Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Jim Hall Jim Hall is offline

Default And things were going so well.

No, but I'd like to on both accounts. I posted a picture of my lathe on
alt. binaries.pictures.woodworking.back on 9/10 under " What a coat of Paint
and new bearings will do to an old lathe". Its an old Craftsman built in
the late thirties. I retired a few months ago and now finally..!! have the
time to spend playing/creating with wood almost full-time. Wife has a few
ideas for my time too. Life is good.. Went up to Almquist lumber today
(our local hardwood dealer). They had some ~4" thick 12" x 12" +/- spalted
myrtle cut from a "seasoned log" $22.50 each. Sitting right out in front of
the Robert Sorby bowl gouges. Tempting on both accounts. They also had some
Koa in 4" slaps of various widths/lengths $30+ per B.F. Yikes..!

"charlie b" wrote in message
William Noble wrote:

one of the things you can do when you turn through the side of something

is
to stop and think - "how could I turn this into a feature" - for

example,
insert a band of contrasting wood reshape inside and out, and glue the

top
back on

Great idea. Tried that. But when you have 1/8th inch walls - and
less
- and your in the hemispherical paft of the lid - and it's redwood
-well
the choices narrow down pretty quickly. But I tried anyway - and blew
up the rest of the lid (surprise!) SO - I removed the lip on the bottom
part and now I have - drum roll please ----- a short cup, desk
organizer,
small bonsai tree pot, . . .

Jim:

Do / did you own a Robland X31 or have a relative who lived/lives in
Tahoe
who makes guitars?

charlie b