Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default Good book for learning Drafting?

Mon, Oct 1, 2007, 11:44am
(Phil-In-Mich.) doth lament:
I am looking for a book that teaches drafting for home study / self
learning. snip But will teach me to sketch in 3-D, so all the parts
can be assembled on paper before I start to cut wood. snip What I have
difficulty doing is converting my rough notes into a drawing that
someone else can use.
Last time I took a drafting class was over 40 years ago for one year in
as a junior in high school. Forgot a lot over the years.

Go to your local library, and/or used bookstore. Look at what
the book says before you buy one.

Only time I took a drafting class was over 50 years, high school
sophmore shop class. The teacher told us how to do it, showed a few
examples, then didn't pass us on that until we handed in a suitable
paper - including 3-D, perspectives, all that good stuff. Took some
longer than others, but we all passed. No prob. I could still do it,
if I had a drafting table, and a few basic drafting tools. Most of that
stuff I just do in my head now, maybe a rough sketch or two at times,
more often write down measurements. If I was gonna sell plans, then I'd
draft 'em out, quality master copies, then make copies - on an Xerox
machine, or go to Kinkos. All I'd need would be one good copy of each
plan. Sraight edge, architect scale, good pencil, good eraser, flat
surface, decent paper, that's about all needed, really.

JOAT
"I'm an Igor, thur. We don't athk quethtionth."
"Really? Why not?"
"I don't know, thur. I didn't athk."