Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT - Two things ...

.... are suddenly noticeable in their ubiquity:

Quarterbacks lifting one leg right before the snap, and the use of the word
"passed" for "died".

Monkeys see, monkeys do?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

... hey, it's also a slow, rainy morning!

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

woodworking Date: Wed, Jan 16, 2008, 7:38am
(Swingman) doth sayeth:
snip ... hey, it's also a slow, rainy morning!

Right now, I'm watching the Magic Schoolbus on TV. But when it's
over I'll go to town and check the mail, then get a bit of light chain
for a project mod - NO, it is NOT anything like that - it's for hanging
my shop heater.

One thing I do is bring in small pieces of wood, and experiment
with different types of stain and finish. Or just play with them. LOL
Right now I'm carrying an octagon I made with my "octagon maker bandsaw
saw sled". Kinda amazing what new woodworking ideas one can get by
flipping one of those over and looking at it.

Magic School bus over now, time to head for town.

JOAT
10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President
- Bumper Sticker
I don't have a problem with a woman president - just not Hillary.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
... are suddenly noticeable in their ubiquity:

Quarterbacks lifting one leg right before the snap,

Yeah, he is trying to claim/be a part of some of that "Glory Dance"
displayed when a touch down is scored.

and the use of the word
"passed" for "died".

Confusing ain't it. Makes as much sense as "My Bad".

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07
KarlC@ (the obvious)

... hey, it's also a slow, rainy morning!

And to stay on topic, ;~) Why is it often a slow rainy morning on the day
you need to so a lot of sanding?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J T" wrote in message
woodworking Date: Wed, Jan 16, 2008, 7:38am
(Swingman) doth sayeth:
snip ... hey, it's also a slow, rainy morning!

Right now, I'm watching the Magic Schoolbus on TV. But when it's
over I'll go to town and check the mail, then get a bit of light chain
for a project mod - NO, it is NOT anything like that - it's for hanging
my shop heater.

One thing I do is bring in small pieces of wood, and experiment
with different types of stain and finish. Or just play with them. LOL
Right now I'm carrying an octagon I made with my "octagon maker bandsaw
saw sled". Kinda amazing what new woodworking ideas one can get by
flipping one of those over and looking at it.

Magic School bus over now, time to head for town.

Do you sing along with that show? ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

"Swingman" wrote in message

... are suddenly noticeable in their ubiquity:

Quarterbacks lifting one leg right before the snap,

Yeah, he is trying to claim/be a part of some of that "Glory Dance"
displayed when a touch down is scored.

I don't watch football/sports as a rule, but that's changed with my numerous
trips to AR these past few months ... too cold to fish, and not much else to
do with all those damn old folks/retiree's populating the area.

Seems like ALL quarterbacks are doing that little leg jerk before the snap
when in a shotgun formation. I noticed it in the HS games being broadcast,
in the college games, and in the pro games?

What the hell is that supposed to do/accomplish, and who started it?

and the use of the word
"passed" for "died".

Confusing ain't it. Makes as much sense as "My Bad".

"John Doe passed on Saturday, leaving ..."

"Passed" who/what ... gas, a truck, what?

I guess if you've never had to skin an animal to eat, you need to soften the
reality of life/death with figurative, saran wrap, terminology, eh?

A generation of pussies is upon us ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

J T wrote:

woodworking Date: Wed, Jan 16, 2008, 7:38am
(Swingman) doth sayeth:
snip ... hey, it's also a slow, rainy morning!

Right now, I'm watching the Magic Schoolbus on TV. But when it's
over I'll go to town and check the mail, then get a bit of light chain
for a project mod - NO, it is NOT anything like that - it's for hanging
my shop heater.

One thing I do is bring in small pieces of wood, and experiment
with different types of stain and finish. Or just play with them. LOL
Right now I'm carrying an octagon I made with my "octagon maker bandsaw
saw sled". Kinda amazing what new woodworking ideas one can get by
flipping one of those over and looking at it.

Why does this bring to mind a scene with some folks sitting on the floor
in a circle and one of them staring, fascinated, at his hand. "Wow, man,
have you ever looked, I mean really *looked* at your hand?" :-)

Sorry. We now return you to your regular rec.ww content

Magic School bus over now, time to head for town.

JOAT
10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President
- Bumper Sticker
I don't have a problem with a woman president - just not Hillary.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
news

What the hell is that supposed to do/accomplish, and who started it?

M a y b e , he is really jumping..

Perhaps when the Center bends over to snap the ball, he farts and this
scares the QB and he jumps a little. ;~)

And this really makes sense when you consider what you have to say below.
LOL

and the use of the word
"passed" for "died".

Confusing ain't it. Makes as much sense as "My Bad".

"John Doe passed on Saturday, leaving ..."

"Passed" who/what ... gas, a truck, what?

I guess if you've never had to skin an animal to eat, you need to soften
the
reality of life/death with figurative, saran wrap, terminology, eh?

A generation of pussies is upon us ...

Yup.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
J T wrote:

Why does this bring to mind a scene with some folks sitting on the floor
in a circle and one of them staring, fascinated, at his hand. "Wow, man,
have you ever looked, I mean really *looked* at your hand?" :-)

Must be a 60's thing.

--
Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman said:

... are suddenly noticeable in their ubiquity:

Quarterbacks lifting one leg right before the snap, and the use of the word
"passed" for "died".

Monkeys see, monkeys do?

Age old occurrence.

On another note, since it's a rainy, slow day for you, I have a
problem I'd like your input on.

Idiots built an entire subdivision and stuck ventilators in all the
bathrooms for show - but failed to vent them anywhere. After years of
use, the owners call with complaints of the sheetrock seams/tape
peeling off. Although it is obvious as to why, I'm not sure what the
best solution is. I've already found dead wall space and installed
metal pipes from the lower floors, and am now hooking up flexible pipe
to the upper floor bathrooms. The problem is the external vents. I
don't want to chop 4 holes in the roof, and getting at the eaves for 4
eave vents is problematic/impossible. (Too small w/ 6/12 pitch
W-Rafters on the inside, and 45 feet in the air on the outside.)

I'm considering running all of them together to one large roof vent,
but I'm concerned about blowback back into other bathrooms (yeah, they
do have some cheap-ass flapper), and the distance (condensation
dripping back) on some. As well, no one sells a 4 into 1 collector
for this purpose. Got any good ideas?

Thanks,

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 16, 9:07*am, "Swingman" wrote:

Seems like ALL quarterbacks are doing that little leg jerk before the snap
when in a shotgun formation. I noticed it in the HS games being broadcast,
in the college games, and in the pro games?

Ahem... not a sports buff myself, but I do enjoy a good baseball game
immensely.

But... the leg pump in the shotgun formation was created due of the
fact that the guys on the field literally cannot hear the snap count.
In the shotgun where they are a few feet away, I think most
quarterbacks have complained that when playing on another's home turf
they cannot hear anything. So think about the center, literally
pointed the other way trying to pick up the count...

So it becomes a timing issue, with the QB yelling as loudly as he can
to draw off sides the other team if possible. The snap from the
center then becomes based on visual cues; a leg pump, then a two count
then "hike", or a leg pump and a one count, or an immediate transfer
in some cases. This awkward looking moment was actually born out of
necessity.

Living in San Antonio, we have the Spurs, and our +/- 25,000 capacity
arena in which they play. The ATT Center is ften voted as the loudest
NBA venue by NBA teams and fans. During playoffs (or any Dallas game)
it is so loud in the arena that you literally cannot hear the person
sitting beside you when the crowds get going. Literally. And your
ears ring for hours when you leave.

Imagine a bigger venue, but more radical fans, and at least three
times as many of them in a dome or small stadium...

I guess it's pretty obvious that it's raining here, too...

Robert
(wishing I was in the middle of a large garage repair now instead of
at home drinking coffee putting off f'ing paperwork)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gerald Ross said:

Greg G. wrote:

[...]

Might make a good intercom system as well.

Yeah, that's why I looked for a swept collector. Just like your
automotive exhaust pipe headers...

I once bought a house with a vent hood over the stove. I could see the
vent in the roof. But in the attic there was nothing going to the roof
vent. They had piped the vent hood into the boxing over the cabinets
and forgot it. The house was about 15 years old. When I cut a hole
and connected the pipe to the roof vent the vent hood worked much better.

Funny how that vent thing works out. eh?
They generally work better when hooked up.
Unfortunately, they didn't install outside vents, and retrofitting
cornice or wall vents would require ripping out the interior ceilings
for access. The ceilings have some weird-ass texture that was manually
applied with a 6-lobed sponge tool that no one sells anymore, and
blending in repairs is difficult - been there, done that. Even then,
there isn't room for a cornice vent, and the ceiling joists are only
2x4s and feed directly into the soffit. The only options are eave
vents or roof vents - and the only thing the BORGs sell are dryer-like
4" wall vents. They ran all the real builder supply stores out of
business, and you can't get anything around here anymore unless it is
a top 500 seller. Like a vent assist fan for HVAC ductwork - which
was also improperly designed and installed. I've never seen anyone
install 4" heating ducts on a 20' run to two remote bedrooms before.
Rooms which, incidentally, freeze in the winter and smolder in the
summer. Egads - I thought they had software for modeling this - I do.

The problem with the vents is that in winter the "air beaters" move
hot, moist air from the baths into the attic where it immediately
condenses the moisture onto the ceiling and insulation. Additionally,
they covered the fans, and vent connections, with blown in loose-fill
insulation, so it's a soggy, black mess.

And then there is the pile of 2x4s I picked up while installing more
6.5" roll fibreglass insulation. The attic had 2.5 - 3" of blown in
loose-fill - in places. And no existing vapor barrier, either. The
pile of 2x4s were supposed to be a nailing flange for the bathroom
ceiling around a stub wall. I counted 26 odd nails, and not one hit
anything but air. Just a pile of debris. Sheese...

I don't know what these people had in mind when they built this ****,
but I'm sure increased "return on investment" was the primary
motivating force behind this development project. 20 years old and
crumbling fast. You should see the house next door. Woodpeckers
living in the rotten parts and the guy ignores it. Damned McMansions.
My first house was built in the early 60s, was only 960 sq. ft., and
yet it was built like a tank. Hardwood floors, ductile iron sewers,
actual diagonal plank sheathing.

But that's progress...

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 16, 11:53*am, "Swingman" wrote:

There you go, bro ... learn something everyday. That just shows to go you
how much of a sports fan I am!

My interest in football actually left with the retirement of Roger
Staubach, Bob Lilly, Charlie Waters, Leroy Jordan, Drew Pearson, et.
al.

(Judging from high schoolers doing it too, I still think there's a 'monkey
see, monkey do' component going on here, however).

Absolutely no doubt about that. I am waiting to see the day when the
peewee leaguers do it.... some of those little tyros are so small the
helmet swallows them whole. I would imagine that lifting leg would
topple the whole kid.

It's now done! ... and soon I get to see how much I owe the IRS, right after
paying the property taxes on 1/31/08, that is.

Don't do it Swing!!! Dont' do it!!!

You will be looking at the tax bill in one hand wondering WTF
happened, wondering about that kind of dough, then looking out the
window at a cold drizzly day. Then to think about property/school/
county/state taxes?

Good sir, that is a recipe for long term depression.

The complexity of my taxes has made it impossible for me to do them
myself anymore. My small (tiny?) corporation has two smaller
entities, and then of course I have my personal returns. Each quarter
requires a report, and when I have employees, an end of quarter
report. If no employees, the reports still have to be filed, of
course. Then there is the year end corporate returns, my personal
return, and all the crap that goes into them as well. Together, they
make a Gordian knot that a super computer couldn't crack. So think
about my pea brain...

I used to do my taxes, and used to do my own bookkeeping. No more.
For $50 a month I have found a real company that will let me use them
as my professional address of record. They will receive and pay my
bills, monitor my accts., receive my packages (saw blades, etc., I buy
on the net), and input all transactions into Quickbooks for my CPA/
Enrolled Agent to do my taxes. They also file all my quarterlies (if
no employees) for that same $50 a month.

Taxes are additional of course, but for $50 a month for all
bookkeeping, check paying, paper record filing and quarterly reports I
don't have to do it is well worth it.

I used to get so depressed this time of year that I would not get back
in the saddle for a couple of weeks. I would spend a couple of weeks
thinking of all my missteps, mistakes, bad judgements, etc., and
really rake myself over the coals. My cigar smoking and whiskey
consumption would at least double. Late 60s to mid 80s Johnny Cash/
Merle Haggard/George Jones time on the victrola would skyrocket.

All in all, not a good place to be.

Now I don't see any of it until it is done, I just make sure I keep a
rolling business acct. balance in my head to make sure I am ahead (or
like last year with all the rain (3 months of no work) and the ice
storm (one month), almost even). When in doubt, I watch my accounts
on the net, so I can tell where I am. I manage my side of things by
keeping close tabs on the costs assiciated with every job, something I
actually enjoy doing.

But taxes? No way... I'm not as stout as I once was, and the more I
pay the more I wonder why no one asks me how my money should be
spent. I get too ****ed off and out of focus.

As for the %*&^$$@ rain, if I have had a long string of unbroken
(profitable) work that has lasted for several weeks/months, I don't
mind a rain day. But to me, rain can be really depressing. I don't
give a crap about nourishing the plants, the yard, filling the
resovoirs, or any other crap. I want work and hate being off the
income stream.

Life is good when it isn't too hot or freezing, I am on a profitable
job with good subs that is going well and I have a thermos of good
coffee to have during the day. Is that too much to ask? Some
sunshine, some fresh air... I am definitely NOT an office dweller.

I work for Uncle Sam, all the various taxing authorities in Harris County,
and Henderson State University ... and it looks like there is more of the
same to come in November.

I need some sunshine ... and a source of more energy.

I'm tellin' you... don't do it. I'd hate to hear that you took up
hard drinkin' again.... or more often.... or *gasp* turned to the
life of a FULL time musician. Got one of those in the family. Now
that's a real labor of love (read: no money - at least for him)! But
a different story.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

"J T" wrote in message
Wed, Jan 16, 2008, 2:51pm (EST+5) (Leon)
doth sayeth:
Do you sing along with that show? ;~)

Do, I don't. You saying you do?

;~) The wheels on the bus go round and round........

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

Absolutely no doubt about that. I am waiting to see the day when the
peewee leaguers do it.... some of those little tyros are so small the
helmet swallows them whole. I would imagine that lifting leg would
topple the whole kid.

LOL, those little kiddo's are a hoot to watch. I just envisioned nothing
but helmets, running around into each outher on the field.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

My interest in football actually left with the retirement of Roger

Staubach, Bob Lilly, Charlie Waters, Leroy Jordan, Drew Pearson, et.
al.

After Otto Graham retired from the Browns at the end of 1955, it has
been ALL downhill since for the Browns except for 1964.

I lost interest in the carpet baggers called pro sports a long time
ago.

Today pro games fill up TV time.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman said:

"Greg G." wrote

On another note, since it's a rainy, slow day for you, I have a
problem I'd like your input on.
... snip tale of woe concerning bathroom ventilators
Got any good ideas?

Those on the first floor we vent, individually, out the side of the house;
those on the second floor we vent out the cornice if we can (some local
codes don't allow this).

Yeah, if this were being constructed, it could be dealt with much
easier.

IME, much better to vent sideways with the individual fart fans instead of
"up".

Yes, but not worth the labor involved at this late date.
See notes above - below - sideways... ;-)

There are a number of "systems" out there like the following:

http://www.airscapefans.com/collections/bath-vent

Might want to check'em out.

Looks like a quiet, functional system but don't think it'll fly for
this job. You should have seen the look when the price was mentioned.
But you can guarantee if I ever get around to building my own house,
all of these types of things will be considered. Including raceways
for access to plumbing/electrical/CATV/CAT5/Intercom/Hi-Fi.

Sorry to hijack your thread, Swing.

Now to top it off, it is snowing here!
Took me 40 minutes to go 2 miles from the hardware store.
I really hate cities...

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 09:36:07 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

But... the leg pump in the shotgun formation was created due of the
fact that the guys on the field literally cannot hear the snap count.
In the shotgun where they are a few feet away, I think most
quarterbacks have complained that when playing on another's home turf
they cannot hear anything. So think about the center, literally
pointed the other way trying to pick up the count...

It's also used (when not in the shotgun) to put the tight end in
motion.

Mike O.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 16, 8:38 am, "Swingman" wrote:
... are suddenly noticeable in their ubiquity:

Quarterbacks lifting one leg right before the snap, and the use of the word
"passed" for "died".

Monkeys see, monkeys do?

The NFL is interesting exactly because it is a monkey see, monkey do
league. When one team has a great idea, it's quickly adapted by each
team that sees it as a fit. In order to differentiate themselves,
teams are forced to be innovative because the competition quickly
catches up. So-n-so's doing a silent snap count with their leg? Great
idea! And it is, really. When a team is on the road, a visual clue to
the center is more reliable than an audible one.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe wrote:

Why does this bring to mind a scene with some folks sitting on the floor
in a circle and one of them staring, fascinated, at his hand. "Wow, man,
have you ever looked, I mean really *looked* at your hand?" :-)

Sorry. We now return you to your regular rec.ww content

Isn't there usually a water pipe involved in that scenario? :-D

jc

... or sumthin' ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jeff" wrote

On Jan 16, 8:38 am, "Swingman"

... are suddenly noticeable in their ubiquity:

Quarterbacks lifting one leg right before the snap, and the use of the
word
"passed" for "died".

Monkeys see, monkeys do?

The NFL is interesting exactly because it is a monkey see, monkey do
league. When one team has a great idea, it's quickly adapted by each
team that sees it as a fit. In order to differentiate themselves,
teams are forced to be innovative because the competition quickly
catches up. So-n-so's doing a silent snap count with their leg? Great
idea! And it is, really. When a team is on the road, a visual clue to
the center is more reliable than an audible one.

Ever had a football helmet on?

Great theory ... as long as linemen/centers have eyes in the back of their
head.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

The leg-lift is a visual signal, which may relate to:

1. "Hey center, I'm ready to receive the snap at your leisure"
2. "Hey flanker, start your motion"
3. "Hike the ball in 3 seconds"
4. "Hey defense, I'm just ****in' with 'ya"
5. "Team: no audible, run the play as called when we did the
huddle-thingy"
6. "Damn, these pants are tight and my balls are pinched"
7. "That Jessica Simpson is HOT ... she can suck the chrome off a
trailer hitch!"
8. "Begin countdown for whatever we're counting down for"
9. &tc.

-TES

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 07:38:44 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

... are suddenly noticeable in their ubiquity:

Quarterbacks lifting one leg right before the snap, and the use of the word
"passed" for "died".

Monkeys see, monkeys do?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 18:53:09 -0800, Thomas Edward Stosterone
wrote:

A lineman, including the ends, cannot go in motion. They can shift,
but once set, they can't move.

You may be technically correct if they are set.

In the NFL, the rules state that interior linemen cannot go in motion.
A tight end is not an interior lineman since the rules also state that
interior linemen are located between the ends.
A wide out or end can be a down lineman there just has to be 6 down
linemen. If another player moves to the line (covering the tight
end), lets say the wide-out, the end is then allowed to step back and
go into motion. That is unless another down or back is already in
motion.
Watching KC lose every weekend I see #88 in motion a lot. He'll step
to the line, wave the wide-out to the line, step back from the line,
wait for the quarterback's leg lift signal and then go into motion.
Every NFL team runs something similar.

Mike O.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Thomas Edward Stosterone" wrote in message
The leg-lift is a visual signal, which may relate to:

1. "Hey center, I'm ready to receive the snap at your leisure"
2. "Hey flanker, start your motion"
3. "Hike the ball in 3 seconds"
4. "Hey defense, I'm just ****in' with 'ya"
5. "Team: no audible, run the play as called when we did the
huddle-thingy"
6. "Damn, these pants are tight and my balls are pinched"
7. "That Jessica Simpson is HOT ... she can suck the chrome off a
trailer hitch!"
8. "Begin countdown for whatever we're counting down for"
9. &tc.

LOL!

10. XXXX does it, and it looks cools, so I'm gonna to do it to.

Somebody had to be first?

(this could be Saddam's mother of all trivia questions)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 16, 10:07 am, "Swingman" wrote:

"John Doe passed on Saturday, leaving ..."

"Passed" who/what ... gas, a truck, what?

I guess if you've never had to skin an animal to eat, you need to soften the
reality of life/death with figurative, saran wrap, terminology, eh?

A generation of pussies is upon us ...

Oddly enough, the people who use that the most around here appear to
be descendants of dead farmers. At least we KNOW the farmer did some
slicing and dicing on his own. I think the prosletyzers mostly want us
to believe that the person who died immediately passed on to a better
world.

We're softening reality for everyone. AOL has a headline about someone
having all the want or need still being unhappy. I usually have all I
need, but have never in my life come within half a million bucks of
having all I want, but unfortunately for today's generation of people
with super high self esteem, I'm usually happy, unless I'm ****ed off.

I love the VA question about depression: have you been depressed for a
long time lately? Actually, not ever (if we don't count Parris
Island's first week--that would depress Richard Simmons [is that
irrepressible gnome still bouncing along?]).

Too many people spend too much time worrying about themselves. Many
vets DO have a problem with depression (with excellent cause), but
damned if I can see why these questions are repeated on EVERY frigging
visit to those of us who don't. My nerves aren't that sensitive and
never have been. If someone thinks I'm acting like an asshole, they
let me know without a shrink's intervention. Hell, these days I
probably will agree and just keep on keeping on.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 16, 4:08 pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
wrote:
My interest in football actually left with the retirement of Roger

Staubach, Bob Lilly, Charlie Waters, Leroy Jordan, Drew Pearson, et.
al.

After Otto Graham retired from the Browns at the end of 1955, it has
been ALL downhill since for the Browns except for 1964.

I lost interest in the carpet baggers called pro sports a long time
ago.

Today pro games fill up TV time.

Lew

Y. A. Tittle was the start of the slide for me. After Tarkenton, my
interest really flagged. Today, it seems to be all weight trained
muscles and acrobatics after doing their jobs halfway decently. Even
if I could do a backflip (many years away from that), it wouldn't seem
sensible every time I finished writing or photographing an article or
book, or, and especially, when a query to an editor resulted in a
sale. That's my frigging job. The pay sucks and always has, but it is
satisfying in other ways. Neither would a chicken dance. In fact, I
don't even high five my wife. Mostly, sit back, sigh, and pour some
more coffee.