Posted to rec.woodworking
bent

Default making dogs and things for made bench holes

I am gonna make a bench. I need to acquire the accessories before I build
a bench to suit. But how can I acquire as much as possible. How can I make
the accessories , and can you give any tips on bench construction to go
along w/ them, so I can get the most out of it. Particularly, I am
interested in how to make a vise/clamp for the front &/or sides for holding
things like doors against the legs and all different types of dogs. Any
tips, even the obvious, like the apron can't overhang. I'll trust you.
Especially how to make the things that you put in the holes. Materials and
construction These can get expensive, and there so many types, and you
always need eight of each right. Can I make these first out of
commmon/cheap materials rather than buy ? I'm thinking I prob need dozens!?
What kind of an angle do you put on the holes w/r/t the vise or esch other,
if any? And I'm thinking of buying a Mastercraft 7-in. Woodworker Vise
http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=140847439 6669770&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441899307&ASSORT MENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395438793&bmUID=1142918633 747&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true.
What is the advantage of this over a mechanics swivel vise, which I have
already? This will be potted into the bench top somehow/ removable. I'll
be thinking of both, and where to put them.
I'll get some hardboard for a working cover

So far I think I know that I want to drill 3/4" holes, spaced by just less
than, & in line with the length of my max vise opening.

I'd like some: (& therefore how do I make these?)

holdfasts - just force type that wedge down, and look like an upside down L,
for direct downward clamping. You could hammeer up & down for grip?

handscrew holdfasts - for manual fine-tuning of direct downward clamping
with a threaded whatever

fulcrum type handscrew holdfasts

sideways pushing/pulling threaded handscrew dogs/stops

bench stops, or bench dogs - to push against, either w/ vise or other

heres where I got some ides some ideas:
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/Se...x?c=2&action=n

I don't even know how to make the top/legs. I think I'll put adjustable
bottom furniture leveller screws into 2x4 or similar and flip up rollers for
movability, other than that I'm confused!! I am prob not into threaded
rods, but may use 4x 4 for legs in the front.

Posted to rec.woodworking
bent

oh yes, underneath is for storage only, like plastic roller shelving. I'm
gonna build for max openness. Need no reason to integrate drawers/cabinets
under! if I could I'd build it w/o legs! But its gonna be movable. I
could make a mounting plate against its fixed drywall resting back wall
positon.

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom

You might purchase "The Workbench Book" by Scott Landis/Taunton Press.
Lots of information to help with your design considerations, from
purpose perspectives to accoutrements. Angling your dogholes about 87
degrees can help hold your stock to the benchtop, or you could angle
your dogs' faces. Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking
bent

angling 87°, are we talking drill the bit at that angle, or a tapered hole?
I believe. Would I just pick my approach, and tilt?

the book with its 350 drawings and photos from the library is in my lap. I
just don't have time to read it all. Please don't acuse me of anything,
just don't.

Posted to rec.woodworking
bent

not you,

its just one of those things that ain't popping into the noggin

dowel stock, machine screws, and .... hmmm, that and 50 cents, ya know

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom

Angle the bit 3-4 degrees toward the vise. "The" book? It's worth a
thorough reading. Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking
bent

what do ya call those nuts that are a cylinder shape?

Posted to rec.woodworking
bent

woops, "toward the vise". - At the top, the hole would be closer than at the
bottom. And if I wanted to make a section of benchtop to work against one
another( itself), same thing, closer at the tops?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels

I know a lot of people make a big deal out of bench dogs. I found a nice,
small maple bench for a good price. The dog holes were 3/8 inches. I wasn't
going to put much money into this bench. I will save that for when I have
sufficient room and funds.

So I just cut off some 3/8 inch bolts. There were holes in the end vise to
match the dog holes in the bench. So four bolts will hold almost anything I
need to do. I cut a set of four short bolts and four long bolts.

I forget what I paid for the bolts. But it was much less than what Rob Lee
charges for his fine breeds of bench canines.

Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 01:02:25 -0500, "bent" wrote:

IMO, Ken Vaughn is my hero on work bench accessories... check out this page (and
I suggest the whole site)

http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65j/bench.html

[...]

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

Posted to rec.woodworking
charlie b

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/...CBbench35.html

charliel b

Allthread for my bench top? AAvK Woodworking 14 March 7th 06 04:28 AM
Plans for bench Jon Woodworking 43 August 13th 05 02:14 PM
Dogs and centering things in tailstock Rick Metalworking 2 May 9th 05 04:17 PM
Veritas twin-screw vise install report Mike in Mystic Woodworking 14 November 27th 03 05:11 PM
workbench finished: Sam Allen's joiner's bench with Veritas twin-screw end vise Mike in Mystic Woodworking 26 November 22nd 03 05:56 AM