Posted to rec.woodworking
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Spiral vs Jig saw

notbob wrote:
I'm new here, so do not know the group rules. I'm also pretty new to
DIY homeowner stuff. I need to install some handicap bars and step
rails and refurbish a badly weathered deck. I'm not without some
experience, having worked as a novice carpenter decades ago. I have
most carpenter hand tools and a couple circular saws.

I need to do some work that once would have been the domain of the
jig saw, a tool I'm familiar with, but these new roto-zip saws
intrigue me. I need to notch some step boards on the deck and cut
out a section of some 1-1/8" thk verniered particle board. Should I
go with the older jig saw or would I be better served, in the long
run, by the newer spiral saw technology, assuming I can't afford both
tools. Thank you.

Consider the Harbor Freight Multifunction tool

It's identical in function to the Fein Multimaster (but about $250 cheaper).
Here's what the Fein (and HF) tool can do. Watch this video for the notching
project you have.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nynD2SfyINU

Since the Fein patent expired late last year, others have duplicated the
tool. Harbor Freight, Dremel, Bosch, and others make a replacement tool -
and all the blades between manufacturers are interchangable.