Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default Granite countertops. Radioactive?

Robatoy wrote in
:

On Jul 26, 4:38*pm, Han wrote:
Robatoy wrote
innews:6bb1d9d6-d7ce-4081-ab09-0f

:

On Jul 26, 3:12*pm, Han wrote:
Robatoy wrote in
:

At some level, I'm sure that anything we dig up has some
radiation, 'cept granma maybe.

I expect that anyone who was alive during the 50's and early 60's
is more radioactive than someone who died before 1945 or was born
after 196whatev
er
when the test ban treaty went into effect (Google it yourself).

BTW, the fact that the granite under New York is of a type
containing rather more radioactivity shold not deter you from
subsidizing the subway mode of rapid transit.

NYC Subway works rather well, even for an outsider. It seems like
the only choice of getting in and out of Manhattan as parking fees
are just insane.

Interesting observation about subway technology. In Montreal, they
run on rubber tires, in Toronto, on regular railroad-style wheels.
Toronto's are quieter. (From an NRC Canada research finding,
something I discovered during my research there.)

I am a huge proponent of hub & spoke subterranean people movers.
Attach a subway system to a nuclear power plant, and Bob's your
uncle. (Unless you get those horribly out-dated union attitudes in
there, then we're all screwed.)

Not sure I understand exaactly what you mean with hub and spoke. *
Everywhere outside to just 1 center goes only so far. *Both NY and
Pari

have what I would consider better systems than that, in that the
"center" load is spread out.

--
Best regards
Han

Hub & Spoke is where major lines cris-cross at several different
places. Not in the Purolator model, where is just one hub... I should
have said hubS and Spokes. IOW, to be able to change trains at many
locations...or stay on to your destination. For instance, you can (in
Toronto) get to Bloor & Yonge from Union Station in more ways than
one.

Ok, that's more like Boston then, or vice versa. I have been in Toronto
only once, and that was many, many years ago.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 26, 4:01 pm, Robatoy wrote:
On Jul 26, 11:57 am, Fred the Red Shirt
wrote:

On Jul 24, 1:23 pm, Robatoy wrote:

Interesting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/ga...?no_interstiti....

http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/epa...ountertops-pos...

Assuming that teh EPA and FOX are accurately reporting the
University of Akron and Consumer Reports results, and they
tested the same granites that were reported on the in NY article,
the radon levels in Dr. Sugarman’s kitchen were incorrectly
measured or reported, due to a different source, or her kitchen
was extraordinarily poorly vented.

But with at least 900 kinds of granite from 63 countries being
available
in the US, I expect U of A and CR didn't test them all just yet.

At some level, I'm sure that anything we dig up has some radiation,
'cept granma maybe.

Of course. Gamma too. Some much more than others

http://rpd.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/ncm327v2
http://www.uic.com.au/nip25.htm

It's the dose that makes a poison.

--

FF
Posted to rec.woodworking

wonder how much radioactivity one would find on a stole though the
cemetery
ross

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ross Hebeisen wrote:
wonder how much radioactivity one would find on a stole though the
cemetery
ross

Depends upon the time of day. About noon the solar radiation is at its
max. At midnight look out for the ghosts.

Posted to rec.woodworking

maybe thats why they
glow in the dark
ross

Posted to rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

Or they can get a $400 discount on some new quartz or Corian counter
tops.

Since granite is mostly quartz wouldn't synthetic material made with quartz
have most of the same problems?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"EXT" wrote in
anews.com:

Or they can get a $400 discount on some new quartz or Corian counter
tops.

Since granite is mostly quartz wouldn't synthetic material made with
quartz have most of the same problems?

That would be logical. If indeed Silestone is made with quartz, I'd have
to bring our Geiger counter and measure. It could "see" my daughter from
50 yards away (and inside her house) when she was treated with radioactive
iodine for her Graves' disease. ANd the treatment did indeed cure that.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 27, 9:34 am, "EXT" wrote:
Or they can get a $400 discount on some new quartz or Corian counter
tops.

Since granite is mostly quartz wouldn't synthetic material made with quartz
have most of the same problems?

No, because it is the trace minerals in the granite, like Uranium and
its decay daughters, or potassium-40 that contribute most of the
activity.

Pure quartz would have none of those. Pure quartz is silicon
dioxide,
the natural isotopes of both of those elements are all stable.

--

FF
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 27, 9:57 am, Han wrote:
"EXT" wrote ctanews.com:

Or they can get a $400 discount on some new quartz or Corian counter
tops.

Since granite is mostly quartz wouldn't synthetic material made with
quartz have most of the same problems?

That would be logical. If indeed Silestone is made with quartz, I'd have
to bring our Geiger counter and measure. It could "see" my daughter from
50 yards away (and inside her house) when she was treated with radioactive
iodine for her Graves' disease. ANd the treatment did indeed cure that.

Siltstone is mostly quartz and clay. There are many different
clays,
some pure clays include elements with naturally occurring
radioisotopes
such as calcium and potassium or heavier metals. But probably most
of the activity in a given siltstone will again be due to trace
minerals that
are not part of the matrix per se.

--

Ff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 25, 12:20 pm, mac davis wrote:
On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 14:06:47 -0500, "Upscale" wrote:

"Robatoy" wrote in message

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/ga...?no_interstiti...

Show the article to enough people and they might end upI just paying you to remove
their $5000 granite counter tops and replace them with something else.
Sounds like a money making proposition to me.

Sounds like a great way to get a good deal on a slightly used Steel City TS..
I LIKE IT!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

I just got one of these saws with the granite top. Given that the top
is quarried in China and China's recent reputation for product safety,
I am somewhat concerned my boys are gonna fry....

Could take care of that middle-aged prostate without having to get
probed though ;-)

D'ohBoy

Posted to rec.woodworking

Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

Because it is naturally present in granite, the granite will also
have all of the Uranium decay daughters and some of those
are gamma and beta emitters. Granites also contains
potassium-40.

The US Capitol is made of granite. I'm told the radiation levels in the rotunda
are higher than any released at Three Mile Island. Hmm. That explains a lot
about Congress.

--- Doug

Posted to rec.woodworking

Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

Also one of the components is a highly toxic gas that causes convulsions
at 1.6 bar pressure, leading to death if not promptly treated.

Also severe lung injury if breathed for longer than about 20 mins
continuously at lower pressures

Exposure to the pure gas at a pressure of one bar it will cause third
degree burns within seconds. You definitely won;t last 20 minutes.

Sorry you must have got your gases mixed up. The one we were talking
about I have used at 1.6 bar (resting not active) for 16 mins and at
lower pressures for quite a bit longer.

--
replace spamblock with my family name to e-mail me
Pics at http://www.meekings.net/diving/index.shtml

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jerome Meekings wrote:
Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

Also one of the components is a highly toxic gas that causes convulsions
at 1.6 bar pressure, leading to death if not promptly treated.
Also severe lung injury if breathed for longer than about 20 mins
continuously at lower pressures

Exposure to the pure gas at a pressure of one bar it will cause third
degree burns within seconds. You definitely won;t last 20 minutes.

Sorry you must have got your gases mixed up. The one we were talking
about I have used at 1.6 bar (resting not active) for 16 mins and at
lower pressures for quite a bit longer.

Jerome;

What Fred was talking about is that O2 at one atmosphere and 100%
concentration is toxic. This is why the maximum depth for scuba divers
using standard air mix is 300 feet. The partial pressure of atmospheric
oxygen is 14.7 pounds per square inch at that depth. This is the
equivalent of 100% concentration at sea level.

The whole thread on this subject is really a joke, or would be if some
stupid city councilmen in California hadn't almost passed an ordinance
baning Dihydrogen Monooxide as a hazardous substance. They were stopped
in time.

The above is according to a newspaper article a couple of years ago.

Dave Nagel
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 28, 2:25 pm, (Jerome Meekings)
wrote:
Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

Also one of the components is a highly toxic gas that causes convulsions
at 1.6 bar pressure, leading to death if not promptly treated.

Also severe lung injury if breathed for longer than about 20 mins
continuously at lower pressures

Exposure to the pure gas at a pressure of one bar it will cause third
degree burns within seconds. You definitely won't last 20 minutes.

Sorry you must have got your gases mixed up. The one we were talking
about I have used at 1.6 bar (resting not active) for 16 mins and at
lower pressures for quite a bit longer.

If it is the one we are talking about you did not use it as a
_gas_ at 1.6 bar.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 28, 3:48 pm, "David G. Nagel"
wrote:
Jerome Meekings wrote:
Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

Also one of the components is a highly toxic gas that causes convulsions
at 1.6 bar pressure, leading to death if not promptly treated.
Also severe lung injury if breathed for longer than about 20 mins
continuously at lower pressures

Exposure to the pure gas at a pressure of one bar it will cause third
degree burns within seconds. You definitely won;t last 20 minutes.

Sorry you must have got your gases mixed up. The one we were talking
about I have used at 1.6 bar (resting not active) for 16 mins and at
lower pressures for quite a bit longer.

What Fred was talking about is that O2 at one atmosphere and 100%
concentration is toxic.

No, what I was talking about was that water vapor at
a partial pressure of one bar has a minimum temperature
of 100 degrees Celsius.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking
PDQ PDQ is offline

Good Heavens!!

That's Hydrogen Hydroxide, nature's universal solvent.

(BEG)

P D Q

"Fred the Red Shirt" wrote in message ...
On Jul 28, 3:48 pm, "David G. Nagel"
wrote:
Jerome Meekings wrote:
Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

Also one of the components is a highly toxic gas that causes convulsions
at 1.6 bar pressure, leading to death if not promptly treated.
Also severe lung injury if breathed for longer than about 20 mins
continuously at lower pressures

Exposure to the pure gas at a pressure of one bar it will cause third
degree burns within seconds. You definitely won;t last 20 minutes.

Sorry you must have got your gases mixed up. The one we were talking
about I have used at 1.6 bar (resting not active) for 16 mins and at
lower pressures for quite a bit longer.

What Fred was talking about is that O2 at one atmosphere and 100%
concentration is toxic.

No, what I was talking about was that water vapor at
a partial pressure of one bar has a minimum temperature
of 100 degrees Celsius.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

David G. Nagel wrote:

Jerome;

What Fred was talking about is that O2 at one atmosphere and 100%
concentration is toxic. This is why the maximum depth for scuba divers
using standard air mix is 300 feet. The partial pressure of atmospheric
oxygen is 14.7 pounds per square inch at that depth. This is the
equivalent of 100% concentration at sea level.

That was the one we were talking about, though I don't think Fred got
the point that it was one component not both.

And the usual limit for most scuba divers is 130 feet or 40 Meters, not
91 Meters 300 feet. For that it is usual to have a 3rd gas "He" in the
mix.

But that is getting too complex and loosing the point of the joke.

--
replace spamblock with my family name to e-mail me
Pics at http://www.meekings.net/diving/index.shtml
and http://www.meekings.net/photo-groups/nui/index.shtml

Posted to rec.woodworking

Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

If it is the one we are talking about you did not use it as a
_gas_ at 1.6 bar.

It is the pure element gas Nagel and I were talking about, but not the
compound one you were. ;-)
--
replace spamblock with my family name to e-mail me
Pics at http://www.meekings.net/diving/index.shtml
and http://www.meekings.net/photo-groups/nui/index.shtml

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 30, 3:57 am, (Jerome Meekings)
wrote:
David G. Nagel wrote:

Jerome;

What Fred was talking about is that O2 at one atmosphere and 100%
concentration is toxic. This is why the maximum depth for scuba divers
using standard air mix is 300 feet. The partial pressure of atmospheric
oxygen is 14.7 pounds per square inch at that depth. This is the
equivalent of 100% concentration at sea level.

That was the one we were talking about, though I don't think Fred got
the point that it was one component not both.

No, we were talking about 'dihydrogen oxide', aka 'hydrogen
hydroxide',
aka H20, aka water. If you breathe water you die. If you are
exposed
to water in gaseous form at one bar partial pressure, you are scaled
to death.

From your two component comment it would appear you thought
we were talking about air.

And the usual limit for most scuba divers is 130 feet or 40 Meters, not
91 Meters 300 feet. For that it is usual to have a 3rd gas "He" in the
mix.

But that is getting too complex and loosing the point of the joke.

Well, yes. We were talking about water, not air.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 30, 4:00 am, (Jerome Meekings)
wrote:
Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

If it is the one we are talking about you did not use it as a
_gas_ at 1.6 bar.

It is the pure element gas Nagel and I were talking about, but not the
compound one you were. ;-)
--

Well, yes. Kate referred to 'one component' of it.
The rest of us stayed on-topic, or should that be

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jerome Meekings wrote:
David G. Nagel wrote:

Jerome;

What Fred was talking about is that O2 at one atmosphere and 100%
concentration is toxic. This is why the maximum depth for scuba divers
using standard air mix is 300 feet. The partial pressure of atmospheric
oxygen is 14.7 pounds per square inch at that depth. This is the
equivalent of 100% concentration at sea level.

That was the one we were talking about, though I don't think Fred got
the point that it was one component not both.

And the usual limit for most scuba divers is 130 feet or 40 Meters, not
91 Meters 300 feet. For that it is usual to have a 3rd gas "He" in the
mix.

But that is getting too complex and loosing the point of the joke.

Jerome;

The practical depth for nonprofessional scuba divers is about 100-150
feet as you say. This has more to do with the ability to handle the
depth than anything else. The MAX depth for any diver using O2-N2 mix is
300 feet period. At that depth the partial pressure of O2 is 14.7 pounds
per square inch which is lethal.

Dave

Granite Countertops Bakpain Home Repair 2 February 27th 06 02:32 AM
Granite Countertops Ajax Home Repair 0 February 22nd 06 04:28 PM
Granite Countertops Don Phillipson Home Repair 0 February 22nd 06 01:40 AM
Granite Countertops Steve B Home Repair 0 February 22nd 06 12:29 AM
Granite countertops Joe Home Repair 8 November 17th 05 03:18 AM