would set a limit on the age of the results. Any
one have the same problem, or a fix?

"Hello All,

Currently some Google Groups are not being indexed and thus new
content is not showing up in search results. We're aware of the issue
and hope to have it resolved shortly. Thanks for your patience."

The Google Groups Team
http://groups.google.com/group/group...8d02f269a7d20d

That says that "new content" is not showing up but what you found, and I
verified, is that older content isn't being shown. Maybe the two are
related.

Tanus
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 19:46:50 -0500, Gordon Shumway
wrote:

Get yourself a news reader and use a news server instead of Google.

I believe the typical news server doesn't archive the content. If
that's the case, the only posts that would be available would be those
within that server's retention policy which varies from provider to
provider.

There may be more complete archives of specific groups, but it's my
understanding that Google Groups is probably the most complete (least
incomplete?) general archive available.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 17:29:24 -0700 (PDT), Mike wrote:

So, I was trying to do a search of the group archives using Google
Groups. It seems that I'm only getting results from the past month. I
did a test search on the term 'saw' and only got 280 results, with
the oldest being from July 9.

I've looked all over in the groups preferences and so on, but cannot
find anything that would set a limit on the age of the results. Any
one have the same problem, or a fix?

Get yourself a news reader and use a news server instead of Google.

A news readar and news server is not a substitute for the dejanews archive
that Google maintains, containing posts going back into the late '80s.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike wrote:
So, I was trying to do a search of the group archives using Google
Groups. It seems that I'm only getting results from the past month. I
did a test search on the term 'saw' and only got 280 results, with the
oldest being from July 9.

I've looked all over in the groups preferences and so on, but cannot
find anything that would set a limit on the age of the results. Any
one have the same problem, or a fix?

Somehow Google has managed to hose their indexes. Give it a few days and it
will probably be working again and some other group will be busted.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Get yourself a news reader and use a news server instead of Google.

I believe the typical news server doesn't archive the content. If
that's the case, the only posts that would be available would be those
within that server's retention policy which varies from provider to
provider.

There may be more complete archives of specific groups, but it's my
understanding that Google Groups is probably the most complete (least
incomplete?) general archive available.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA

Tom,

Currently there are over 30,000 posts on Newsguy that match the OP's
criteria. The oldest is dated May of 2005. I have no idea how long
Google retains posts for but I would think it wouldn't be that long.

Gordon Shumway
Posted to rec.woodworking

Gordon Shumway wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Scroll down to 2001 and look at the first company aquisition.
To the best of my knowledge, Google does not remove newsgroup
posts, ever.

Larry

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry wrote in
:

Gordon Shumway wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

I guess if I wasn't a dumbass I could have included the link.

http://www.google.com/corporate/history.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 22:30:00 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 17:29:24 -0700 (PDT), Mike wrote:

So, I was trying to do a search of the group archives using Google
Groups. It seems that I'm only getting results from the past month. I
did a test search on the term 'saw' and only got 280 results, with
the oldest being from July 9.

I've looked all over in the groups preferences and so on, but cannot
find anything that would set a limit on the age of the results. Any
one have the same problem, or a fix?

Get yourself a news reader and use a news server instead of Google.

A news readar and news server is not a substitute for the dejanews archive
that Google maintains, containing posts going back into the late '80s.

I'm not too sure about your "dejanews archive" statement. I just
looked at Google Groups for the first time tonight. There are
currently 216,000+ messages archived in this group at Google. At the
same time there are also 216,000+ messages on NewsGuy. Actually there
are a few hundred more on newsguy than Google but who's counting.

With that information I wouldn't be surprised to know that Google is
maintaining a Newsguy archive.

Gordon Shumway
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 30 Jul 2009 03:35:52 GMT, Larry wrote:

Larry wrote in
:

Gordon Shumway wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Larry,

See my reply to J.Clarke. I didn't sort Google by date to find the
oldest message because I couldn't find how to sort. How old is the
oldest message at google for this group? Is it older than Newsguy's
May of 2005?

Gordon Shumway
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Get yourself a news reader and use a news server instead of Google.

I believe the typical news server doesn't archive the content. If
that's the case, the only posts that would be available would be
those within that server's retention policy which varies from
provider to provider.

There may be more complete archives of specific groups, but it's my
understanding that Google Groups is probably the most complete (least
incomplete?) general archive available.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA

Tom,

Currently there are over 30,000 posts on Newsguy that match the OP's
criteria. The oldest is dated May of 2005. I have no idea how long
Google retains posts for but I would think it wouldn't be that long.

Well, Gordon, you think wrong. Google Groups is what used to be known as
"dejanews", whose sole purpose to existence was an attempt to archive
_everything_ that had _ever_ been posted on USENET. When Google took over
deja, they had posts going back to 1996. Google has since obtained several
other archives that contain posts going back to 1981.

Where Google went wrong was when they decided to compete with USENET instead
of just archiving it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry wrote:
Gordon Shumway wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

They will on request, under some circumstances.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

So, I was trying to do a search of the group archives using Google
Groups. It seems that I'm only getting results from the past
month. I did a test search on the term 'saw' and only got 280
results, with the oldest being from July 9.

I've looked all over in the groups preferences and so on, but
cannot find anything that would set a limit on the age of the
results. Any one have the same problem, or a fix?

Get yourself a news reader and use a news server instead of Google.

A news readar and news server is not a substitute for the dejanews
archive that Google maintains, containing posts going back into the
late '80s.

I'm not too sure about your "dejanews archive" statement.

Read the wikipedia entry on "dejanews". If you are doubting the existence
of dejanews, google it. If you are doubting that Google took over the
archive, go to http://www.dejanews.com and see what you get. If you doubt
that the archive goes back to the 1980s then go to http://www.dejanews.com,
click "advanced search", set the Message Dates to 1 Jan 1981 to 1 Jan 1982,
and for "Group" put "*" (without the quotes), and see what you get.

I just
looked at Google Groups for the first time tonight. There are
currently 216,000+ messages archived in this group at Google. At the
same time there are also 216,000+ messages on NewsGuy. Actually there
are a few hundred more on newsguy than Google but who's counting.

With that information I wouldn't be surprised to know that Google is
maintaining a Newsguy archive.

Gordon Shumway

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry wrote in news:Xns9C57E5765BBBnone@
216.151.153.60:

Scroll down to 2001 and look at the first company aquisition.
To the best of my knowledge, Google does not remove newsgroup
posts, ever.

Larry

FWIW, they seem to respect X-No-Archive. I've seen messages that were
going to disappear in a few days when the X-No-Archive timeout expired.

Puckdropper
rec.woodworking

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
Larry wrote in news:Xns9C57E5765BBBnone@
216.151.153.60:

Scroll down to 2001 and look at the first company aquisition.
To the best of my knowledge, Google does not remove newsgroup
posts, ever.

Larry

FWIW, they seem to respect X-No-Archive. I've seen messages that were
going to disappear in a few days when the X-No-Archive timeout
expired.

x-no-archive originated with deja so of course deja honors it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Gordon Shumway wrote:
[...]

You can see a whole lot of rec.woodworking posts archived by Google
back to 1994 or so on my humour page.

http://www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html

Luigi
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/29/2009 6:54 PM Tom Veatch spake thus:

wrote:

Get yourself a news reader and use a news server instead of Google.

I believe the typical news server doesn't archive the content. If
that's the case, the only posts that would be available would be those
within that server's retention policy which varies from provider to
provider.

There may be more complete archives of specific groups, but it's my
understanding that Google Groups is probably the most complete (least
incomplete?) general archive available.

Someone should compose a requiem for DejaNews, which was a hundred times
better than Google's ****ed-up implementation of an internet archive
(complete with non-altruistic profit motive, unlike Deja).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 29, 11:48*pm, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On 30 Jul 2009 03:35:52 GMT, Larry wrote:

Larry wrote in
:

Gordon Shumway wrote in
m:

wrote:

[...]

I regularly get results from 1998 and earlier when doing basic
searches.

I just recently tried to look up some information on solid surface
countertops in here, because it's a regularly discussed topic, and I
got 1 result, and that was with "Corian." I couldn't even use "solid
surface counter" and get any hits.

Hopefully they get this cleared up soon.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

At one point the DejaNews archives, which was sold to eBay in 2000 and
then to Google in 2001, contained the messages back to 1981.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deja_News

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Someone should compose a requiem for DejaNews, which was a hundred times
better than Google's ****ed-up implementation of an internet archive
(complete with non-altruistic profit motive, unlike Deja).

Except, Deja is GONE! If it weren't for Googles "non-altruistic profit
motive" so would the archives be gone...

Not to mention I have never had to pay Google a dime, for anything from
which they profit. In fact, I often marvel at how much they are worth,
considering they charge consumers nothing for their services. Not bad
for a company with a "non-altruistic profit motive"

--
Jack
Using FREE News Server: http://www.eternal-september.org/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike wrote:
: So, I was trying to do a search of the group archives using Google
: Groups. It seems that I'm only getting results from the past month. I
: did a test search on the term 'saw' and only got 280 results, with the
: oldest being from July 9.

: I've looked all over in the groups preferences and so on, but cannot
: find anything that would set a limit on the age of the results. Any
: one have the same problem, or a fix?

I've been having problems searching newsgroups on Google for months now.
If you go to "advanced search", there is a date delimiter, but
more often than not I can't retrieve posts I know exist even if
I set the date rang for the last ten years.

Something's awry.

-- Andy Barss
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/30/2009 7:40 AM Jack Stein spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Someone should compose a requiem for DejaNews, which was a hundred times
better than Google's ****ed-up implementation of an internet archive
(complete with non-altruistic profit motive, unlike Deja).

Except, Deja is GONE!

Well, that's my point.

Not to mention I have never had to pay Google a dime, for anything from
which they profit. In fact, I often marvel at how much they are worth,
considering they charge consumers nothing for their services. Not bad
for a company with a "non-altruistic profit motive"

Of course they don't charge users for their services. But think for a
minute about how they make their money, and who pays them for what.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gordon Shumway wrote in
:

See my reply to J.Clarke. I didn't sort Google by date to
find the oldest message because I couldn't find how to
sort. How old is the oldest message at google for this
group? Is it older than Newsguy's May of 2005?

Gordon Shumway

I just did a quick search and found posts as far back as Dec
1992. Are we using the same Google Groups? ;o}

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 31 Jul 2009 02:20:37 GMT, Larry wrote:

Gordon Shumway wrote in
:

See my reply to J.Clarke. I didn't sort Google by date to
find the oldest message because I couldn't find how to
sort. How old is the oldest message at google for this
group? Is it older than Newsguy's May of 2005?

Gordon Shumway

I just did a quick search and found posts as far back as Dec
1992. Are we using the same Google Groups? ;o}

Larry

Here is where I went:

http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?...ec.woodworking

I don't know of any other. But then I only went there yesterday for
the first time

Gordon Shumway
Posted to rec.woodworking

Gordon Shumway wrote:
On 31 Jul 2009 02:20:37 GMT, Larry wrote:

Gordon Shumway wrote in
:

See my reply to J.Clarke. I didn't sort Google by date to
find the oldest message because I couldn't find how to
sort. How old is the oldest message at google for this
group? Is it older than Newsguy's May of 2005?

Gordon Shumway

I just did a quick search and found posts as far back as Dec
1992. Are we using the same Google Groups? ;o}

Larry

Here is where I went:

http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?...ec.woodworking

I don't know of any other. But then I only went there yesterday for
the first time

That page doesn't have a sort--to find the oldest message you have to use
the advanced search.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gordon Shumway wrote in
:

Larry

Here is where I went:

http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?...q=rec.woodwork
ing

I don't know of any other. But then I only went there
yesterday for the first time

Gordon Shumway

Then click on "Advanced Search".
Pick a date range of 1/1/1992 - 1/1/1993
In the field below that put in rec.woodworking.
Leave everything else blank and click on the Advanced Search
button.

What I see is 3110 messages that meet that criteria.

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 23:20:07 -0400, phorbin
wrote:

It was a failed attempt to migrate the Dejanews database to Google. I
don't know how much they lost, but every thing I'd written was erased
from the record and I'd been a participant all over the place for a long
time.

There was a sorta oops, we broke it permanently message when it
happened. --I'll admit to wondering if they meant to break it.

(Are there typos or words missing from that sentence. I confess to a
failure to decipher any meaning from it.)

The information is here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deja_News

According to the cited article, the "oops" occurred in 1999-2000 prior
to the DejaNews/eBay transaction in 2000. I offer no comment as to the
validity of the information on Wikipedia.

In 1999 the site (now known as Deja.com) sharply changed direction and
made its primary feature a shopping comparison service. During this
transition, which involved relocation of the servers, many older
messages in the Usenet archive became unavailable.

By late 2000 the company, in financial distress, sold the shopping
service to eBay, who incorporated the technology into their half.com
service.

By 2001 the search service was shut down. The archives were acquired
by Google[3] and reintroduced as Google Groups.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , phorbin wrote:
In article ,
says...
phorbin wrote:
In article ,

says...

A news readar and news server is not a substitute for the dejanews
archive that Google maintains, containing posts going back into the
late '80s.

Google is not a substitute for the dejanews archive, which Google
lost.

When did this loss occur?

It was a failed attempt to migrate the Dejanews database to Google. I
don't know how much they lost, but every thing I'd written was erased
from the record and I'd been a participant all over the place for a long
time.

There was a sorta oops, we broke it permanently message when it
happened. --I'll admit to wondering if they meant to break it.

The information is here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deja_News

No mention there at all of Google losing any data, just the statement that
"during this transition, many older messages ... became unavailable." In the
first place, the wording of this sentence implies temporary unavailability,
not permanent loss. Second, the "transition" referred to was (as the article
makes clear) a change in *Deja's* operations which occurred two years *before*
the sale to Google.
Posted to rec.woodworking

phorbin wrote:

It was a failed attempt to migrate the Dejanews database to Google. I
don't know how much they lost, but every thing I'd written was erased
from the record and I'd been a participant all over the place for a long
time.

There was a sorta oops, we broke it permanently message when it
happened. --I'll admit to wondering if they meant to break it.

The information is here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deja_News

Did you even read the above article? Generally, if you post a link to
support your case, the link supports your case? I know doing a search on
"the" back to 1981 you get messages posted back that far. What parts of
usenet is archived, or if any message have been lost, or removed, I
certainly can't say, and your wikipedia link doesn't say Google lost
anything.

If you can't find messages you know you posted, I guess either they were
lost, or, your search parameters didn't work, or, the search engine
isn't working.

I know while looking through some of this I found Google said they have
over a TRILLION web pages indexed. I know, thats not messages but that
is a hell of a lot of pages. For an old guy like me, I'm constantly
amazed at how fast all this stuff works. Storing this much stuff is
awesome, but searching through it for info is mind boggling to me.

--
Jack
Using FREE News Server: http://www.eternal-september.org/
http://jbstein.com

Edge sanders and google groups search weirdness [email protected] Woodworking 7 August 30th 08 02:33 AM
Google Groups. Weatherlawyer UK diy 2 June 15th 06 07:55 PM
oh god they f**ked up google groups bigtime Grant Erwin Metalworking 28 December 7th 04 01:06 AM
New google Groups: Somewhat OT [email protected] Woodworking 1 December 4th 04 04:55 PM
Sorry- OT Re Google Groups- WTF? brad Woodworking 8 December 12th 03 01:21 PM