Posted to rec.woodworking
hex hex is offline

Default Granite countertops. Radioactive?

On Jul 24, 3:23*pm, Aardvark wrote:
On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 10:23:12 -0700, Robatoy wrote:
Interesting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/ga...4granite.html?

no_interstitial=&pagewanted=all

The main railway station in Edinburgh (that's in Scotland), Waverley
Station, is built into solid granite. I was told once that if a nuclear
plant had the same ambient radioactivity (or whatever they call it) the
plant would be evacuated and shut down for a very loooong time :-)

Granite is, apparently, a naturally radioactive mineral.

--
Liverpool. European City Of Culture 2008http://www.liverpool08.com

Not all granite is hot. Scottish granite is known to be. One of the
most radioactive buildings in all of Britain is the Marischal College
at University of Aberdeen ( second or third largest granite building
on the planet). As I recall G.P. Thompson (JJ Thompson's son) did
some of the early quantum mechanical experiements on electrons there.

And back to the original topic: which is more carcinogenic -- the
radon coming out of granite or the nasty chemical binders in solid
surface or quartz chip like silestone?

hex
-30-