Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Spiral vs Jig saw

I'm new here, so do not know the group rules. I'm also pretty new to DIY
homeowner stuff. I need to install some handicap bars and step rails and
refurbish a badly weathered deck. I'm not without some experience, having
worked as a novice carpenter decades ago. I have most carpenter hand tools
and a couple circular saws.

I need to do some work that once would have been the domain of the jig saw,
a tool I'm familiar with, but these new roto-zip saws intrigue me. I need
to notch some step boards on the deck and cut out a section of some 1-1/8"
thk verniered particle board. Should I go with the older jig saw or would I
be better served, in the long run, by the newer spiral saw technology,
assuming I can't afford both tools. Thank you.

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

"notbob" wrote in message
I'm new here, so do not know the group rules. I'm also pretty new to DIY
homeowner stuff. I need to install some handicap bars and step rails and
refurbish a badly weathered deck. I'm not without some experience, having
worked as a novice carpenter decades ago. I have most carpenter hand
tools
and a couple circular saws.

I need to do some work that once would have been the domain of the jig
saw,
a tool I'm familiar with, but these new roto-zip saws intrigue me. I need
to notch some step boards on the deck and cut out a section of some 1-1/8"
thk verniered particle board. Should I go with the older jig saw or would
be better served, in the long run, by the newer spiral saw technology,
assuming I can't afford both tools. Thank you.

nb

The Rotozip was originally developed to cut sheet rock/dry wall cut outs.
It has been marketed as a do it all tool but in all seriousness it does not
perform well on any material harder than sheetrock/ or drywall.

A jig saw would be a better choice and will work on a variety of harder
materials than sheetrock. Consider also a Fein Multimaster. These
particular is expensive however there are 3 or 4 "clones" out there that are
much more reasonable in price. IIRC Bosch, Dremel, and Harbor Freight make
their own versions.

Posted to rec.woodworking

:
: nb

: The Rotozip was originally developed to cut sheet rock/dry wall cut outs.
: It has been marketed as a do it all tool but in all seriousness it does not
: perform well on any material harder than sheetrock/ or drywall.

: A jig saw would be a better choice and will work on a variety of harder
: materials than sheetrock.

Second the recommendation of the jig saw. Also, the blades you use make an enormous
difference. I've been vry impressed with Bosch's new line of Xtra Clean For Wood blades
(T308B). Here's a review:

http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/...63fb9a3f4.aspx

You can get them from Amzon (and probably locally if you're in a city).

-- Andy Barss
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Andrew Barss" wrote in message

Second the recommendation of the jig saw. Also, the blades you use make
an enormous
difference. I've been vry impressed with Bosch's new line of Xtra Clean
For Wood blades
(T308B). Here's a review:

http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/...63fb9a3f4.aspx

I have seen these blades, have you used Bosh blades in the past? Do these
cut cleaner than the older Bosch styles? I only use Bosch blades and pretty
much get a burnished smooth surface on hard woods using the regular Bosch
blades, fine cut, with a Milwaukee jig saw. I get a "little" tear out on
the top side when cross cutting Oak veneer plywood.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"Andrew Barss" wrote in message

Second the recommendation of the jig saw. Also, the blades you use make
an enormous
difference. I've been vry impressed with Bosch's new line of Xtra Clean
For Wood blades
(T308B). Here's a review:

http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/...63fb9a3f4.aspx

I have seen these blades, have you used Bosh blades in the past? Do these
cut cleaner than the older Bosch styles? I only use Bosch blades and pretty
much get a burnished smooth surface on hard woods using the regular Bosch
blades, fine cut, with a Milwaukee jig saw. I get a "little" tear out on
the top side when cross cutting Oak veneer plywood.

I haven't yet tried the new Bosch, but I have used the older ones. I'm
fairly sure the guys at PopWood have used Bosch blades before and they
seem pretty impressed with the Xtra Clean ones. All other reviews have
been positive as well (just do a google search).

Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 5, 11:46*am, Andrew Barss wrote:
Leon wrote:
: "notbob" wrote in message

: I
: be better served, in the long run, by the newer spiral saw technology,
: assuming I can't afford both tools. *Thank you.
:
: nb

: The Rotozip was originally developed to cut sheet rock/dry wall cut outs.
: It has been marketed as a do it all tool but in all seriousness it does not
: perform well on any material harder than sheetrock/ or drywall.

: A jig saw would be a better choice and will work on a variety of harder
: materials than sheetrock.

Second the recommendation of the jig saw. *Also, the blades you use make an enormous
difference. *I've been vry impressed with Bosch's new line of Xtra Clean For Wood blades
(T308B). Here's a review:

An AMAZING blade. Truly a break-through in jigsaw blades.

http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/...View,guid,ab21...

You can get them from Amzon (and probably locally if you're in a city).

* * * * -- Andy Barss

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 5, 11:07*am, notbob wrote:
I'm new here, so do not know the group rules. *I'm also pretty new to DIY
homeowner stuff. *I need to install some handicap bars and step rails and
refurbish a badly weathered deck. *I'm not without some experience, having
worked as a novice carpenter decades ago. *I have most carpenter hand tools
and a couple circular saws. *

I need to do some work that once would have been the domain of the jig saw,
a tool I'm familiar with, but these new roto-zip saws intrigue me. *I need
to notch some step boards on the deck and cut out a section of some 1-1/8"
thk verniered particle board. *Should I go with the older jig saw or would I
be better served, in the long run, by the newer spiral saw technology,
assuming I can't afford both tools. *Thank you.

nb

Jigsaw. Bosch offers a neat package with a 5 amp D-Handle saw that
comes with a Random Orbital 5" sander. It was selling up here in
Canuckistan for $ 149.00 for the pair.

Those RotoTools are useless. If you want one of those, go to a pawn-
shop and pick one up for next-to-nothing... there's a reason they're
cheap.
Posted to rec.woodworking

notbob wrote:
I'm new here, so do not know the group rules. I'm also pretty new to
DIY homeowner stuff. I need to install some handicap bars and step
rails and refurbish a badly weathered deck. I'm not without some
experience, having worked as a novice carpenter decades ago. I have
most carpenter hand tools and a couple circular saws.

I need to do some work that once would have been the domain of the
jig saw, a tool I'm familiar with, but these new roto-zip saws
intrigue me. I need to notch some step boards on the deck and cut
out a section of some 1-1/8" thk verniered particle board. Should I
go with the older jig saw or would I be better served, in the long
run, by the newer spiral saw technology, assuming I can't afford both
tools. Thank you.

Consider the Harbor Freight Multifunction tool

It's identical in function to the Fein Multimaster (but about $250 cheaper).
Here's what the Fein (and HF) tool can do. Watch this video for the notching
project you have.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nynD2SfyINU

Since the Fein patent expired late last year, others have duplicated the
tool. Harbor Freight, Dremel, Bosch, and others make a replacement tool -
and all the blades between manufacturers are interchangable.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2009-03-05, HeyBub wrote:

Since the Fein patent expired late last year, others have duplicated the
tool. Harbor Freight, Dremel, Bosch, and others make a replacement tool -
and all the blades between manufacturers are interchangable.

Wow! Pretty impressive. What's the generic term for this type of tool, in
case I can't get to a Harbor Freight (forget Fein! . Thanks.

nb

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 5, 11:46*am, "HeyBub" wrote:

Since the Fein patent expired late last year, others have duplicated the
tool. Harbor Freight, Dremel, Bosch, and others make a replacement tool -
and all the blades between manufacturers are interchangable.

I FINALLY talked to someone that used the Rockwell Sonicrafter. He
loves it.

He is the manager of a local lumber yard, and they sell the full line
of the Rockwell branded tools. He does a lot of general stuff, but
doesn't use his tools full time.

He told me that his BIL has one these things (bought from him of
course!) and he does a lot of contract repair work. He loves the
machine and it has a permanent place in the truck.

I asked him about the overall view of the Rockwell brand. He says
that in a year or so, they haven't had but one tool come back because
of a defect (battery). According to him, the contractors he sells the
tools to think that the tools are solid and well priced.

He admitted the sales were slow, but attributed that to the fact that
little advertisement is done outside trade mags or the normal wood/DIY
mags. The public doesn't have much awareness of the revamped brand.

On another note, I received a DeWalt rotary tool for Christmas about 5
years ago. I used it one day... I have no idea what to do with it.
Since LOML gave it to me, I cannot sell or trade it.
\
You would think doing all the repairs and remodel stuff I do it would
be invaluable, but the only time I used it was when I was setting some
tile myself and wanted to cut some holes in the tile. I would stay
away from a rotary unless you have identified a task that only that
tool can perform.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

notbob wrote:
I'm new here, so do not know the group rules. I'm also pretty new to DIY
homeowner stuff. I need to install some handicap bars and step rails and
refurbish a badly weathered deck. I'm not without some experience, having
worked as a novice carpenter decades ago. I have most carpenter hand tools
and a couple circular saws.

I need to do some work that once would have been the domain of the jig saw,
a tool I'm familiar with, but these new roto-zip saws intrigue me. I need
to notch some step boards on the deck and cut out a section of some 1-1/8"
thk verniered particle board. Should I go with the older jig saw or would I
be better served, in the long run, by the newer spiral saw technology,
assuming I can't afford both tools. Thank you.

nb

Although not included in your choices, I would probably use a hand saw
and a jigsaw.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Insert inevitable trivial witticism of
your choice.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Since the Fein patent expired late last year, others have duplicated the
tool. Harbor Freight, Dremel, Bosch, and others make a replacement tool -
and all the blades between manufacturers are interchangable.

Guess we're all waiting for the Festool patent to expire. Wonder when *that*
is?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 5, 12:46*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

Since the Fein patent expired late last year, others have duplicated the
tool. Harbor Freight, Dremel, Bosch, and others make a replacement tool -
and all the blades between manufacturers are interchangable.

You may want to check that. I don't they're all interchangeable. In
fact, I'm pretty sure they're not. But I also don't know which fit
which.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 5, 10:09*am, "
wrote:
On Mar 5, 11:46*am, "HeyBub" wrote:

[...]

I bought a Roto-Zip type tool thinking I would use it for all kinds of
home remodeling jobs but as others have stated it doesn't do all that
much very well. What I did find it useful for was cutting holes in a
lath and plaster ceiling to install recessed light cans. I burned up a
couple of carbide bits and made all kinds of dust but didn't have a
lot of patching to do (house built in 1938). It also does a decent job
on ceramic tile with a carbide bit for enlarging holes and trimming
odd shapes and of course cutting out holes in drywall with the proper
bit. My personal experience is that it doesn't cut through wood
thicker than say 1/4". I would choose a jigsaw or Sawzall-type saw as
being more useful. I don't have any experience with the Fein-type
multitasker though they look intriguing.

Dale
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
and all the blades between manufacturers are interchangable.

You may want to check that. I don't they're all interchangeable. In
fact, I'm pretty sure they're not. But I also don't know which fit
which.

-----------------------------
Recently, I talked briefly to a guy at Home Depot demonstrating a Dremel
oscillating tool. According to him, their accessories fit the Fein
oscillating tool, but the reverse is not true. Don't know about the rest.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

Since the Fein patent expired late last year, others have duplicated the
tool. Harbor Freight, Dremel, Bosch, and others make a replacement tool -
and all the blades between manufacturers are interchangable.

That is not true. Some of the blades are 1 way interchangeable. You cannot
mount all Fein blades on the Dremel.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2009-03-05, HeyBub wrote:

Since the Fein patent expired late last year, others have duplicated
the tool. Harbor Freight, Dremel, Bosch, and others make a
replacement tool - and all the blades between manufacturers are
interchangable.

Wow! Pretty impressive. What's the generic term for this type of
tool, in case I can't get to a Harbor Freight (forget Fein! .
Thanks.

Dunno. A "Multi(something)" I guess.

You'll get to HF - or have them get to you. The Dremel rendition is about
$100, the Bosch and Rockwell varieties slightly more.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
On Mar 5, 12:46 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

Since the Fein patent expired late last year, others have duplicated
the tool. Harbor Freight, Dremel, Bosch, and others make a
replacement tool - and all the blades between manufacturers are
interchangable.

You may want to check that. I don't they're all interchangeable. In
fact, I'm pretty sure they're not. But I also don't know which fit
which.

The Dremel blades fit the HF model (by experiment) and say on the package
that they fit Fein tools. Bosch says to use Fein blades.

So, I'll rephrase: There is a high degree, if not universal, of
interchangeability in the blades of different manufacturers.

This makes sense: The real money (like Gilette) is in the blades, not the
tool. The simple cutting blade from Dremel is about $11 (and costs about
five cents to manufacture).

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gerald Ross wrote:
notbob wrote:
I'm new here, so do not know the group rules. I'm also pretty new
to DIY homeowner stuff. I need to install some handicap bars and
step rails and refurbish a badly weathered deck. I'm not without
some experience, having worked as a novice carpenter decades ago. I
have most carpenter hand tools and a couple circular saws.

I need to do some work that once would have been the domain of the
jig saw, a tool I'm familiar with, but these new roto-zip saws
intrigue me. I need to notch some step boards on the deck and cut
out a section of some 1-1/8" thk verniered particle board. Should I
go with the older jig saw or would I be better served, in the long
run, by the newer spiral saw technology, assuming I can't afford
both tools. Thank you. nb

Although not included in your choices, I would probably use a hand saw
and a jigsaw.

The spiral saw is a specialized tool--it's basically a router with a 1/8
inch collet. Trouble is that between the wobbly base and lack of any kind
of precise depth adjustment it's a lousy router. If you need to cut drywall
or plaster that's on the wall it's your tool, no question, because you can
set it to go through the plaster without chewing up the studs or grabbing
any wiring that's in the wall. But that's it's only real strength.

Since it does have a 1/8 collet it will take Dremel bits, so if you ever
need Moby Dremel it will do the job but so will a ten buck die grinder from
Harbor Fright (if you have a compressor).

For the tasks described it wouldn't be the best option IMO. With the
standard bits it does OK on plaster and drywall but it's horribly slow on
wood thicker than 1/8" or so and doesn't give a smooth cut either. Most of
the rotary saws will take a 1/4" shank router bit and have enough power to
swing one if it's not too big-with one of those it will zip right through
wood but the base is really too narrow to get a good vertical cut and it
tends to march to its own drummer unless you have good jigs constraining its
movement.

For what was described, I'd likely use either a jigsaw or a Fein Multimaster
depending on what was behind it and how close it was to obstacles. The
Multimaster is near its depth limit at 1-1/8 (blade geometry limitation, not
power) but it will do it--if I had to get only one tool for what was
described, and not having eyeballed the situation, the Multimaster would
likely be it.

I've not used the Rockwell that nailshooter mentioned--if it had been out
when I got my Multimaster I would likely have given it a good hard look
though. The oscillating tools are the opposite end of the utility scale
from the rotary tools--they have so many tricks they can do that you wonder
how you got along without them.

A consideration though--the blades for all the oscillating tools are fairly
expensive--if one is using it heavily then it's going to be cheaper to get a
jigsaw for the grunt work than it is to keep using up 20-40 buck blades, and
reserve the oscillating tool for the jobs where its unique talents are
really needed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 5, 3:20*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
On Mar 5, 12:46 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

Since the Fein patent expired late last year, others have duplicated
the tool. Harbor Freight, Dremel, Bosch, and others make a
replacement tool - and all the blades between manufacturers are
interchangable.

You may want to check that. I don't they're all interchangeable. In
fact, I'm pretty sure they're not. But I also don't know which fit
which.

The Dremel blades fit the HF model (by experiment) and say on the package
that they fit Fein tools. Bosch says to use Fein blades.

So, I'll rephrase: There is a high degree, if not universal, of
interchangeability in the blades of different manufacturers.

This makes sense: The real money (like Gilette) is in the blades, not the
tool. The simple cutting blade from Dremel is about $11 (and costs about
five cents to manufacture).

That's another Fein mess you got me into, Ollie.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Upscale wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

and all the blades between manufacturers are interchangable.

You may want to check that. I don't they're all interchangeable. In
fact, I'm pretty sure they're not. But I also don't know which fit
which.

-----------------------------
Recently, I talked briefly to a guy at Home Depot demonstrating a Dremel
oscillating tool. According to him, their accessories fit the Fein
oscillating tool, but the reverse is not true. Don't know about the rest.

That good to know... $8.00 for the Dremel blade vs. x $20.00 for Fein.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2009-03-05, Gerald Ross wrote:

Although not included in your choices, I would probably use a hand saw
and a jigsaw.

Yes. I have a crosscut saw. I figure the jigsaw is gonna be the best
choice, as I need to cut a radiused leg hangover cutout, like on a boat
berth, in the 1-1/8" particle board. The roto-zip doesn't seem to be
getting a good rap, but I see one of those multi-tools down the road. The
sanding option really looks handy.

Thank you all who provided valuble information on this. I'll be lurking
about for more great info.

nb

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Nova" wrote in message
Upscale wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

and all the blades between manufacturers are interchangable.

You may want to check that. I don't they're all interchangeable. In
fact, I'm pretty sure they're not. But I also don't know which fit
which.

-----------------------------
Recently, I talked briefly to a guy at Home Depot demonstrating a Dremel
oscillating tool. According to him, their accessories fit the Fein
oscillating tool, but the reverse is not true. Don't know about the rest.

That good to know... $8.00 for the Dremel blade vs. x $20.00 for Fein.

Fein has a $20 blade???

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"Nova" wrote in message

Upscale wrote:

"Robatoy" wrote in message

and all the blades between manufacturers are interchangable.

You may want to check that. I don't they're all interchangeable. In
fact, I'm pretty sure they're not. But I also don't know which fit
which.

-----------------------------
Recently, I talked briefly to a guy at Home Depot demonstrating a Dremel
oscillating tool. According to him, their accessories fit the Fein
oscillating tool, but the reverse is not true. Don't know about the rest.

That good to know... $8.00 for the Dremel blade vs. x $20.00 for Fein.

Fein has a $20 blade???

Actually $18.90.

http://www.amazon.com/Fein-635021510.../dp/B00063RSJC

The last time I bought one locally I paid around $52. I think now that
they've got competition the prices are coming down.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

Since the Fein patent expired late last year, others have duplicated
the tool. Harbor Freight, Dremel, Bosch, and others make a
replacement tool - and all the blades between manufacturers are
interchangable.

That is not true. Some of the blades are 1 way interchangeable. You
cannot mount all Fein blades on the Dremel.

I'll bet I could... Eventually.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default UPDATE

HeyBub wrote:
Wow! Pretty impressive. What's the generic term for this type of
tool, in case I can't get to a Harbor Freight (forget Fein! .
Thanks.

Dunno. A "Multi(something)" I guess.

You'll get to HF - or have them get to you. The Dremel rendition is
about $100, the Bosch and Rockwell varieties slightly more.

Most recent flyer from Harbor Freight has the "Multifunction Power Tool" for
$39.99.

Blades:
Diamond cutter or 3 Blade set - $5.99
Half-moon cutter blade - $5.99

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 6, 8:41*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
Wow! *Pretty impressive. *What's the generic term for this type of
tool, in case I can't get to a Harbor Freight (forget Fein! .
Thanks.

Dunno. A "Multi(something)" I guess.

You'll get to HF - or have them get to you. The Dremel rendition is
about $100, the Bosch and Rockwell varieties slightly more.

Most recent flyer from Harbor Freight has the "Multifunction Power Tool" for
$39.99.

Blades:
Diamond cutter or 3 Blade set - $5.99
Half-moon cutter blade - $5.99

And those fit Feins?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Mar 6, 8:41 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
Wow! Pretty impressive. What's the generic term for this type of
tool, in case I can't get to a Harbor Freight (forget Fein! .
Thanks.

Dunno. A "Multi(something)" I guess.

You'll get to HF - or have them get to you. The Dremel rendition is
about $100, the Bosch and Rockwell varieties slightly more.

Most recent flyer from Harbor Freight has the "Multifunction Power Tool"
for
$39.99.

Blades:
Diamond cutter or 3 Blade set - $5.99
Half-moon cutter blade - $5.99

And those fit Feins?

The sand paper does not fit the Fein Holder. Apparently the wrong type hook
and loop, they stick but not tightly and they are also larger than the OEM
Fein.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
And those fit Feins?

From the Dremel website:
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,41241,41267
A: The Dremel Multi-Max tool only uses Dremel accessories. Dremel Multi-Max
accessories are compatible with Fein Multimaster model 636 and Bosch Multi-X
model PS-50.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in message

"Robatoy" wrote in message
And those fit Feins?

From the Dremel website:
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,41241,41267
A: The Dremel Multi-Max tool only uses Dremel accessories. Dremel
Multi-Max
accessories are compatible with Fein Multimaster model 636 and Bosch
Multi-X
model PS-50.

Now that was funny!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

: "Andrew Barss" wrote in message
: ...
:
:
: Second the recommendation of the jig saw. Also, the blades you use make
: an enormous
: difference. I've been vry impressed with Bosch's new line of Xtra Clean
: For Wood blades
: (T308B). Here's a review:
:
: http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/...63fb9a3f4.aspx

: I have seen these blades, have you used Bosh blades in the past? Do these
: cut cleaner than the older Bosch styles? I only use Bosch blades and pretty
: much get a burnished smooth surface on hard woods using the regular Bosch
: blades, fine cut, with a Milwaukee jig saw. I get a "little" tear out on
: the top side when cross cutting Oak veneer plywood.

My impression is that they do cut cleaner, although I haven't used them enough
in a direct comparison to be 100% sure. I've used the new ones mostly in pine
(my son's a cub scout, and I was doing the cuting for the boys in a pack meeting
last week). The new blades leave a finish that's smoother than a Timberwolf
blade on my 14" bandsaw, with essentially no tearout (I was expecting the
pine to tear out on the top). The different may be more apprent with softwoods and plywood
than with hardwood.

-- Andy
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009 09:40:04 -0800 (PST), Robatoy
wrote:

On Mar 5, 11:07*am, notbob wrote:
[...]

....I fell into that trap a few years ago...there it sits: Yard Sale
fodder...

cg
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

My impression is that they do cut cleaner, although I haven't used them
enough
in a direct comparison to be 100% sure. I've used the new ones mostly in
pine
(my son's a cub scout, and I was doing the cuting for the boys in a pack
meeting
last week). The new blades leave a finish that's smoother than a
Timberwolf
blade on my 14" bandsaw, with essentially no tearout (I was expecting the
pine to tear out on the top). The different may be more apprent with
softwoods and plywood
than with hardwood.

-- Andy

Thanks, I'll have to try a pack next time I buy blades.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009 11:27:14 -0800 (PST), Robatoy
wrote:

On Mar 5, 12:46*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

Since the Fein patent expired late last year, others have duplicated the
tool. Harbor Freight, Dremel, Bosch, and others make a replacement tool -
and all the blades between manufacturers are interchangable.

You may want to check that. I don't they're all interchangeable. In
fact, I'm pretty sure they're not. But I also don't know which fit
which.

....boy, I've had a Fein tool for quite awhile now, and LOVE the way it
functions...I use it mainly for hard to cut things like base or crown
that needs a trim for a cabinet installation; non-invasive and
accurate. That said, I would be elated if I didn't have to pay Fein
prices for *that* blade...looks like a job for Supergoogler!

cg

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Mar 5, 12:46 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

Since the Fein patent expired late last year, others have
duplicated the tool. Harbor Freight, Dremel, Bosch, and others make
a replacement tool - and all the blades between manufacturers are
interchangable.

You may want to check that. I don't they're all interchangeable. In
fact, I'm pretty sure they're not. But I also don't know which fit
which.

...boy, I've had a Fein tool for quite awhile now, and LOVE the way it
functions...I use it mainly for hard to cut things like base or crown
that needs a trim for a cabinet installation; non-invasive and
accurate. That said, I would be elated if I didn't have to pay Fein
prices for *that* blade...looks like a job for Supergoogler!

Toss the Fein in the dumpster, get the HF equivalent, and you can use
everybody's blades (or darned near everybody's). Using cheap blades, you'll
find that there are even MORE jobs to which you can apply the tool (toenail
trimming, pet grooming, weed-whacking, fish scaling, emergency amputations,
sidewalk chewing-gum removal, opening turtles, etc.).

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Mar 5, 12:46 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

[...]

....hahaha, maybe, but I'm gonna find out if those blades will fit mine
first!

cg

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Mar 5, 12:46 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

[...]

MORE INFO

Looking on Ebay, the SECCO tool says their tool will not accept Fein blades,
BUT they sell an adaptor to allow the use of Fein blades. SECCO blades,
WILL, however, fit a Fein tool.

Here's the item, current bid, with shipping, is about $70.00.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SECCO-916-with-F...3A1%7C294%3A50

Ebay also has oodles of cheaper blades. And other things. For example,
here's a guy selling a Fein "sander," which is really a Fein Multimaster,
for less than $60.00.
http://cgi.ebay.com/FEIN-SANDER-TYPE...3A1%7C294%3A50

I can't look anymore... it's all too tempting.

Aside:
You can find all kinds of **** on Ebay. This past week I called a wallpaper
store and attempted to buy a mural for $105. We don't have a company credit
card and they wouldn't take a company check. Found the same mural (actually
four of the same by different sellers) on Ebay and bought the mural for $40,
including shipping.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sanding (was Spiral vs Jig saw)

On 2009-03-07, HeyBub wrote:

Looking on Ebay, the SECCO tool says their tool will.....

Not to interrupt your drift, as it's all informative, but as an FYI I've
already bought a dewalt jigsaw. So, to support your drift, how good is the
sanding abilities of these multi-tools? TIA

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

news
On 2009-03-07, HeyBub wrote:

Looking on Ebay, the SECCO tool says their tool will.....

Not to interrupt your drift, as it's all informative, but as an FYI I've
already bought a dewalt jigsaw. So, to support your drift, how good is
the
sanding abilities of these multi-tools? TIA

nb

They work well in small and or confined areas. They do not replace or even
compare to a regular full sized sander.

Spiral Pens Joseph Durham Woodworking 1 September 13th 06 07:23 PM
Up spiral.. Down spiral.. What the heck? Jim Hall Woodworking 6 September 6th 06 01:59 PM
Spiral turning [email protected] Woodturning 22 January 11th 06 11:13 PM
cutting a spiral jo4hn Woodworking 0 November 14th 05 02:50 AM
Spiral cutting Prometheus Woodturning 10 January 5th 05 03:32 AM