Bay Area Dave

Default Scraper?? I don't need to BUY no stinkin' scraper

I got desperate for a scraper today, so grabbed one of my putty knives
(Now dammit; no laughing!!!!) and proceeded to flatten the edge on a
diamond sharpener. Ran a screwdriver shank over it about half a dozen
times, and damn if I couldn't feel a sharp edge! Ran over to the
glue-up drawer front (yesterday's screw-up, which I salvaged) and
scraped a bit of protruding edge to flush the two pieces up. Damn if
that wasn't almost mystical! You Neanders JUST might have something
there. The grain was just POPPING out at me!

I guess I could skip the $18 burnishing tool when I get a set or "real"
scrapers? BTW what's the difference between a scraper that is labeled a
scraper and a scraper that I "made"?

1. Better cachet
2. Edge will last longer
3. Both one and two
4. None of the above

dave

Bay Area Dave

typo: should read, "when I get a set OF "real""

Bay Area Dave wrote:
snip

I guess I could skip the $18 burnishing tool when I get a set or "real"
scrapers?

Caractacus Potts

I guess I could skip the $18 burnishing tool when I get a set or

"real"
scrapers? BTW what's the difference between a scraper that is labeled

scraper and a scraper that I "made"?

1. Better cachet
2. Edge will last longer
3. Both one and two
4. None of the above

dave

Screw drivers work fine. Go to the flea market and get an old saw that
someone ruined by painting a mill scene on. Cut a scraper out of the
steel and go to town. You'll probably have better steel in there than
what's in your putty knife. You can also cut shapes to match any
profile that you need.

Leon

The biggest difference between a "real" scraper and your putty knife scraper
is that a real scraper is probably cheaper than your putty knife and has a
lot longer edge to work with. A regular scraper may hold its hook longer
than your putty knife.

"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

Doug Miller

In article , Bay Area Dave wrote:
I guess I could skip the $18 burnishing tool when I get a set or "real"
scrapers?

Definitely. But lay off the screwdrivers. There's much harder steel readily
available: find yourself a machine shop that rebuilds engines, and ask them
for a few used valve lifters. I got four lifters from a Chevy big-block for
two bucks, and I figure that's gonna be a lifetime supply of burnishing rods.
Some cleaning and polishing will be required. And of course there's no handle,
but part of the fun is turning your own. (Do you have a lathe?)

BTW what's the difference between a scraper that is labeled a
scraper and a scraper that I "made"?

1. Better cachet

Probably, but who cares?

2. Edge will last longer

Definitely. Scrapers are made from pretty hard steel. You can make your own
from an old handsaw -- that's likely to be harder steel than a putty knife.

3. Both one and two
4. None of the above

5. Longer cutting edge.

Andy Dingley

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 22:36:08 GMT, Bay Area Dave wrote:

I got desperate for a scraper today, so grabbed one of my putty knives
(Now dammit; no laughing!!!!) and proceeded to flatten the edge on a
diamond sharpener.

Damnit Dave ! That was _my_ idea

No, hang on - I put a handle on a $2 Sandvik scraper and used it
instead of a $12 wallpaper stripping knife, now I remember.

B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 22:36:08 GMT, Bay Area Dave wrote:

I guess I could skip the $18 burnishing tool when I get a set or "real"
scrapers? BTW what's the difference between a scraper that is labeled a
scraper and a scraper that I "made"?

FWIW, a Sandvik (sp?) scraper is the same price or cheaper than a
_good_ putty knife. They're about $6.

I would imagine a screwdriver shaft would get chewed up in a hurry
burnishing a real scraper.

Barry

*Casey*

Hi,
You probably mean pushrods; hydraulic lifters are too short & thick to make
a decent burnisher, and I think they have only two polished areas, rest is
rough cast. Also would be hard to get all the oil out of them :-)
Casey

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
y.com...
In article , Bay Area

Dave wrote:
[...]

How come we choose from just two people to run for president and 50 for

Miss America?

Doug Miller

In article . net, "*Casey*" wrote:
Hi,
You probably mean pushrods; hydraulic lifters are too short & thick to make
a decent burnisher, and I think they have only two polished areas, rest is
rough cast. Also would be hard to get all the oil out of them :-)
Casey

Who said anything about hydraulic lifters? "Pushrod" is the slang term, "valve
lifter" the correct one.

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
gy.com...
In article , Bay Area

Dave wrote:
[...]

Leon

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
y.com...
In article . net,

"*Casey*" wrote:
Hi,
You probably mean pushrods; hydraulic lifters are too short & thick to

make
a decent burnisher, and I think they have only two polished areas, rest

is
rough cast. Also would be hard to get all the oil out of them :-)
Casey

Who said anything about hydraulic lifters? "Pushrod" is the slang term,

"valve
lifter" the correct one.

Having been in and retired from the automotive industry for 20+ years, and
concerning most any Chevy V8, I can honestly say that I have never heard of
a "Push Rod" being the slang term for "lifter" or "valve lifter". Valve
lifters, be they hydraulic, solid or roller, are used along with "Push
Rods". Push rods and lifters are 2 different parts. Anyway, you will
normally find most Chevy engines small or big block, equipped with hydraulic
lifters and hollow push rods.

So, which is it, the 3" x 3/4" lifter, or the 10" x 1/4" push rod? ;~)
Seems the longer push rod would be much easier to use given its much longer
length. The Lifter on the other hand would seem to be more difficult to use
because it is shorter and many have indention's on the sides that would
interrupt the smooth surface.

Bay Area Dave

You and Casey got Know-it-all Miller dead to rights. "Pushrod" has
NEVER been the slang form of lifter. Besides which, OHC engines have NO
pushrods; only lifters.

dave

"*Casey*" wrote:

[...]

CW

Burnishers are very smooth and very hard. I made mine out of a 3/8 x 3"
dowel pin. This is not what you might thing of as a dowel. These are used as
alignment pins in machinery. They are as hard as a file and ground to a very
high surface finish. Mount in a handle. Someplace like Grainger or Rutland
tool would have them. I even saw some at Eagle (before they became Lowes).

om...

CW wrote:

[...]

Leon

"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message
om...
You and Casey got Know-it-all Miller dead to rights. "Pushrod" has
NEVER been the slang form of lifter. Besides which, OHC engines have NO
pushrods; only lifters.

Well I was going to go into that aspect concerning the OHC engines but I
don't recall if any late model Chevy V8's have OHC's. He was talking "big
block".

Which brings up another point, the valve itself would probably work pretty
well for putting a burr on a scraper. Valves are normally quite hard.

Sweet Sawdust

"Try a piece of broken glass.

CW

I've done that. Yes, it works great.

"Sweet Sawdust" wrote in message

"Try a piece of broken glass.

Doug Miller

In article , Bay Area Dave wrote:
You and Casey got Know-it-all Miller dead to rights. "Pushrod" has
NEVER been the slang form of lifter. Besides which, OHC engines have NO
pushrods; only lifters.

After further review... I stand corrected. But hey Dave, I thought you plonked
me?

Groggy

"Upscale" wrote in message ...
If he plonked as many people as he's claimed to, he wouldn't have anyone
left to talk to. That would spell death knell for his personality.

Personality? Ahh, a euphemism, gotcha ;-)

Groggy

"CW" wrote in message ...
Buy several. You'd be surprised how handy they are. Ground to size
(diameter) to within .0002. Great for mesuring.

Anyone who professes to be, or have been, a mechanic must have a dozen
suitable extension bars, wrenches or ratchets with handles suitable for the
job. Otherwise the guide roller out of a printer will do the job. Any normal
house should have at least a dozen suitable items laying around. Thing is,
you need to go look first.

Andy Dingley

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 22:25:35 -0600, "Sweet Sawdust"
wrote:

"Try a piece of broken glass.

Yes and no.

A broken glass scraper is a great scraper, but it's a blunt edge not a
hook. When it cuts, it makes a Type III chip. A relatively stiff but
weak material collapses into fine dust. It's a good scraper for
removing old finishes, but not for smoothing timber.

A hooked scraper makes Type II chips (when it works right). These are
thin shavings - a fibrous material peels apart and curves upwards in a
smooth chip.

B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 03:41:27 GMT, Bay Area Dave wrote:

Is a real burnisher smooth?

Very!

Barry
George

Thus the pleasure, even for this confirmed scraper user of many years, of
the Veritas Dial-a-Curl burnisher. Comes with a set of scrapers, now marked
and set for coarsest glue removal to finest burnished surface.

Sure you can do without, but the kids have to have something to get you for
occasions....

wrote:

"Try a piece of broken glass.

Yes and no.

A broken glass scraper is a great scraper, but it's a blunt edge not a
hook. When it cuts, it makes a Type III chip. A relatively stiff but
weak material collapses into fine dust. It's a good scraper for
removing old finishes, but not for smoothing timber.

A hooked scraper makes Type II chips (when it works right). These are
thin shavings - a fibrous material peels apart and curves upwards in a
smooth chip.

Scott Cramer

On 19 Nov 2003, Groggy spake unto rec.woodworking:

"Upscale" wrote in message ...
If he plonked as many people as he's claimed to, he wouldn't have anyone
left to talk to. That would spell death knell for his personality.

Personality? Ahh, a euphemism, gotcha ;-)

This will make things clear:

http://tinyurl.com/vnz1

Scott

Bay Area Dave

I only plonked about 8 guys, and 7 of them have been unplonked.
Whenever someone uses the phrase "he's claimed to" that's tantamount to
saying that I am lying. I don't ever lie. You may disagree with me,
may not like me, but I was brought up to be totally honest and truthful.

Even Cramer is visible now...

dave

Dave wrote:

You and Casey got Know-it-all Miller dead to rights. "Pushrod" has
NEVER been the slang form of lifter. Besides which, OHC engines have NO
pushrods; only lifters.

After further review... I stand corrected. But hey Dave, I thought you

plonked

me?

Bay Area Dave

Scott, you never cease to amaze me with your venom. Have you tried
therapy to deal with your anger? I feel a limerick about to be born...

There once was a crackpot named Scott
Who wasn't as smart as he thought
For always he demeaned others
Knew not the meaning of "brothers"
Will his vitriol ever stop?

dave

snip

Chris

[...]

BAD going Neander? And MAKING a scraper instead of buying a L-N
Plane? That's a sure sign of the Apocolypse!

-Chris
Scott Cramer

On 19 Nov 2003, Bay Area Dave spake unto rec.woodworking:

Scott, you never cease to amaze me with your venom. Have you tried
therapy to deal with your anger? I feel a limerick about to be born...

There once was a crackpot named Scott
Who wasn't as smart as he thought
For always he demeaned others
Knew not the meaning of "brothers"
Will his vitriol ever stop?

Uh, Dave, that link goes back to June, when you were flapping your
gums about things of which you knew even less than you do now. There's no
vitriol there, just a bit of pointed humor.

Here's a dare for you. I dare you to post no more than three times a
day for two weeks. I guarantee that if you put a bit more thought into
your posts, actually THINKING about your questions a bit before flooding
the NG with them, you would see far fewer responses of an insulting nature.
It is the incessant chatter, pointless blather, and useless responses to
countless threads that fuels my desire to dope-slap you all the time.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Familiarity breeds contempt.

Think you can do it? Three times a day, for two weeks. Shut your
yap and listen instead of reporting every stupid goddamn thing you do all
day long. The only responses you'll get from me will be of a serious,
helpful nature. For two weeks, at least.

Scott

Bay Area Dave

hmm... you only cursed once. I think that's a record, Scotty! I will
not limit my posts, but feel free to respond to only three of mine per
day, with serious responses to serious WW questions. We can both skip
all the OT bs and make EVERYONE happier in the process.

So, meet me half way? That's the deal. Ball's in your court.

dave

Scott Cramer wrote:

[...]

Scott Cramer

On 19 Nov 2003, Bay Area Dave spake unto rec.woodworking:

hmm... you only cursed once. I think that's a record, Scotty! I will
not limit my posts, but feel free to respond to only three of mine per
day, with serious responses to serious WW questions. We can both skip
all the OT bs and make EVERYONE happier in the process.

So, meet me half way? That's the deal. Ball's in your court.

Sorry, Dave. It's your diarrhea of the mouth, in conjunction with
constipation of the brain, that's at the heart of the issue.

It's only for two weeks. Can't even bear the thought of it, can you?

[...]

Rob Stokes

Scott:

I know BAD get's "into it" with several, but I also have learned to
appreciate his on-topic posts. I can't remember much about your on-topic
posting. Care to remind me before I make the "tank/don't tank" decision?

Rob

--

Remove CC for email and please visit our web site:
http://www.robswoodworking.com

"Scott Cramer" wrote in message
7.53...
snipped

Sorry, Dave. It's your diarrhea of the mouth, in conjunction with
constipation of the brain, that's at the heart of the issue.

It's only for two weeks. Can't even bear the thought of it, can you?

snipped

Scott Cramer

On 19 Nov 2003, Rob Stokes spake unto rec.woodworking:

Scott:

I know BAD get's "into it" with several, but I also have learned to
appreciate his on-topic posts. I can't remember much about your on-topic
posting. Care to remind me before I make the "tank/don't tank" decision?

I will readily confess that the last few days have seen an orgy of
BAD bashing. And I will also confess to offering smartass remarks in about
a 3:1 ratio with useful advice. But I do indeed help when I have something
to offer.

For sheer volume of posts, BAD has no peers. Consider the numbers,
look at the chaff:wheat proportions, and then explain why he shouldn't take
me up on the dare!

Scott