Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default And things were going so well.

Doing a set of turned lidded boxes - in recycled old growth redwood -
for a charity auction. Had one done - the smallest of the set of 3,
the medium sized one waiting for the epoxy to dry on the finial
to lid joint and the third, largest one almost ready for drilling
the hole in the lid for the finial tenon.

Despite caveats in the One Procedure for Turning a Lidded Box
I put together and posted earlier to a.b.p.w., I didn't check the
wall thickness as frequently as I should have. Got wrapped up
in watching what was happening to the inside wall - sanding
and looking if the previous grit's scratches were gone, that
I forgot to check the wall thickness. BIG mistake.

Will make it a point to include the pics I've posted in
alt.binaries.pictures.woodwkring - same subject line as
this message - on the appropriate page of the instructions
once I get them up on my web site.

Check wall thickness often - or suffer the consequences.

charlie b
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Ccharlie
Sounds like a box as big as all outdoors. I have a few like that.

______
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS, Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com
"charlie b" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I live in Eureka, CA. Redwoods everywhere here. There's a guy a few miles
away that sells burl on-line. Actually there's a few of them around, but he
is closest and has a cargo container full of burl, curly and birds-eye
redwood blocks, 12"x12"x12" or around that size. I'm still growing balls
big enough to purchase and chuck one up on the lathe. It's hard to pick out
a block too. The grain is going every which way. They also have 3 or 4
bins full of waste redwood that is free for the picking. It's mostly end
pieces, crotches and odd shaped stuff they don't have time to deal with. A
little chain saw and band saw work makes them into useable lathe material
for me. I'm going to dull my turning tools on those first especially after
seeing what happened to you with your turning experience. I made a rolling
pin from one a couple weeks ago. Bonus points with the wife . I'll post
a picture so you can see what typical wood looks like in case you're
interested. Pretty rough amateur level work, but hey a step up from file
handles.. You can imagine much nicer looking handles with coves and beads,
I'm sure..

"charlie b" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

one of the things you can do when you turn through the side of something is
to stop and think - "how could I turn this into a feature" - for example,
insert a band of contrasting wood reshape inside and out, and glue the top
back on
"charlie b" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

William Noble wrote:

one of the things you can do when you turn through the side of something is
to stop and think - "how could I turn this into a feature" - for example,
insert a band of contrasting wood reshape inside and out, and glue the top
back on

Great idea. Tried that. But when you have 1/8th inch walls - and
less
- and your in the hemispherical paft of the lid - and it's redwood
-well
the choices narrow down pretty quickly. But I tried anyway - and blew
up the rest of the lid (surprise!) SO - I removed the lip on the bottom
part and now I have - drum roll please ----- a short cup, desk
organizer,
small bonsai tree pot, . . .

Jim:

Do / did you own a Robland X31 or have a relative who lived/lives in
Tahoe
who makes guitars?

charlie b

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

No, but I'd like to on both accounts. I posted a picture of my lathe on
alt. binaries.pictures.woodworking.back on 9/10 under " What a coat of Paint
and new bearings will do to an old lathe". Its an old Craftsman built in
the late thirties. I retired a few months ago and now finally..!! have the
time to spend playing/creating with wood almost full-time. Wife has a few
ideas for my time too. Life is good.. Went up to Almquist lumber today
(our local hardwood dealer). They had some ~4" thick 12" x 12" +/- spalted
myrtle cut from a "seasoned log" $22.50 each. Sitting right out in front of
the Robert Sorby bowl gouges. Tempting on both accounts. They also had some
Koa in 4" slaps of various widths/lengths $30+ per B.F. Yikes..!

"charlie b" wrote in message
William Noble wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

another thing that works well is a band of silver, or brass, or bronze, or
even gold (gold filled sheet is not very expensive)
or cut a clean, or a purposefully ragged edge on both pieces and space them
apart with stainless wire, or ..... there are so many ways - one of the
pieces I have in a local gallery that I like a lot came about because I was
turning a thin walled ash bowl and there was a flaw in the wood, so the top
shattered - cut it straight and it shattered again - so I stopped and cut
the edges into a wave shape, colored it, and it looks really great - of
course I still need someone to buy it, but it looks good......

"charlie b" wrote in message
William Noble wrote:

[...]

It seems things are cheaper now but also cheaply made, am I paraniod? NN Electronics Repair 25 August 30th 06 11:07 PM
making dogs and things for made bench holes bent Woodworking 10 March 21st 06 11:02 PM
Riding mower doing weird things... Xlar54 Home Repair 7 June 27th 04 09:15 PM
OT-John Kerry Gunner Metalworking 137 February 11th 04 07:38 PM
Things I wish I'd realised [email protected] UK diy 3 September 15th 03 02:13 AM