Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Good book for learning Drafting?

Good choice Phil. Learn the basics and the CAD programs will me a bit more
intuitive.
I see you are looking for 3D. 3D and Isometric are similar but for the most
part in hand drawing 3D is mostly "art" IMHO. I suggest looking to learn
Isometric drawing. With 3D you have perspectives and diminishing points of
view. With Isometric drawings the far end will look as tall as the close
end of an object. Easier to dimension IMHO and easier to draw details. The
3D is really much easier to do with a computer doing all the work.

"Phil-In-Mich." wrote in message
I am looking for a book that teaches drafting for home study / self
learning.

I have now bought my 2nd book from Amazon.com, and it isn't what I am
looking for. One book was a high school level text book, and most of it
is just complete the missing lines type of homework exercises, which I
don't find challenging (three chapters on drawing squares, rectangles,
triangles, and circles.) The other book spends (my estimate) 70% teaching
CAD commands and computer techniques. I don't want instructions on how to
use AutoCAD, Sketchup, TurboCAD, etc, as that will come later.

I want to develop the skills to sketch a woodworking project. I am
thinking there must be somewhere a trade (or college) level text book on
drafting that assumes I know how to draw a 90, 45, 60 degree angles, and I
know the difference between a circle and a triangle. But will teach me to
sketch in 3-D, so all the parts can be assembled on paper before I start
to cut wood.

I know how to read a 'blueprint' and know how to take measurements from a
drawing. What I have difficulty doing is converting my rough notes into a
drawing that someone else can use.

Last time I took a drafting class was over 40 years ago for one year in as
a junior in high school. Forgot a lot over the years.

TIA,
Phil