Rick

Default Dogs and centering things in tailstock

"Ignoramus20962" wrote in
message ...
I apologize for making this ignorant post.

I need some brushing up on keeping things properly centered in a

lathe.

There are, really, two methods for keeping long rods centered. One

is
making sure that both ends are supported, and another is making sure
that the middle is supported. The "dogs" are for supporting the
middle.

I would like a short primer on what are the tools called that

support
the end near tailstock, and also, how to use dogs.

I have a dog, which I have ont tried, and some piece that goes into
tailstock and is conical on the other end. I am a little confused

that
it is not free spinning. How can it, then, be used to support the
other side? Wouldn't it be exposed to constant wear?

I guess you're talking about live/dead centers for the tailstock, and
steady/follower rests. There is an excellent chapter on lathe
fundamentals authored by the US Army at the Metal Web News. I'd post a
link but the site is not working for me right now...

Tim Wescott

Ignoramus20962 wrote:

I apologize for making this ignorant post.

I need some brushing up on keeping things properly centered in a lathe.

There are, really, two methods for keeping long rods centered. One is
making sure that both ends are supported, and another is making sure
that the middle is supported. The "dogs" are for supporting the
middle.

I would like a short primer on what are the tools called that support
the end near tailstock, and also, how to use dogs.

I have a dog, which I have ont tried, and some piece that goes into
tailstock and is conical on the other end. I am a little confused that
it is not free spinning. How can it, then, be used to support the
other side? Wouldn't it be exposed to constant wear?

The conical thing in the back is a turning center. If it's one solid
piece it's called a "dead center" and you have to lubricate it as well
as pay attention to how tight you crank down the tailstock. You can get
live rests, which have bearings.

The "dog" that you're referring to is a steady follower. I've never had
occasion to use one, so I won't comment further.

Usually if you're standing next to a lathe a "dog" is either (a) a
canine that you keep around the shop for company (short-haired breeds
are best as you can comb the chips out easier), (b) a really
troublesome, poorly made or maintained piece of machinery, or (c) a
drive dog, which clamps onto a workpiece that is held in a center in the
headstock and driven from the grooves in the faceplate. Neither (a) or
(b) would have any application in your case (unless you have a dog
that's a real dog, or you have trained your dog to fetch your dog).

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Rick

[...]

Here's the link I mentioned in a previous post.....

http://metalwebnews.com/machine-tools/fmt.html