Posted to rec.woodworking
bent

Default making dogs and things for made bench holes

I am gonna make a bench. I need to acquire the accessories before I build
a bench to suit. But how can I acquire as much as possible. How can I make
the accessories , and can you give any tips on bench construction to go
along w/ them, so I can get the most out of it. Particularly, I am
interested in how to make a vise/clamp for the front &/or sides for holding
things like doors against the legs and all different types of dogs. Any
tips, even the obvious, like the apron can't overhang. I'll trust you.
Especially how to make the things that you put in the holes. Materials and
construction These can get expensive, and there so many types, and you
always need eight of each right. Can I make these first out of
commmon/cheap materials rather than buy ? I'm thinking I prob need dozens!?
What kind of an angle do you put on the holes w/r/t the vise or esch other,
if any? And I'm thinking of buying a Mastercraft 7-in. Woodworker Vise
http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=140847439 6669770&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441899307&ASSORT MENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395438793&bmUID=1142918633 747&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true.
What is the advantage of this over a mechanics swivel vise, which I have
already? This will be potted into the bench top somehow/ removable. I'll
be thinking of both, and where to put them.
I'll get some hardboard for a working cover

So far I think I know that I want to drill 3/4" holes, spaced by just less
than, & in line with the length of my max vise opening.

I'd like some: (& therefore how do I make these?)

holdfasts - just force type that wedge down, and look like an upside down L,
for direct downward clamping. You could hammeer up & down for grip?

handscrew holdfasts - for manual fine-tuning of direct downward clamping
with a threaded whatever

fulcrum type handscrew holdfasts

sideways pushing/pulling threaded handscrew dogs/stops

bench stops, or bench dogs - to push against, either w/ vise or other

heres where I got some ides some ideas:
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/Se...x?c=2&action=n

I don't even know how to make the top/legs. I think I'll put adjustable
bottom furniture leveller screws into 2x4 or similar and flip up rollers for
movability, other than that I'm confused!! I am prob not into threaded
rods, but may use 4x 4 for legs in the front.