Posted to rec.woodworking
John John is offline

Default Good book for learning Drafting?

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 16:00:16 -0000, GROVER
wrote:

On Oct 1, 11:44 am, "Phil-In-Mich."
wrote:
I am looking for a book that teaches drafting for home study / self
learning.

I have now bought my 2nd book from Amazon.com, and it isn't what I am
looking for. One book was a high school level text book, and most of it is
just complete the missing lines type of homework exercises, which I don't
find challenging (three chapters on drawing squares, rectangles, triangles,
and circles.) The other book spends (my estimate) 70% teaching CAD commands
and computer techniques. I don't want instructions on how to use AutoCAD,
Sketchup, TurboCAD, etc, as that will come later.

I want to develop the skills to sketch a woodworking project. I am
thinking there must be somewhere a trade (or college) level text book on
drafting that assumes I know how to draw a 90, 45, 60 degree angles, and I
know the difference between a circle and a triangle. But will teach me to
sketch in 3-D, so all the parts can be assembled on paper before I start to
cut wood.

I know how to read a 'blueprint' and know how to take measurements from a
drawing. What I have difficulty doing is converting my rough notes into a
drawing that someone else can use.

Last time I took a drafting class was over 40 years ago for one year in as a
junior in high school. Forgot a lot over the years.

TIA,
Phil

The text book I used in engineering school was titled "Engineering
Drawing" by French and Vierck published by McGraw-Hill. It was the
bible of its day and I believe will provide the information you are
seeking.It was published before the computer, so the techniques are
parallel rules, compasses and triangles, however the fundamental
knowledge is still valid.
Joe G

The ninth edition (1960) is available from the used book sellers at
amazon.com.

Search for
Engineering Drawing Ninth Edition

John