Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT - Two things ...

On Jan 16, 9:07*am, "Swingman" wrote:

Seems like ALL quarterbacks are doing that little leg jerk before the snap
when in a shotgun formation. I noticed it in the HS games being broadcast,
in the college games, and in the pro games?

Ahem... not a sports buff myself, but I do enjoy a good baseball game
immensely.

But... the leg pump in the shotgun formation was created due of the
fact that the guys on the field literally cannot hear the snap count.
In the shotgun where they are a few feet away, I think most
quarterbacks have complained that when playing on another's home turf
they cannot hear anything. So think about the center, literally
pointed the other way trying to pick up the count...

So it becomes a timing issue, with the QB yelling as loudly as he can
to draw off sides the other team if possible. The snap from the
center then becomes based on visual cues; a leg pump, then a two count
then "hike", or a leg pump and a one count, or an immediate transfer
in some cases. This awkward looking moment was actually born out of
necessity.

Living in San Antonio, we have the Spurs, and our +/- 25,000 capacity
arena in which they play. The ATT Center is ften voted as the loudest
NBA venue by NBA teams and fans. During playoffs (or any Dallas game)
it is so loud in the arena that you literally cannot hear the person
sitting beside you when the crowds get going. Literally. And your
ears ring for hours when you leave.

Imagine a bigger venue, but more radical fans, and at least three
times as many of them in a dome or small stadium...

I guess it's pretty obvious that it's raining here, too...

Robert
(wishing I was in the middle of a large garage repair now instead of
at home drinking coffee putting off f'ing paperwork)