Posted to rec.woodworking
Andrew Barss Andrew Barss is offline

Default Spiral vs Jig saw

Leon wrote:

: "Andrew Barss" wrote in message
: ...
:
: Second the recommendation of the jig saw. Also, the blades you use make
: an enormous
: difference. I've been vry impressed with Bosch's new line of Xtra Clean
: For Wood blades
: (T308B). Here's a review:
:
: http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/...63fb9a3f4.aspx

: I have seen these blades, have you used Bosh blades in the past? Do these
: cut cleaner than the older Bosch styles? I only use Bosch blades and pretty
: much get a burnished smooth surface on hard woods using the regular Bosch
: blades, fine cut, with a Milwaukee jig saw. I get a "little" tear out on
: the top side when cross cutting Oak veneer plywood.

My impression is that they do cut cleaner, although I haven't used them enough
in a direct comparison to be 100% sure. I've used the new ones mostly in pine
(my son's a cub scout, and I was doing the cuting for the boys in a pack meeting
last week). The new blades leave a finish that's smoother than a Timberwolf
blade on my 14" bandsaw, with essentially no tearout (I was expecting the
pine to tear out on the top). The different may be more apprent with softwoods and plywood
than with hardwood.

-- Andy