Posted to rec.woodworking
Keith nuttle Keith nuttle is offline

Default Granite countertops. Radioactive?

Robatoy wrote:
Interesting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/ga...pagewanted=all

I think that if you check many of stones and concretes are to some
degree radio active, and as said before would fail the criteria for a
nuclear power plant.

This is one reason why we should reevaluate government regulation to
make it easier to build nuclear power plants. Nuclear energy is the one
and only clean energy. A nuclear plant can be built on a finite
amount of land. The energy output can be double or tripled in the same
space. (Based on the original design of the Shearon Harris plant.)

Forgetting the obvious benefits of a clean cheap energy source of
energy, the facilities can provide large of lakes and recreational
facilities. (Again the Shearon Harris plant as an example)

Based on the windmill farm in southern California, it takes about 8
acres ground for one windmill-- more energy, more windmills, and more
acres are cleared and many access roads built to service the windmill
farm. These acres can be used only for windmills because of the
revolving blades.

Corn is similar, I believe it takes about 25 acre per year to make one
tank truck of alcohol (4000 gallons). Believe it or not there is a
limited amount of farmable land available in the world. Do the math.

Acres farmland available = Acres for energy corn production + acres for
food production (animal and human) One goes up the other goes down.

Alcohol is not an viable fuel source. People don't do much in the acres
used to grow corn.