Fred the Red Shirt

Default Scraper?? I don't need to BUY no stinkin' scraper

(Doug Miller) wrote in message gy.com...
In article , Bay Area Dave wrote:
I guess I could skip the $18 burnishing tool when I get a set or "real"
scrapers?

Definitely. But lay off the screwdrivers. There's much harder steel readily
available: find yourself a machine shop that rebuilds engines, and ask them
for a few used valve lifters. I got four lifters from a Chevy big-block for

Files are hard enough to use as a burnisher. I have used the smooth
part of a rat-tailed file down by the tang. I've heard of other folks
using a belt sander to take the teeth off a file to make a burnisher.
If you try that, do not let the file get too hot. Low alloy high
carbon steel aneals around 325 F. I've also used roll pins which
aren't really hard enough but they work for the same reason that
screwdriver handles work--the stress in the thin section on the
sharp corner of the scraper is much higher than on the rounded
screwdriver shaft.

--

FF