Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Good book for learning Drafting?

I am looking for a book that teaches drafting for home study / self
learning.

I have now bought my 2nd book from Amazon.com, and it isn't what I am
looking for. One book was a high school level text book, and most of it is
just complete the missing lines type of homework exercises, which I don't
find challenging (three chapters on drawing squares, rectangles, triangles,
and circles.) The other book spends (my estimate) 70% teaching CAD commands
and computer techniques. I don't want instructions on how to use AutoCAD,
Sketchup, TurboCAD, etc, as that will come later.

I want to develop the skills to sketch a woodworking project. I am
thinking there must be somewhere a trade (or college) level text book on
drafting that assumes I know how to draw a 90, 45, 60 degree angles, and I
know the difference between a circle and a triangle. But will teach me to
sketch in 3-D, so all the parts can be assembled on paper before I start to
cut wood.

I know how to read a 'blueprint' and know how to take measurements from a
drawing. What I have difficulty doing is converting my rough notes into a
drawing that someone else can use.

Last time I took a drafting class was over 40 years ago for one year in as a
junior in high school. Forgot a lot over the years.

TIA,
Phil

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 1, 11:44 am, "Phil-In-Mich."
wrote:
[...]

The text book I used in engineering school was titled "Engineering
Drawing" by French and Vierck published by McGraw-Hill. It was the
bible of its day and I believe will provide the information you are
seeking.It was published before the computer, so the techniques are
parallel rules, compasses and triangles, however the fundamental
knowledge is still valid.
Joe G

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 16:00:16 -0000, GROVER
wrote:

On Oct 1, 11:44 am, "Phil-In-Mich."
wrote:
[...]

The ninth edition (1960) is available from the used book sellers at
amazon.com.

Search for
Engineering Drawing Ninth Edition

John
Posted to rec.woodworking
S R S R is offline

If you want a good book to teach "3D" drawing (manual drawing, not on a
computer), then I recommend "Basic Perspective Drawing - A Visual Approach".
I have the 3rd edition. The author is John Montague, ISBN 0-471-29231-1. I
purchased it used, so I do not know if it is still in print or not. This
book is not geared towards blueprints, it is solely directed towards
thinking in 3D and applying that to drawing. If you want to improve your 3D
drawing ability, this is a good choice. The title says basic, but I feel it
is thorough.

Stephen R.

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Mon, Oct 1, 2007, 11:44am
(Phil-In-Mich.) doth lament:
I am looking for a book that teaches drafting for home study / self
learning. snip But will teach me to sketch in 3-D, so all the parts
can be assembled on paper before I start to cut wood. snip What I have
difficulty doing is converting my rough notes into a drawing that
someone else can use.
Last time I took a drafting class was over 40 years ago for one year in
as a junior in high school. Forgot a lot over the years.

Go to your local library, and/or used bookstore. Look at what
the book says before you buy one.

Only time I took a drafting class was over 50 years, high school
sophmore shop class. The teacher told us how to do it, showed a few
examples, then didn't pass us on that until we handed in a suitable
paper - including 3-D, perspectives, all that good stuff. Took some
longer than others, but we all passed. No prob. I could still do it,
if I had a drafting table, and a few basic drafting tools. Most of that
stuff I just do in my head now, maybe a rough sketch or two at times,
more often write down measurements. If I was gonna sell plans, then I'd
draft 'em out, quality master copies, then make copies - on an Xerox
machine, or go to Kinkos. All I'd need would be one good copy of each
plan. Sraight edge, architect scale, good pencil, good eraser, flat
surface, decent paper, that's about all needed, really.

JOAT
"I'm an Igor, thur. We don't athk quethtionth."
"Really? Why not?"
"I don't know, thur. I didn't athk."

Posted to rec.woodworking

Good choice Phil. Learn the basics and the CAD programs will me a bit more
intuitive.
I see you are looking for 3D. 3D and Isometric are similar but for the most
part in hand drawing 3D is mostly "art" IMHO. I suggest looking to learn
Isometric drawing. With 3D you have perspectives and diminishing points of
view. With Isometric drawings the far end will look as tall as the close
end of an object. Easier to dimension IMHO and easier to draw details. The
3D is really much easier to do with a computer doing all the work.

"Phil-In-Mich." wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Phil-In-Mich." wrote in message
I am looking for a book that teaches drafting for home study / self
learning.
I want to develop the skills to sketch a woodworking project. I am
thinking there must be somewhere a trade (or college) level text book on
drafting that assumes I know how to draw a 90, 45, 60 degree angles, and I
know the difference between a circle and a triangle. But will teach me to
sketch in 3-D, so all the parts can be assembled on paper before I start
to cut wood.

I know how to read a 'blueprint' and know how to take measurements from a
drawing. What I have difficulty doing is converting my rough notes into a
drawing that someone else can use.

Three-view drawings are still the best for visualizing dimension, proportion
and joinery. Cabinetmaking and Millwork, an ancient woodworking text by
Feirer, has good stuff in it.

Guess that shows my age.

Posted to rec.woodworking

{snip}
The ninth edition (1960) is available from the used book sellers at
amazon.com.

Search for
Engineering Drawing Ninth Edition

John

Joe and John:

Yes, I did find the Amazon links for used books you recommended. Price seem
right, so I just may try for the 1960, or 1963 edition.

Thanks for the leads.

Phil

Posted to rec.woodworking

"S R" no email @ no spam.com wrote in message
If you want a good book to teach "3D" drawing (manual drawing, not on a
computer), then I recommend "Basic Perspective Drawing - A Visual
Approach". I have the 3rd edition. The author is John Montague, ISBN
0-471-29231-1. I purchased it used, so I do not know if it is still in
print or not. This book is not geared towards blueprints, it is solely
directed towards thinking in 3D and applying that to drawing. If you want
to improve your 3D drawing ability, this is a good choice. The title says
basic, but I feel it is thorough.

Stephen R.

Stephen:
I found that book at my local library web page catalog. I may look that one
up.
Thanks for the suggestion. I think I want to try the Engineering Drawing
book
Joe and John recommended 1st. Although the Leon's suggestion on Isometric
has me intrigued.

Phil

Posted to rec.woodworking

3D and Isometric are similar but for the most
part in hand drawing 3D is mostly "art" IMHO. I suggest looking to learn
Isometric drawing. With 3D you have perspectives and diminishing points
of view. With Isometric drawings the far end will look as tall as the
close end of an object. Easier to dimension IMHO and easier to draw
details. The 3D is really much easier to do with a computer doing all the
work.

Leon:

Ah, I had to look that one up. Isometric, eh??
I need to look more into that. Let me see what Joe and John's
recommendation has to say on the subject.
Thanks
Phil

Posted to rec.woodworking

Three-view drawings are still the best for visualizing dimension,
proportion
and joinery. Cabinetmaking and Millwork, an ancient woodworking text by
Feirer, has good stuff in it.

George:

Just to let you know, at Amazon the hard cover book by Feirer 1970 edition
is going for $39.95
The 1989 edition of that book (used) has an asking price of $128.34
$128.34?????????
Ah, do you, or anyone, think the 1989 edition THAT much improved?
Think I will take JT's advise and check this book to be in a local library.

Phil

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Mon, Oct 1, 2007, 10:49pm
(Phil-In-Mich.) doth sayeth:
Just to let you know, at Amazon the hard cover book by Feirer 1970
edition is going for $39.95 snip

Quickie check:
http://www.allbookstores.com/book/compare/0870023748

JOAT
"I'm an Igor, thur. We don't athk quethtionth."
"Really? Why not?"
"I don't know, thur. I didn't athk."

Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

Engineering Drawing, Eigth Edition, 1953,

French & Vierck

Library of Congress Catalog Card 52-13455

All I can say is I survived my college drafting, and went on to put
myself thru school with money earned on the drafting board.

Have fun.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Phil-In-Mich." wrote in message

Three-view drawings are still the best for visualizing dimension,
proportion
and joinery. Cabinetmaking and Millwork, an ancient woodworking text by
Feirer, has good stuff in it.

George:

Just to let you know, at Amazon the hard cover book by Feirer 1970 edition
is going for $39.95
The 1989 edition of that book (used) has an asking price of $128.34
$128.34?????????
Ah, do you, or anyone, think the 1989 edition THAT much improved?
Think I will take JT's advise and check this book to be in a local
library.

Mine was the 70. I see the 89 has a different cover, but no, I'd go for the
cheaper. Information's maybe updated, but the 70 book had Delta pictures
from the 40's in it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Phil-In-Mich." wrote in message

3D and Isometric are similar but for the most
part in hand drawing 3D is mostly "art" IMHO. I suggest looking to learn
Isometric drawing. With 3D you have perspectives and diminishing points
of view. With Isometric drawings the far end will look as tall as the
close end of an object. Easier to dimension IMHO and easier to draw
details. The 3D is really much easier to do with a computer doing all
the work.

Leon:

Ah, I had to look that one up. Isometric, eh??
I need to look more into that. Let me see what Joe and John's
recommendation has to say on the subject.
Thanks
Phil

3D is what the draftsman uses to display a drawing to the client that needs
a lot of help visualizing. Isometric is in a format that all those involved
in the development, drawing, and manufacturing will use if they need more
than a 3 view drawing. Isometric drawings are drawn with a T-square and a
30-60-90 degree triangle with lots of parallel lines. No other angles are
used for a square or rectangular object. With 3D there are in infinite
number of angles with very very few parallel lines except for those that are
perpendicular to a horizontal plane.
Actually any decent drafting book will cover Isometric drawing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Phil-In-Mich. wrote:

I am looking for a book that teaches drafting for home study / self
learning.

.... snip

I want to develop the skills to sketch a woodworking project. I am
thinking there must be somewhere a trade (or college) level text book on
drafting that assumes I know how to draw a 90, 45, 60 degree angles, and I
know the difference between a circle and a triangle. But will teach me to
sketch in 3-D, so all the parts can be assembled on paper before I start
to cut wood.

I know how to read a 'blueprint' and know how to take measurements from a
drawing. What I have difficulty doing is converting my rough notes into a
drawing that someone else can use.

Last time I took a drafting class was over 40 years ago for one year in as
junior in high school. Forgot a lot over the years.

The book, "Engineering Design Graphics" by James H Earle was what we used
in our college drafting course. Good coverage of design concepts and
isometric drawing. Library of Congress Catalog No. 76-2931 (Can't find an
ISBN)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"snip

Check to see what book your local junior college uses and buy a used one.

A Good Book?? John UK diy 3 November 14th 05 11:27 AM
Good book Jim Stewart Metalworking 2 April 25th 05 02:53 AM
A Good book for Cliff jon_banquer Metalworking 2 April 18th 05 10:16 AM
Somewhat OT, Good book Charles Morrill Metalworking 4 December 29th 04 02:45 PM