Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Granite countertops. Radioactive?

On Jul 25, 9:12*am, "Kate" wrote:
"Did you know, that swallowing small amounts of saliva, over a long period
of time, causes cancer?"
George Carlin

That's about where I classify this sort of thing. If they tested every
square inch of our little worlds we would find that there is no place safe.
Those that are turned to jelly from something like this will find some other
benign element else to kill them eventually - wind or rain or sun - oh yea -
they already blamed those.

K.

Looking at bacon under a microscope, running with scissors, yup, all
fall in that category.
I think that the interesting part was that there is a lot of
difference between origin and grades of granite.
Some of it, quite 'hot' compared to those levels allowed at nuclear
plants. (My oldest daughter is an operator at a 3500MW generating
station and she has shared some of knowledge her about 'safe' levels
of different radiations.)

But.... if you have a choice between NO emissions or 'some' emissions
from a countertop, it is my duty to inform the client.
The same way as I do when I strongly suggest the use of an acrylic
based product over a polyester based countertop.

At the same time, I don't think that the owners of granite are going
to give birth to three-headed lizards.