Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

Default Things not to do #41.

After examining your excellent new concrete works, discover that the
flex for the concrete mixer goes through them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills

Ian Stirling wrote:

After examining your excellent new concrete works, discover that the
flex for the concrete mixer goes through them.

Is that *before* or *after* the concrete has set? g
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On 14 Apr 2006 16:20:08 GMT, Ian Stirling wrote:

After examining your excellent new concrete works, discover that the
flex for the concrete mixer goes through them.

I assume your mixer now needs a new flex.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

Roger Mills wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:

After examining your excellent new concrete works, discover that the
flex for the concrete mixer goes through them.

Is that *before* or *after* the concrete has set? g

Thankfully, before.
Last look round the site, to see if there was anything else I needed to
do.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
.

Ian Stirling wrote:
After examining your excellent new concrete works, discover that the
flex for the concrete mixer goes through them.

LOL you too ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
After examining your excellent new concrete works, discover that the
flex for the concrete mixer goes through them.

I predict a long thread ...

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian Stirling wrote:
After examining your excellent new concrete works, discover that the
flex for the concrete mixer goes through them.

Lol. Well done!

My last mistake was designing a piece of wood to go where there was
already another bit, and no neither could be removed or omitted. Quite
tame.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Stanton

Or when you've designed and etched a printed circuit board with the IC
pins the wrong way round, so that you have to bend all the pins the
other way up.

Or years ago, built a ZX81 on the wrong side of the pcb !!

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Ian Stirling wrote:
After examining your excellent new concrete works, discover that the
flex for the concrete mixer goes through them.

Thats easy. Cut the flex and leave it for 'time team 3000' and fit new flex.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Dave Stanton wrote:
Or when you've designed and etched a printed circuit board with the IC
pins the wrong way round, so that you have to bend all the pins the
other way up.

Or years ago, built a ZX81 on the wrong side of the pcb !!

Dave

Actually the thing that gets me is the recursive installation problem.

I need to install the tiles to put in the basin to establish the vanity
unit height in order to be able to accurately cut the piece of MDF that
sits behind the basin covering the pipes and which has to go in before
the tiles are laid...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mungo

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Actually the thing that gets me is the recursive installation problem.

Is that not just a loop, instead of "recursive"?

Mungo

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

Dave Stanton wrote:
Or when you've designed and etched a printed circuit board with the IC
pins the wrong way round, so that you have to bend all the pins the
other way up.

Or years ago, built a ZX81 on the wrong side of the pcb !!

Dave

Actually the thing that gets me is the recursive installation problem.

I need to install the tiles to put in the basin to establish the vanity
unit height in order to be able to accurately cut the piece of MDF that
sits behind the basin covering the pipes and which has to go in before the
tiles are laid...

That sort of thing happens far too often for comfort :-(

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Eric The Viking" wrote in message

Dave Stanton wrote:
Or when you've designed and etched a printed circuit board with the IC
pins the wrong way round, so that you have to bend all the pins the
other way up.

Or years ago, built a ZX81 on the wrong side of the pcb !!

Dave

Actually the thing that gets me is the recursive installation problem.

I need to install the tiles to put in the basin to establish the vanity
unit height in order to be able to accurately cut the piece of MDF that
sits behind the basin covering the pipes and which has to go in before
the tiles are laid...

Ah!

I'll remember that if I don't forget it.

Mary

ETV

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article 444217d7.0@entanet,
"Eric The Viking" writes:

Recursion: to curse and curse again...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 05:52:48 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Dave Stanton wrote:
Or when you've designed and etched a printed circuit board with the IC
pins the wrong way round, so that you have to bend all the pins the
other way up.

Or years ago, built a ZX81 on the wrong side of the pcb !!

Dave

Actually the thing that gets me is the recursive installation problem.

I need to install the tiles to put in the basin to establish the vanity
unit height in order to be able to accurately cut the piece of MDF that
sits behind the basin covering the pipes and which has to go in before
the tiles are laid...

What about the proof that death never occours, its said that at the
end, your whole life flashes in front of you, including of cource the
flash, so at the end of the 1st flash, you see the 2nd, which contains
the 3rd etc etc .........

Rick
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article . com
Mungo wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Actually the thing that gets me is the recursive installation problem.

Is that not just a loop, instead of "recursive"?

No, because you have to do something before you can do it - in a loop
you'd just do it over and over.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grumpy owd man

Or...in the days before they invented 'Tile edging strip '; set up your
circular-
saw bench with a stone cutting disc, mitre ALL of your external corner
tiles so as to provide a neat edge. THEN realise you have mitred for an
internal corner not an external one. AND ...since they were all cut to
size they were no use for anywhere else....Whoops

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian Stirling wrote:
After examining your excellent new concrete works, discover that the
flex for the concrete mixer goes through them.

Thats easy. Cut the flex and leave it for 'time team 3000' and fit new flex.

reckon thats what I'd have done. Whatever you were building needed
mains power.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pete C

wrote:

After examining your excellent new concrete works, discover that the
flex for the concrete mixer goes through them.

After accidentally vacuuming up a vital and unique screw, do not put
it in your holed shorts pocket after carefully going through the
dustbag in the garden.

Then having found the screw after ages spent on hands and knees in the
dirt, remember to put a new bag in the vacuum ready for use next time.

Also when throwing out the old bag and not replacing it with a new
one, remember to retain the bag holder for when it's needed a few
weeks later....

cheers,
Pete.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
taz

When your strimmer starts to emit clouds of smoke and stop working,
switch off the mains BEFORE cutting the wire off with a pair of
scissors...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DJC

Rob Morley wrote:
In article . com
Mungo wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Actually the thing that gets me is the recursive installation problem.

Is that not just a loop, instead of "recursive"?

No, because you have to do something before you can do it - in a loop
you'd just do it over and over.

not necessarily. if tai recursive then it's equivalent to a loop.

--
David Clark
http://www.publishing.ucl.ac.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian White

Pete C wrote:

After accidentally vacuuming up a vital and unique screw, do not put it
in your holed shorts pocket after carefully going through the dustbag
in the garden.

Then having found the screw after ages spent on hands and knees in the
dirt, remember to put a new bag in the vacuum ready for use next time.

Also when throwing out the old bag and not replacing it with a new one,
remember to retain the bag holder for when it's needed a few weeks
later....

Not your best of all days, was it?

--
Ian White

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Eric The Viking

"DJC" wrote in message
. uk...
Rob Morley wrote:
In article . com
Mungo wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Actually the thing that gets me is the recursive installation problem.

Is that not just a loop, instead of "recursive"?

No, because you have to do something before you can do it - in a loop
you'd just do it over and over.

not necessarily. if tai recursive then it's equivalent to a loop.

--

Recursion and looping are different.

Looping is where you just repeat the same thing over and over again.

Recursion is where the thing you are doing causes the thing you are doing to
happen.

....however I am unable to determine whether this part of the discussion is
recursive, or is just becoming repetitive;-)

ETV

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mungo

Rob Morley wrote:
In article . com
Mungo wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Actually the thing that gets me is the recursive installation problem.

Is that not just a loop, instead of "recursive"?

No, because you have to do something before you can do it - in a loop
you'd just do it over and over.

Hmmm... sounds like a circular dependency chain, hence a "loop".

Mungo

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Eric The Viking

"Mungo" wrote in message
oups.com...

Rob Morley wrote:
In article . com
Mungo wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Actually the thing that gets me is the recursive installation
problem.

Is that not just a loop, instead of "recursive"?

No, because you have to do something before you can do it - in a loop
you'd just do it over and over.

Hmmm... sounds like a circular dependency chain, hence a "loop".

Mungo

A loop is when you repeat the same sequence of things until the job is done,
the tiling issue was more like a chicken and egg problem which is kind of
recursive.

ETV

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

"Eric The Viking" writes:

Recursion: to curse and curse again...

That sounds more like it.

Twas on the monday morning that the gas man came to call..
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

A loop is when you repeat the same sequence of things until the job is
done, the tiling issue was more like a chicken and egg problem which is
kind of recursive.

ETV

Talking about chickens and egg mysteries:

One of my bantams went broody so last Thursday I got some fertile eggs to
slip under her, I was advised that five would be a good number, they like
odd numbers.

The next day I saw that she'd kicked one out and later that to the resulting
four a fifth had been added - laid by our other bantams who normally lays in
a different coop. I removed it.

This morning I found another fifth egg from the other bantam.

Since the first is sitting tight at all times except when I lift her to make
her eat and drink (and the other is also out) I want to know how these extra
eggs are getting under the broody. And when is the second bantie laying -
and how is she getting her egg under the bossy broodie?

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Eric The Viking" writes:

Recursion: to curse and curse again...

That sounds more like it.

Twas on the monday morning that the gas man came to call..

Someone had to say it!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills

Mary Fisher wrote:

Talking about chickens and egg mysteries:

One of my bantams went broody so last Thursday I got some fertile
eggs to slip under her, I was advised that five would be a good
number, they like odd numbers.

The next day I saw that she'd kicked one out and later that to the
resulting four a fifth had been added - laid by our other bantams who
normally lays in a different coop. I removed it.

This morning I found another fifth egg from the other bantam.

Since the first is sitting tight at all times except when I lift her
to make her eat and drink (and the other is also out) I want to know
how these extra eggs are getting under the broody. And when is the
second bantie laying - and how is she getting her egg under the bossy
broodie?
Mary

You'll have to set up a video camera, to find out. g
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

Talking about chickens and egg mysteries:

One of my bantams went broody so last Thursday I got some fertile
eggs to slip under her, I was advised that five would be a good
number, they like odd numbers.

The next day I saw that she'd kicked one out and later that to the
resulting four a fifth had been added - laid by our other bantams who
normally lays in a different coop. I removed it.

This morning I found another fifth egg from the other bantam.

Since the first is sitting tight at all times except when I lift her
to make her eat and drink (and the other is also out) I want to know
how these extra eggs are getting under the broody. And when is the
second bantie laying - and how is she getting her egg under the bossy
broodie?
Mary

You'll have to set up a video camera, to find out. g

That's an idea.

The coop (an Eglu) is small and unlit, I suspect it must be happening at
night. If I undertake this exercise again I'll bear that in mind, she can
sit somewhere else.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian White

Huge wrote:
Do not dismantle your faulty cesspit pump on the ground next to
the cesspit, then knock it over, causing several vital parts to
fly into the cesspit.

Do not kneel down to inspect a full cesspit if you own a goat.

(Happened to a friend. Fortunately he didn't go all the way in... only
his head.)

--
Ian White
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Owain" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
You'll have to set up a video camera, to find out. g

That's an idea.
The coop (an Eglu) is small and unlit, I suspect it must be happening at
night. If I undertake this exercise again I'll bear that in mind, she can
sit somewhere else.

The small and cheap CCTV cameras have little built-in infra-red lights, so
work in darkness and won't disturb the hens' sleep.

Oh - I didn't know that. I was thinking of my webcam.

Mary

making dogs and things for made bench holes bent Woodworking 10 March 21st 06 11:02 PM
trying to source a couple of things curiosity Woodworking 0 February 17th 05 09:29 PM
Riding mower doing weird things... Xlar54 Home Repair 7 June 27th 04 09:15 PM
OT-John Kerry Gunner Metalworking 137 February 11th 04 07:38 PM
Things I wish I'd realised [email protected] UK diy 3 September 15th 03 02:13 AM