Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default Granite countertops. Radioactive?

Robatoy wrote in
:

On Jul 26, 3:12*pm, Han wrote:
Robatoy wrote in
:

At some level, I'm sure that anything we dig up has some radiation,
'cept granma maybe.

I expect that anyone who was alive during the 50's and early 60's is
more radioactive than someone who died before 1945 or was born after
196whatev

er
when the test ban treaty went into effect (Google it yourself).

BTW, the fact that the granite under New York is of a type containing
rather more radioactivity shold not deter you from subsidizing the
subway mode of rapid transit.

NYC Subway works rather well, even for an outsider. It seems like the
only choice of getting in and out of Manhattan as parking fees are
just insane.

Interesting observation about subway technology. In Montreal, they run
on rubber tires, in Toronto, on regular railroad-style wheels.
Toronto's are quieter. (From an NRC Canada research finding, something
I discovered during my research there.)

I am a huge proponent of hub & spoke subterranean people movers.
Attach a subway system to a nuclear power plant, and Bob's your uncle.
(Unless you get those horribly out-dated union attitudes in there,
then we're all screwed.)

Not sure I understand exaactly what you mean with hub and spoke.
Everywhere outside to just 1 center goes only so far. Both NY and Paris
have what I would consider better systems than that, in that the
"center" load is spread out.

--
Best regards
Han