Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] dalemartindesigns@yahoo.com is offline

Default Spiral vs Jig saw

On Mar 5, 10:09*am, "
wrote:
On Mar 5, 11:46*am, "HeyBub" wrote:

Since the Fein patent expired late last year, others have duplicated the
tool. Harbor Freight, Dremel, Bosch, and others make a replacement tool -
and all the blades between manufacturers are interchangable.

I FINALLY talked to someone that used the Rockwell Sonicrafter. *He
loves it.

He is the manager of a local lumber yard, and they sell the full line
of the Rockwell branded tools. *He does a lot of general stuff, but
doesn't use his tools full time.

He told me that his BIL has one these things (bought from him of
course!) and he does a lot of contract repair work. *He loves the
machine and it has a permanent place in the truck.

I asked him about the overall view of the Rockwell brand. *He says
that in a year or so, they haven't had but one tool come back because
of a defect (battery). *According to him, the contractors he sells the
tools to think that the tools are solid and well priced.

He admitted the sales were slow, but attributed that to the fact that
little advertisement is done outside trade mags or the normal wood/DIY
mags. *The public doesn't have much awareness of the revamped brand.

On another note, I received a DeWalt rotary tool for Christmas about 5
years ago. *I used it one day... I have no idea what to do with it.
Since LOML gave it to me, I cannot sell or trade it.
\
You would think doing all the repairs and remodel stuff I do it would
be invaluable, but the only time I used it was when I was setting some
tile myself and wanted to cut some holes in the tile. *I would stay
away from a rotary unless you have identified a task that only that
tool can perform.

Robert

I bought a Roto-Zip type tool thinking I would use it for all kinds of
home remodeling jobs but as others have stated it doesn't do all that
much very well. What I did find it useful for was cutting holes in a
lath and plaster ceiling to install recessed light cans. I burned up a
couple of carbide bits and made all kinds of dust but didn't have a
lot of patching to do (house built in 1938). It also does a decent job
on ceramic tile with a carbide bit for enlarging holes and trimming
odd shapes and of course cutting out holes in drywall with the proper
bit. My personal experience is that it doesn't cut through wood
thicker than say 1/4". I would choose a jigsaw or Sawzall-type saw as
being more useful. I don't have any experience with the Fein-type
multitasker though they look intriguing.

Dale