Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Granite countertops. Radioactive?

Interesting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/ga...pagewanted=all
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 24, 3:06*pm, "Upscale" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/ga...?no_interstiti...

Show the article to enough people and they might end up paying you to remove
their $5000 granite counter tops and replace them with something else.
Sounds like a money making proposition to me.

Funny you should say that. I have a clown near here, who sells
absolute crap granite counters and quotes prices less than my solid
surface. No warranty, very shabby installation and a lot of unhappy
customers. This will just give me another tool to stave off the influx
of garbage.
People tend to think that granite is granite...not so. Not even close.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Upscale wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/ga...pagewanted=all

Show the article to enough people and they might end up paying you to remove
their $5000 granite counter tops and replace them with something else.
Sounds like a money making proposition to me.

My advice to those people who think that they will get cancer from their
granite counter tops is to stay as far away from other people as they
can. Elements in the human body are also radioactive. In fact one of the
key elements needed to keep the human or any animal hear pumping is
radioactive.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" showed us this link,,,

Interesting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/ga...pagewanted=all

Maybe you could offer a "free countertop radiation evaluation" service.

Make some ad showing you holding a geiger counter wearing some kinda geeky
uniform.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" complained about a low ball competitor in his hood.

Reminds me of a time in my life when I did a lot of business with auto
dealership owners.

I always approached them the same way.

"Sir, are classic rolls are reversed."

"This time you are buying and I am selling."

"When conducting business dealings, I always remember that you can not
**** an honest man."

"How do you want to do business?"

Everyone of them understood.

Some of the best customers I ever had.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/ga...?no_interstiti...

Show the article to enough people and they might end up paying you to remove
their $5000 granite counter tops and replace them with something else.
Sounds like a money making proposition to me.

Yep. Put on a Tyvek suit and a PAPR and charge $350 for the 15 minute
Hazardous Material Removal Consultation.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/ga...?no_interstiti...

Show the article to enough people and they might end up paying you to remove
their $5000 granite counter tops and replace them with something else.
Sounds like a money making proposition to me.

Yep. Put on a Tyvek suit and a PAPR and charge $350 for the 15 minute
Hazardous Material Removal Consultation.

Or they can get a $400 discount on some new quartz or Corian counter
tops.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/ga...?no_interstiti....

Show the article to enough people and they might end up paying you to remove
their $5000 granite counter tops and replace them with something else..
Sounds like a money making proposition to me.

Yep. *Put on a Tyvek suit and a PAPR and charge $350 for the 15 minute
Hazardous Material Removal Consultation.

Or they can get a $400 discount on some new quartz or Corian counter
tops.

Discount? With the radioactivity frying your waist level equipment
every time you use the sink or get a dish? No way! There's not even
time to get a second estimate.

"I'd recommend that it be removed ASAP. I could get the guys in here
tonight. Ted's got his daughter's wedding this weekend, but this is
more important and I know he'll come. You'll have to stay in a motel
for a week while we cordon off the property and erect the containment
fencing."

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 10:23:12 -0700, Robatoy wrote:

Interesting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/ga...4granite.html?

no_interstitial=&pagewanted=all

The main railway station in Edinburgh (that's in Scotland), Waverley
Station, is built into solid granite. I was told once that if a nuclear
plant had the same ambient radioactivity (or whatever they call it) the
plant would be evacuated and shut down for a very loooong time :-)

Granite is, apparently, a naturally radioactive mineral.

--
Liverpool. European City Of Culture 2008
http://www.liverpool08.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 11:10:35 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

Funny you should say that. I have a clown near here, who sells
absolute crap granite counters and quotes prices less than my solid
surface. No warranty, very shabby installation and a lot of unhappy
customers. This will just give me another tool to stave off the influx
of garbage.
People tend to think that granite is granite...not so. Not even close.

You should consider your self fortunate.

I have Lou Irion as a competitor.

What's my marketing plan?

Regards, Tom.

Thos. J. Watson - Cabinetmaker
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet
Posted to rec.woodworking

I think too many people just take it for granite.
besides it more than likely only causes cancer in california.
ross

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 24, 8:29*pm, (Ross Hebeisen) wrote:
I think too many people just take it for granite.

ouch
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Robatoy wrote in
:

Interesting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/ga...o_interstitial
=&pagewanted=all

I believe the main radioactive component in granite is a uranium-containing
mineral. Uranium is radioactive, but emits only alpha particles, ie helium
nuclei. Their energy is very low, and will not even penetrate the topmost
layer of skin, which is already dead tissue. It is likely that table salt
is more dangerous.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 24, 2:41 pm, "David G. Nagel"
wrote:
Upscale wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/ga...?no_interstiti...

Show the article to enough people and they might end up paying you to remove
their $5000 granite counter tops and replace them with something else.
Sounds like a money making proposition to me.

My advice to those people who think that they will get cancer from their
granite counter tops is to stay as far away from other people as they
can. Elements in the human body are also radioactive. In fact one of the
key elements needed to keep the human or any animal hear pumping is
radioactive.

That's probably potassium. IIRC the largest internal contributor
to a typical person's radiation dosage, is from K-40 in the body.
Carbon, (C-14 and C-13) comes in second.

Of course you would get along fine with only Phosphorus - 31
and C-12, isotopes are chemically identical.

Uranium is an alpha-emitter, and alphas don't get very far, not
even in air, and usually will not penetrate through clothing or
even the layer of naturally dead and dying skin sells on the surface
of one's skin. Radon is also an alpha emitter, but because it is
a gas it can be inhaled end emit the gamma inside of the lungs
where live tissue is exposed.

Because it is naturally present in granite, the granite will also
have all of the Uranium decay daughters and some of those
are gamma and beta emitters. Granites also contains
potassium-40.

That said, the figures in the articles showed that _some_ granites
are a lot hotter than others and probably should be avoided.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
Interesting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/ga...pagewanted=all

I think that if you check many of stones and concretes are to some
degree radio active, and as said before would fail the criteria for a
nuclear power plant.

This is one reason why we should reevaluate government regulation to
make it easier to build nuclear power plants. Nuclear energy is the one
and only clean energy. A nuclear plant can be built on a finite
amount of land. The energy output can be double or tripled in the same
space. (Based on the original design of the Shearon Harris plant.)

Forgetting the obvious benefits of a clean cheap energy source of
energy, the facilities can provide large of lakes and recreational
facilities. (Again the Shearon Harris plant as an example)

Based on the windmill farm in southern California, it takes about 8
acres ground for one windmill-- more energy, more windmills, and more
acres are cleared and many access roads built to service the windmill
farm. These acres can be used only for windmills because of the
revolving blades.

Corn is similar, I believe it takes about 25 acre per year to make one
tank truck of alcohol (4000 gallons). Believe it or not there is a
limited amount of farmable land available in the world. Do the math.

Acres farmland available = Acres for energy corn production + acres for
food production (animal and human) One goes up the other goes down.

Alcohol is not an viable fuel source. People don't do much in the acres
used to grow corn.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Keith nuttle" wrote in message
Robatoy wrote:
Interesting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/ga...pagewanted=all

I think that if you check many of stones and concretes are to some degree
radio active, and as said before would fail the criteria for a nuclear
power plant.

This is one reason why we should reevaluate government regulation to make
it easier to build nuclear power plants. Nuclear energy is the one and
only clean energy. A nuclear plant can be built on a finite amount of
land. The energy output can be double or tripled in the same space.
(Based on the original design of the Shearon Harris plant.)

Forgetting the obvious benefits of a clean cheap energy source of energy,
the facilities can provide large of lakes and recreational facilities.
(Again the Shearon Harris plant as an example)

Isn't one of the problems with that design the "lake"or cooling pond? If I
remember right the water in the pond is "hot" when compared to other bodies
of water in the area. This could lead to such enviormental disasters as:
ducks not wanting to fly south in the winter, open water fishing in winter,
larger fish then in other bodies of water. When there was a proposed plant
being built near Louisville Ky the tree huggers were saying that the river
temp would be 5 to 10 degrees higher then normal in the Ohio river. They
were right the water at the plant was supposed to be up to 5 degrees higher
then normal but by the time it hit Louisville 30 miles down stream it would
be 2 degrees or less higher then normal, according to the engineers. The
plant was never finished, converted to a coal fired plant and then never
finished or used.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Did you know, that swallowing small amounts of saliva, over a long period
of time, causes cancer?"
George Carlin

That's about where I classify this sort of thing. If they tested every
square inch of our little worlds we would find that there is no place safe.
Those that are turned to jelly from something like this will find some other
benign element else to kill them eventually - wind or rain or sun - oh yea -
they already blamed those.

K.

"Robatoy" wrote in message
Interesting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/ga...pagewanted=all

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 25, 9:12*am, "Kate" wrote:
"Did you know, that swallowing small amounts of saliva, over a long period
of time, causes cancer?"
George Carlin

That's about where I classify this sort of thing. If they tested every
square inch of our little worlds we would find that there is no place safe.
Those that are turned to jelly from something like this will find some other
benign element else to kill them eventually - wind or rain or sun - oh yea -
they already blamed those.

K.

Looking at bacon under a microscope, running with scissors, yup, all
fall in that category.
I think that the interesting part was that there is a lot of
difference between origin and grades of granite.
Some of it, quite 'hot' compared to those levels allowed at nuclear
plants. (My oldest daughter is an operator at a 3500MW generating
station and she has shared some of knowledge her about 'safe' levels
of different radiations.)

But.... if you have a choice between NO emissions or 'some' emissions
from a countertop, it is my duty to inform the client.
The same way as I do when I strongly suggest the use of an acrylic
based product over a polyester based countertop.

At the same time, I don't think that the owners of granite are going
to give birth to three-headed lizards.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote

Looking at bacon under a microscope, running with scissors, yup, all
fall in that category.
I think that the interesting part was that there is a lot of
difference between origin and grades of granite.
Some of it, quite 'hot' compared to those levels allowed at nuclear
plants. (My oldest daughter is an operator at a 3500MW generating
station and she has shared some of knowledge her about 'safe' levels
of different radiations.)

But.... if you have a choice between NO emissions or 'some' emissions
from a countertop, it is my duty to inform the client.
The same way as I do when I strongly suggest the use of an acrylic
based product over a polyester based countertop.

At the same time, I don't think that the owners of granite are going
to give birth to three-headed lizards.

It was very interesting to say the least. Good information and I learned
something this morning.
It was particularly interesting since I have the granite out in my garage
all set to go into the kitchen in the next couple of weeks.
Luckily, I am way too old to be birthin' any more little lizards ;¬D

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
Interesting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/ga...pagewanted=all

While we are on the subject of dangerious substances consider:

DIHYDROGEN MONOOXIDE: The vapor can cause sever burns, the condensate if
breathed can cause death by drowning and the solid form can freeze body
tissue leading to loss of that tissue.

BTW: DIHYDROGEN MONOOXIDE IS: H2O
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 14:06:47 -0500, "Upscale" wrote:

"Robatoy" wrote in message

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/ga...pagewanted=all

Show the article to enough people and they might end up paying you to remove
their $5000 granite counter tops and replace them with something else.
Sounds like a money making proposition to me.

Sounds like a great way to get a good deal on a slightly used Steel City TS..
I LIKE IT!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
Interesting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/ga...pagewanted=all

While we are on the subject of dangerious substances consider:

DIHYDROGEN MONOOXIDE: The vapor can cause sever burns, the
condensate
if
breathed can cause death by drowning and the solid form can freeze
body
tissue leading to loss of that tissue.

Also one of the components is a highly toxic gas that causes
convulsions at 1.6 bar pressure, leading to death if not promptly
treated.

BTW: DIHYDROGEN MONOOXIDE IS: H2O

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Kate" wrote in message
It was particularly interesting since I have the granite out in my garage
all set to go into the kitchen in the next couple of weeks.
Luckily, I am way too old to be birthin' any more little lizards ;¬D

Well, if you do, I'm guessing the first thing done about it will be the
disposing of the granite countertop.

Posted to rec.woodworking
hex hex is offline

On Jul 24, 3:23*pm, Aardvark wrote:
On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 10:23:12 -0700, Robatoy wrote:
Interesting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/ga...4granite.html?

no_interstitial=&pagewanted=all

The main railway station in Edinburgh (that's in Scotland), Waverley
Station, is built into solid granite. I was told once that if a nuclear
plant had the same ambient radioactivity (or whatever they call it) the
plant would be evacuated and shut down for a very loooong time :-)

Granite is, apparently, a naturally radioactive mineral.

--
Liverpool. European City Of Culture 2008http://www.liverpool08.com

Not all granite is hot. Scottish granite is known to be. One of the
most radioactive buildings in all of Britain is the Marischal College
at University of Aberdeen ( second or third largest granite building
on the planet). As I recall G.P. Thompson (JJ Thompson's son) did
some of the early quantum mechanical experiements on electrons there.

And back to the original topic: which is more carcinogenic -- the
radon coming out of granite or the nasty chemical binders in solid
surface or quartz chip like silestone?

hex
-30-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 25, 2:48*pm, hex wrote:

And back to the original topic: *which is more carcinogenic -- the
radon coming out of granite or the nasty chemical binders in solid
surface or quartz chip like silestone?

Which nasty chemical binders?
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"Kate" wrote in
:

"Robatoy" wrote

[...]

Well, I got a copy of a newspaper, the Onion, dated July 24, which
announced "Queen Elizabeth II announces she's pregnant again"

Oh well, it's the Onion ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom,

You should consider your self fortunate.

I have Lou Irion as a competitor.

More Detail....

David.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 25, 6:48 pm, hex wrote:
On Jul 24, 3:23 pm, Aardvark wrote:

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 10:23:12 -0700, Robatoy wrote:
Interesting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/ga...4granite.html?

no_interstitial=&pagewanted=all

The main railway station in Edinburgh (that's in Scotland), Waverley
Station, is built into solid granite. I was told once that if a nuclear
plant had the same ambient radioactivity (or whatever they call it) the
plant would be evacuated and shut down for a very loooong time :-)

Granite is, apparently, a naturally radioactive mineral.

--
Liverpool. European City Of Culture 2008http://www.liverpool08.com

Not all granite is hot.

Yes.

All granite is radioactive.

The activity varies, a lot. Most granites are somewhat hotter than
most sedimentary stone, but the sedimentary stone at the Okla
mine is probably hotter than any granite.

And back to the original topic: which is more carcinogenic -- the
radon coming out of granite or the nasty chemical binders in solid
surface or quartz chip like silestone?

It depends of course.

It's the dose that makes a poison.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in message

"Kate" wrote in message
It was particularly interesting since I have the granite out in my garage
all set to go into the kitchen in the next couple of weeks.
Luckily, I am way too old to be birthin' any more little lizards ;¬D

Well, if you do, I'm guessing the first thing done about it will be the
disposing of the granite countertop.

LMAO... well... maybe lizard soup instead ;¬D

K.

Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/ga...interstitial=&
pagewanted=all While we are on the subject of dangerious substances
consider:

DIHYDROGEN MONOOXIDE: The vapor can cause sever burns, the condensate
if breathed can cause death by drowning and the solid form can freeze
body tissue leading to loss of that tissue.

Also one of the components is a highly toxic gas that causes convulsions
at 1.6 bar pressure, leading to death if not promptly treated.

Also severe lung injury if breathed for longer than about 20 mins
continuously at lower pressures

BTW: DIHYDROGEN MONOOXIDE IS: H2O

-- replace spamblock with my family name to e-mail me Pics at
http://www.meekings.net/diving/index.shtml and
http://www.meekings.net/photo-groups/nui/index.shtml
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 26, 2:42 am, (Jerome Meekings)
wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/ga...?no_interstiti...
pagewanted=all While we are on the subject of dangerious substances
consider:

DIHYDROGEN MONOOXIDE: The vapor can cause sever burns, the condensate
if breathed can cause death by drowning and the solid form can freeze
body tissue leading to loss of that tissue.

Also one of the components is a highly toxic gas that causes convulsions
at 1.6 bar pressure, leading to death if not promptly treated.

Also severe lung injury if breathed for longer than about 20 mins
continuously at lower pressures

Exposure to the pure gas at a pressure of one bar it will cause third
degree burns within seconds. You definitely won;t last 20 minutes.

BTW: DIHYDROGEN MONOOXIDE IS: H2O

And "HHO" gas is actually a misspelling of 2H2 + O2, also called
Brown's gas.

--

FF
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 24, 1:23 pm, Robatoy wrote:
Interesting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/ga...?no_interstiti...

http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/epa...rcutting-junk/

Assuming that teh EPA and FOX are accurately reporting the
University of Akron and Consumer Reports results, and they
tested the same granites that were reported on the in NY article,
the radon levels in Dr. Sugarman’s kitchen were incorrectly
measured or reported, due to a different source, or her kitchen
was extraordinarily poorly vented.

But with at least 900 kinds of granite from 63 countries being
available
in the US, I expect U of A and CR didn't test them all just yet.

--

FF
Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/epa...ountertops-pos...

Assuming that teh EPA and FOX are accurately reporting *the
University of Akron and Consumer Reports results, and they
tested the same granites that were reported on the in NY article,
the radon levels in Dr. Sugarman’s kitchen were incorrectly
measured or reported, due to a different source, or her kitchen
was extraordinarily poorly vented.

But with at least 900 kinds of granite from 63 countries being
available
in the US, I expect U of A and CR didn't test them all just yet.

--

FF

At some level, I'm sure that anything we dig up has some radiation,
'cept granma maybe.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 26, 3:12*pm, Han wrote:
Robatoy wrote in news:49bf588d-fe2b-4be0-9806-
:

At some level, I'm sure that anything we dig up has some radiation,
'cept granma maybe.

I expect that anyone who was alive during the 50's and early 60's is more
radioactive than someone who died before 1945 or was born after 196whatever
when the test ban treaty went into effect (Google it yourself).

BTW, the fact that the granite under New York is of a type containing
rather more radioactivity shold not deter you from subsidizing the subway
mode of rapid transit.

NYC Subway works rather well, even for an outsider. It seems like the
only choice of getting in and out of Manhattan as parking fees are
just insane.

Interesting observation about subway technology. In Montreal, they run
on rubber tires, in Toronto, on regular railroad-style wheels.
Toronto's are quieter. (From an NRC Canada research finding, something
I discovered during my research there.)

I am a huge proponent of hub & spoke subterranean people movers.
Attach a subway system to a nuclear power plant, and Bob's your uncle.
(Unless you get those horribly out-dated union attitudes in there,
then we're all screwed.)
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Robatoy wrote in
:

On Jul 26, 3:12*pm, Han wrote:
[...]

Not sure I understand exaactly what you mean with hub and spoke.
Everywhere outside to just 1 center goes only so far. Both NY and Paris
have what I would consider better systems than that, in that the
"center" load is spread out.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Robatoy wrote in
:

NYC Subway works rather well, even for an outsider. It seems like the
only choice of getting in and out of Manhattan as parking fees are
just insane.

Yes, I drove in to Manhattan for a while (~30 years ago), but the wear and
tear on the system is just too much, even apart from the costs.

Interesting observation about subway technology. In Montreal, they run
on rubber tires, in Toronto, on regular railroad-style wheels.
Toronto's are quieter. (From an NRC Canada research finding, something
I discovered during my research there.)

The Paris rubber lines do seem quieter than the other lines, but I think
that track and equipment tolerances and upkeep are much more important to
perceived sound levels.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 26, 4:38*pm, Han wrote:
Robatoy wrote :

On Jul 26, 3:12*pm, Han wrote:
[...]

Hub & Spoke is where major lines cris-cross at several different
places. Not in the Purolator model, where is just one hub... I should
have said hubS and Spokes. IOW, to be able to change trains at many
locations...or stay on to your destination. For instance, you can (in
Toronto) get to Bloor & Yonge from Union Station in more ways than one.

Granite Countertops Bakpain Home Repair 2 February 27th 06 02:32 AM
Granite Countertops Ajax Home Repair 0 February 22nd 06 04:28 PM
Granite Countertops Don Phillipson Home Repair 0 February 22nd 06 01:40 AM
Granite Countertops Steve B Home Repair 0 February 22nd 06 12:29 AM
Granite countertops Joe Home Repair 8 November 17th 05 03:18 AM