Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Spiral vs Jig saw

"notbob" wrote in message
I'm new here, so do not know the group rules. I'm also pretty new to DIY
homeowner stuff. I need to install some handicap bars and step rails and
refurbish a badly weathered deck. I'm not without some experience, having
worked as a novice carpenter decades ago. I have most carpenter hand
tools
and a couple circular saws.

I need to do some work that once would have been the domain of the jig
saw,
a tool I'm familiar with, but these new roto-zip saws intrigue me. I need
to notch some step boards on the deck and cut out a section of some 1-1/8"
thk verniered particle board. Should I go with the older jig saw or would
be better served, in the long run, by the newer spiral saw technology,
assuming I can't afford both tools. Thank you.

nb

The Rotozip was originally developed to cut sheet rock/dry wall cut outs.
It has been marketed as a do it all tool but in all seriousness it does not
perform well on any material harder than sheetrock/ or drywall.

A jig saw would be a better choice and will work on a variety of harder
materials than sheetrock. Consider also a Fein Multimaster. These
particular is expensive however there are 3 or 4 "clones" out there that are
much more reasonable in price. IIRC Bosch, Dremel, and Harbor Freight make
their own versions.