Posted to rec.woodworking

Default AIR LINES

I was into a Amish window factory the other day and their air lines
caught my eye. They used 3" PVC pipe for all their air lines
suspended from the ceiling with supports and T's with snap couplers at
all the work stations. They used brass gas line couplers for shut
offs for the various branches. A 8" pressure gauge noted 145# PSI at
the end of the line. What are the Plusses for this type of system
other than the line acting as a storage media? I didn't see any water
separators and was wondering if they were using a engine driven
compressor in the cold and drawing cold air into the compressor and
bringing it in a warm shop what effect this type of line would have?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Interesting.

If that is 3" DWV pipe, I don't think I'd go back in there. I understand it
isn't good for pressure lines, and will shatter and blow plastic shrapnel
all over the place.

And they don't use it in the summer when it is warm and humid?

Old Guy

"BT98" wrote in message
oups.com...
I was into a Amish window factory the other day and their air lines
caught my eye. They used 3" PVC pipe for all their air lines
suspended from the ceiling with supports and T's with snap couplers at
all the work stations. They used brass gas line couplers for shut
offs for the various branches. A 8" pressure gauge noted 145# PSI at
the end of the line. What are the Plusses for this type of system
other than the line acting as a storage media? I didn't see any water
separators and was wondering if they were using a engine driven
compressor in the cold and drawing cold air into the compressor and
bringing it in a warm shop what effect this type of line would have?

Posted to rec.woodworking

BT98 wrote:

I was into a Amish window factory the other day and their air lines
caught my eye. They used 3" PVC pipe for all their air lines
suspended from the ceiling with supports and T's with snap couplers at
all the work stations.

That's a bomb waiting to explode.

Definitely would not catch me in the place.

BTW, the concept is good, it's the PVC that is a problem.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

Unless this place was by a nicely moving creek and had either a waterwheel
or a pack of apprentices taking turns on the bicycle powering the
compressor, you wern't in an Amish shop.

:P

"BT98" wrote in message
oups.com...
I was into a Amish window factory the other day and their air lines
caught my eye. They used 3" PVC pipe for all their air lines
suspended from the ceiling with supports and T's with snap couplers at
all the work stations. They used brass gas line couplers for shut
offs for the various branches. A 8" pressure gauge noted 145# PSI at
the end of the line. What are the Plusses for this type of system
other than the line acting as a storage media? I didn't see any water
separators and was wondering if they were using a engine driven
compressor in the cold and drawing cold air into the compressor and
bringing it in a warm shop what effect this type of line would have?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 3, 6:02 pm, "Myxylplyk" wrote:
Unless this place was by a nicely moving creek and had either a waterwheel
or a pack of apprentices taking turns on the bicycle powering the
compressor, you wern't in an Amish shop.

I have heard that diesel engines are allowed. I will look into this.

Posted to rec.woodworking

We got wood from a place called Amish Hardwoods around Burton, Ohio.
The land of snow, maple syrup and Amish buggies. Yes they looked Amish
to me. They had some of the coolest power tools I ever saw at my young
age of 20. Huge circular saws, power debarkers, kilns. It might be
more a question of how strict they are but I guess those guys strayed.
I read that the community leaders can decide on thngs like modern
cooling systems for their milk so they can sell for higher prices.

This article suggest that they need to feed themselves and land is
expensive so they might turn to jobs off the farm.
http://geography.uwo.ca/research/gre...oweryNoble.pdf

I read somewhere that the other benefit of metal pipe besides being
less prone to blow up it that is helps condensate the compressed air.
I doubt that it is really that effective as I recall plenty of spray
in a shop I worked in that had metal air plumbing.

On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 18:02:04 -0500, "Myxylplyk"
wrote:

Unless this place was by a nicely moving creek and had either a waterwheel
or a pack of apprentices taking turns on the bicycle powering the
compressor, you wern't in an Amish shop.

:P

"BT98" wrote in message
roups.com...
I was into a Amish window factory the other day and their air lines
caught my eye. They used 3" PVC pipe for all their air lines
suspended from the ceiling with supports and T's with snap couplers at
all the work stations. They used brass gas line couplers for shut
offs for the various branches. A 8" pressure gauge noted 145# PSI at
the end of the line. What are the Plusses for this type of system
other than the line acting as a storage media? I didn't see any water
separators and was wondering if they were using a engine driven
compressor in the cold and drawing cold air into the compressor and
bringing it in a warm shop what effect this type of line would have?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Myxylplyk wrote:
Unless this place was by a nicely moving creek and had either a
waterwheel or a pack of apprentices taking turns on the bicycle
powering the compressor, you wern't in an Amish shop.

That's not necessarily the case. The Amish don't seem to have any real
trouble with using steam or internal combustion engines to power
stationary or portable machinery, it's just self-propelled vehicles that
they seem to have trouble with.

People confuse the Amish with luddites--they aren't anti-technology but
they look really hard at how any given use of it will affect their
community and their values before they allow its general adoption.

"BT98" wrote in message
oups.com...
I was into a Amish window factory the other day and their air lines
caught my eye. They used 3" PVC pipe for all their air lines
suspended from the ceiling with supports and T's with snap couplers
at all the work stations. They used brass gas line couplers for shut
offs for the various branches. A 8" pressure gauge noted 145# PSI at
the end of the line. What are the Plusses for this type of system
other than the line acting as a storage media? I didn't see any
water separators and was wondering if they were using a engine driven
compressor in the cold and drawing cold air into the compressor and
bringing it in a warm shop what effect this type of line would have?

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
On Mar 3, 6:02 pm, "Myxylplyk" wrote:

Unless this place was by a nicely moving creek and had either a waterwheel
or a pack of apprentices taking turns on the bicycle powering the
compressor, you wern't in an Amish shop.

I have heard that diesel engines are allowed. I will look into this.

A few years back I stopped into an Amish woodworking shop In East Otto,
NY and was surprised to see a brand new Unisaw in the shop. The owner
must have read my face because the first thing he said is, "It's allowed
as long as it isn't powered off the grid".

He was running it off a generator tied to a Chevy V8.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 3, 5:23 pm, Lew Hodgett wrote:
BT98 wrote:

I was into a Amish window factory the other day and their air lines
caught my eye. They used 3" PVC pipe for all their air lines
suspended from the ceiling with supports and T's with snap couplers at
all the work stations.

That's a bomb waiting to explode.

Definitely would not catch me in the place.

BTW, the concept is good, it's the PVC that is a problem.

Lew

I checked out the pipe at Home Depot and the PSI ratings on this pipe
and it is almost double than what they are running on it. It looked
like the outside diameter was about 3 inch. This place is on the
corner of 700 and Shed road. That may be in Burton, Ohio.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Mar 3, 6:02 pm, "Myxylplyk" wrote:
Unless this place was by a nicely moving creek and had either a

waterwheel
or a pack of apprentices taking turns on the bicycle powering the
compressor, you wern't in an Amish shop.

I have heard that diesel engines are allowed. I will look into this.

I was in an Amish home and it was explained that they won't use electricity
from the power company but they had refrigerators and freezers supplied by
gasoline generators.

B.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3 Mar 2007 16:29:06 -0800, "BT98" wrote:

I checked out the pipe at Home Depot and the PSI ratings on this pipe
and it is almost double than what they are running on it.

The problem is that most PVC pipe is not UV stabilized.

If it's painted or enclosed, great. If not, it probably gets brittle
with age.

I lost count of how many PVC shop aids, truck racks, work stands,
storage devices, etc... that I made that became brittle and simply
crumpled with sunlight exposure.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
BT98 wrote:

I was into a Amish window factory the other day and their air lines
caught my eye. They used 3" PVC pipe for all their air lines
suspended from the ceiling with supports and T's with snap couplers at
all the work stations.

That's a bomb waiting to explode.

Definitely would not catch me in the place.

BTW, the concept is good, it's the PVC that is a problem.

Lew

Maybe it's ABS pipe instead?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Myxylplyk wrote:
Unless this place was by a nicely moving creek and had either a

waterwheel
or a pack of apprentices taking turns on the bicycle powering the
compressor, you wern't in an Amish shop.

The Amish are allowed to use internal combustions for stationary power.

My dad used to sell oil and grease to them.

Among other things, they power thrashing machines using a flat belt
between the engine and the thrashing machine.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

Buddy Matlosz wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Mar 3, 6:02 pm, "Myxylplyk" wrote:
Unless this place was by a nicely moving creek and had either a
waterwheel or a pack of apprentices taking turns on the bicycle
powering the compressor, you wern't in an Amish shop.

I have heard that diesel engines are allowed. I will look into this.

I was in an Amish home and it was explained that they won't use
electricity from the power company but they had refrigerators and
freezers supplied by gasoline generators.

http://www.uwec.edu/geography/Ivogel...pian/amish.htm has links
near the top to some fascinating charts about Amish use of technology.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"BT98" wrote in message
ups.com...
I checked out the pipe at Home Depot and the PSI ratings on this pipe
and it is almost double than what they are running on it. It looked
like the outside diameter was about 3 inch. This place is on the
corner of 700 and Shed road. That may be in Burton, Ohio.

Pressure ratings for PVC are given for liquids not air. Couple that with
the damage from UV on those pipes and it's tendency to go brittle with time,
and well, let's just say I wouldn't use PVC for air lines.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Unless this place was by a nicely moving creek and had either a waterwheel
or a pack of apprentices taking turns on the bicycle powering the
compressor, you wern't in an Amish shop.

Not necessarily true. It depends upon where they are and what their
bishop will allow. I've seen articles where they use engines to power
milkers saying that's OK as long as the engine is not making a vehicle
move. I've also seen an 80's vintage White tractor for sale on the Old
Tractors web page indicating it came from an Amish farm. It had steel
wheels -- apparently rubber was the forbidden item -- I guess insulation
for the cables and wires was OK.

:P

"BT98" wrote in message
roups.com...
I was into a Amish window factory the other day and their air lines
caught my eye. They used 3" PVC pipe for all their air lines
suspended from the ceiling with supports and T's with snap couplers at
all the work stations. They used brass gas line couplers for shut
offs for the various branches. A 8" pressure gauge noted 145# PSI at
the end of the line. What are the Plusses for this type of system
other than the line acting as a storage media? I didn't see any water
separators and was wondering if they were using a engine driven
compressor in the cold and drawing cold air into the compressor and
bringing it in a warm shop what effect this type of line would have?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 3, 7:28 pm, Nova wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
On Mar 3, 6:02 pm, "Myxylplyk" wrote:

Unless this place was by a nicely moving creek and had either a waterwheel
or a pack of apprentices taking turns on the bicycle powering the
compressor, you wern't in an Amish shop.

I have heard that diesel engines are allowed. I will look into this.

A few years back I stopped into an Amish woodworking shop In East Otto,
NY and was surprised to see a brand new Unisaw in the shop. The owner
must have read my face because the first thing he said is, "It's allowed
as long as it isn't powered off the grid".

He was running it off a generator tied to a Chevy V8.

Many years ago, I think it was FWW which featured an article about an
Amish shop which ran entirely off hydraulic and air motors. The main
power plant was a diesel which ran compressors and/or hydraulic pumps,
I am not entirely certain which was the main power supply. IIRC, the
routers were air driven.
Diesels do not require any electrical auxiliary equipment, and can be
started off compressed air, which can either be saved from when the
diesel last ran, or pumped up by hand.
I was always under the impression that sharing a network of electrical
devices with sinners was the reason for their prohibition.

r.
Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:
:
: I was in an Amish home and it was explained that they won't use
: electricity from the power company but they had refrigerators and
: freezers supplied by gasoline generators.

If the point of avoiding grid electricity is to not share a system
used by English (outsiders), how do they justify making use of
a gas distribution system used by English? Or, for that matter, roads
made and used by them? is there any internal logic here?

: http://www.uwec.edu/geography/Ivogel...pian/amish.htm has links
: near the top to some fascinating charts about Amish use of technology.

Fascinating, and hard to fathom.

-- Andy Barss
Posted to rec.woodworking

Andrew Barss wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:

I was in an Amish home and it was explained that they won't use
electricity from the power company but they had refrigerators and
freezers supplied by gasoline generators.

If the point of avoiding grid electricity is to not share a system
used by English (outsiders), how do they justify making use of
a gas distribution system used by English? Or, for that matter, roads
made and used by them? is there any internal logic here?

If you google "Amish electricity" you'll find a lot of weirdness and a
few sites that actually address this seriously. It seems to be one of
those deals where they decided that the tradeoff between utility and
effect on the community was unfavorable.

It doesn't seem to be a matter of objecting to "sharing a system used by
the English", it seems to be more a matter of not wanting to be at the
mercy of the power company and of concern over sociological side
effects.

With regard to the roads, they pay taxes too--there's no downside to the
roads other than the risk of getting rearended (at least none that I
know of--is walking on pavement harmful to horses?), they've already
paid their share of the construction and upkeep costs, and building
their own system of parallel roads would, I'm sure, be viewed as
prideful, so I don't see why they would want to avoid using the public
roads.

When considering the Amish, first make up your mind that they are _not_
crazies. They have reasons for what they do that make sense within
their value system, but their value system is not that of mainstream
society, and one of their priorities seems to be keeping it that way.

http://www.uwec.edu/geography/Ivogel...pian/amish.htm has
links near the top to some fascinating charts about Amish use of
technology.

Fascinating, and hard to fathom.

Seems to show that there are some universals--note what technology 95
percent of Amish have adopted--mechanically powered washing machines.
And one wonders how many elders' wives' headaches suddenly vanished when
_that_ decision was made.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nova wrote:
A few years back I stopped into an Amish woodworking shop In East Otto,
NY and was surprised to see a brand new Unisaw in the shop. The owner
must have read my face because the first thing he said is, "It's allowed
as long as it isn't powered off the grid".

He was running it off a generator tied to a Chevy V8.

It reminds me of my grandfather when one day we went to a store he had sworn
he'd never use again: "Anger is one thing but business is business."

Sounds like the Amish are reaching a bit to justify what everybody else has
already accepted: that we upgrade our circumstances as required. If the Amish
were really as old fashioned as the stereotype would suggest, they'd walk
instead of riding in one of those newfangled horse drawn carriages.

Practicality usually wins out.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
Nova wrote:
A few years back I stopped into an Amish woodworking shop In East
Otto, NY and was surprised to see a brand new Unisaw in the shop.
The owner must have read my face because the first thing he said is,
"It's allowed as long as it isn't powered off the grid".

He was running it off a generator tied to a Chevy V8.

It reminds me of my grandfather when one day we went to a store he
had sworn he'd never use again: "Anger is one thing but business is
business."

Sounds like the Amish are reaching a bit to justify what everybody
else has already accepted: that we upgrade our circumstances as
required. If the Amish were really as old fashioned as the
stereotype would suggest, they'd walk instead of riding in one of
those newfangled horse drawn carriages.

Practicality usually wins out.

That's the thing, they aren't "old fashioned", just careful about what
changes they make and when they make them.

They don't seem to be opposed to change, but they seem determined that
they are going to control the changes rather than letting the changes
control them. They don't forbid their people to have cars because cars
are "newfangled", their reasons are more complex than that--they've
watched what happened in the "English" world when everybody had cars and
they aren't OK with it.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 3, 3:39 pm, "BT98" wrote:
I was into a Amish window factory the other day and their air lines
caught my eye. They used 3" PVC pipe for all their air lines
suspended from the ceiling with supports and T's with snap couplers at
all the work stations. They used brass gas line couplers for shut
offs for the various branches. A 8" pressure gauge noted 145# PSI at
the end of the line. What are the Plusses for this type of system
other than the line acting as a storage media? I didn't see any water
separators and was wondering if they were using a engine driven
compressor in the cold and drawing cold air into the compressor and
bringing it in a warm shop what effect this type of line would have?

The biggest industrial users of pipe are oil refineries, petrochemical
and chemical plants.The specifications for the piping they use is
governed by various technical Societies (API etc). They will not
permits PVC in compressed air sevice for the reasons mentioned here by
others.

One piece of equipment the big guys can afford is an air drier which
uses dessicant beds to dry the air. If someone made a low priced unit
woodwookers could use it for sprayi guns and pneumatic tools.

I have seen cabinet shops which fabricated a labyrinth of pipe down
stream of their compessor to allow the moist compessed air some heat
transfer exposure to the ambient air thereby cooling it to below the
dew point. Seems an inexpensive way to improve the quality of air in
small woodworking shops.

Joe G

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

I was in an Amish home and it was explained that they won't use
electricity
from the power company but they had refrigerators and freezers supplied by
gasoline generators.

B.

And the gas they put *into* those generators?

Oh, I get it, the power company uses technology to produce electricity and
that's bad, but the gas was made by dinosaurs, so that's ok. Wait, made
*from* dinosaurs. Hmmm. What if the power company's electricity is
produced from a dam? Then it's not different because both groups use
running water to power things. Is that OK? I'm confused. Also, what if
the topography of the area doesn't even allow for water to run down hill
thereby eliminating that power source?

I think I have it. To run the refrigerators and such off of electricity
generated by their own water power in a topographically challenged area,
they use a pump to get the water from the lower holding pond to the upper
holding pond so it can continue to run over the wheel (that's recycling,
folks) powered by a generator which is run off of squeezins from organically
grown corn from the still out back.

Before anyone gets in a tizzy, it *is* meant to be humorous.

Posted to rec.woodworking

A tractor service shop in town uses 1" CPVC for all their air lines.
(the light tan stuff) They've used it for the last 18 years without
incident. Their system is at 150 PSI leaving the compressor. Air is
used for wrenches, tires, hammers, and etc. Parts of the system gets
some direct sunlight when the bay doors are open. There are large
skylights but they are corregated plexi and diffuse the light.
They completely drain the system each night and power it back up each
morning.
I found it much less of a hassle to hang two reels, one at each end of
my shop and connect them with air hoses. But then, I'm not working in
a six bay shop, either.
Gene

On Mar 3, 9:02 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"BT98" wrote in message

I checked out the pipe at Home Depot and the PSI ratings on this pipe
and it is almost double than what they are running on it. It looked
like the outside diameter was about 3 inch. This place is on the
corner of 700 and Shed road. That may be in Burton, Ohio.

But is that water or air rating? When water bursts, it just flows out and
does not have the explosive force of compressed air. Both OSHA forbids it
and the makers of the pipe recommend against using it for air.

Posted to rec.woodworking

i wouldn"t use pvc airlines, jet blue either
ross

Posted to rec.woodworking

GROVER wrote:

I have seen cabinet shops which fabricated a labyrinth of pipe down
stream of their compessor to allow the moist compessed air some heat
transfer exposure to the ambient air thereby cooling it to below the
dew point. Seems an inexpensive way to improve the quality of air in
small woodworking shops.

Have posted a description of a shop air distribution system using 2"
pipe several times in the past.

Costs a few $ and takes a little time to install; however the rewards
are significant and include:

1) Cooler and drier air.
2) Increased storage capacity which allows longer off cycles for the
compressor which also helps produce drier air.
3) More uniform air pressure for longer periods delivered to the air tool.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe wrote:
I was in an Amish home and it was explained that they won't use
electricity
from the power company but they had refrigerators and freezers
supplied by gasoline generators.

B.

And the gas they put *into* those generators?

Oh, I get it, the power company uses technology to produce
electricity and that's bad, but the gas was made by dinosaurs, so
that's ok. Wait, made *from* dinosaurs.

I don't think that the Amish think in terms of "technology bad".
You're confusing them with liberals and econuts.

I think it's more a matter of "what happens in our community if we adopt
this technology" and instead of opining based in little information they
look at "well, the 'English' have been using it now for over a hundred
years and here is what has happened with them--we have all these
benefits on this side and all these costs (not just financial or
environmental) on this side--are the benefits worth the costs?" For a
generator-driven Unisaw apparently it works out that they are, for
general connection to the electrical grid, apparently it works out that
they aren't.

Hmmm. What if the power
company's electricity is produced from a dam? Then it's not
different because both groups use running water to power things. Is
that OK? I'm confused. Also, what if the topography of the area
doesn't even allow for water to run down hill thereby eliminating
that power source?

It's different because the source of power seems to be irrelevant to
them--what is important is that on-grid electrical power brings in all
sorts of what they see as liabilities that don't have anything at all
to do with electricity pe se or the means by which it is generated but
rather have to do with the kinds of interactions with outside society
that are required in order to have it installed and which will be made
much easier once it is in place. For example, by going on grid they
then become bound by the electrical code, which while it doesn't control
how they use it exactly, does require that it be implemented in a way
that constitutes temptation to use it in ways that they see as harmful
to the community. And by having circuits all over the house now it
becomes _easy_ to have a radio or television or cell phone where all of
those were more difficult when there was one generator in the workshop
and no permanent wiring.

I think I have it. To run the refrigerators and such off of
electricity generated by their own water power in a topographically
challenged area, they use a pump to get the water from the lower
holding pond to the upper holding pond so it can continue to run over
the wheel (that's recycling, folks) powered by a generator which is
run off of squeezins from organically grown corn from the still out
back.

Actually, most of their refrigerators and the like are gas-fired, not
electric. Having electricity in the house at all would be very
liberal--some do but it's not mainstream.

Before anyone gets in a tizzy, it *is* meant to be humorous.

Which it would be if their concerns about technology were based in the
issues that you address.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"DZIN" wrote in message
oups.com...
A tractor service shop in town uses 1" CPVC for all their air lines.
(the light tan stuff) They've used it for the last 18 years without
incident. Their system is at 150 PSI leaving the compressor.

It may go another 18 years but it can go tomorrow. There are real incidents
of air lines rupturing and thus, the reason for not using it.
http://www.osha.gov/dts/hib/hib_data/hib19880520.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Unless this place was by a nicely moving creek and had either a waterwheel
or a pack of apprentices taking turns on the bicycle powering the
compressor, you wern't in an Amish shop.

They seem to have some sort of bizzarre philosphy that is made up on
the fly.

I was in one of those Amish towns a while ago, and was bemused to see
one of their horse-drawn buggies pull up at the gas station and fill
up several 2-3 gal gas cans. I asked a lady in the Amish shop why
that was, and the reply was that it's for generators, the use of
generators is permitted as the power is "under their control" ie it
does not come from the grid where some other (non believer?) contorls
it.

I pointed out that the generators were probably made in Japan or China
and presumably not under their control either and questioned how that
could fit. The reply was that Amish philosphy/law was arrived at by a
wise old council of men.

It's like most religions, there's nothing rational about it.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

Before anyone gets in a tizzy, it *is* meant to be humorous.

Which it would be if their concerns about technology were based in the
issues that you address.

sigh.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
nk.net...

Have posted a description of a shop air distribution system using 2" pipe
several times in the past.

I have google groups open and you've posted a lot on this. If you don't
mind I'd appreciate (a) link(s) to the message(s) you consider the most
relevant.

Thanks.

-- Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark Jerde wrote:

I have google groups open and you've posted a lot on this. If you don't
mind I'd appreciate (a) link(s) to the message(s) you consider the most
relevant.

Don't have any links, but consider the following:

You want to construct a closed rectangular loop around your shop using
2"pipe.

2" is about as big as you can easily thread by hand.

Using 60" long, 2" nipples and 2x2x3/4 tees, along with a union allows
you to do this.

You also need four (4), 2x2x2 tees with plugs for the corners.

Arrange the tees so that the 3/4 side is facing up.

Install two (2), 3/4 street ells at each tee so that the opening is now
facing down.

This forces the air to change directions by 180 degrees, which helps the
water to drop out.

That's about it.

Hope this helps.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark Jerde wrote:

[...]

Yes it does Lew, thanks. In the nexxt 12 months I hope to be able to afford
to move to another state and build a shop. Good air is one of the things I
want in the shop.

-- Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

You could say that driving drunk is not a good idea and someone would post
saying how they know someone who has done it for 20 years. It still doesn't
make it a good idea.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
t...

It may go another 18 years but it can go tomorrow. There are real

incidents
of air lines rupturing and thus, the reason for not using it.
http://www.osha.gov/dts/hib/hib_data/hib19880520.html

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

True.

wrote:

It's like most religions, there's nothing rational about it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark Jerde wrote:

Yes it does Lew, thanks. In the nexxt 12 months I hope to be able to

afford
to move to another state and build a shop. Good air is one of the

things I
want in the shop.

Couple of tips:

1) Pitch the loop so one corner is low, then install your drain there.
2) It will cost you a few$, but install regulators along with any
lubricators required at the point of usage.

The above allows the pipe loop to be at full compressor pressure which
will provide not only cooler, but drier air.

Have fun.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 4 Mar 2007 06:33:34 -0500, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote:

Nova wrote:
A few years back I stopped into an Amish woodworking shop In East Otto,
NY and was surprised to see a brand new Unisaw in the shop. The owner
must have read my face because the first thing he said is, "It's allowed
as long as it isn't powered off the grid".

He was running it off a generator tied to a Chevy V8.

It reminds me of my grandfather when one day we went to a store he had sworn
he'd never use again: "Anger is one thing but business is business."

Sounds like the Amish are reaching a bit to justify what everybody else has
already accepted: that we upgrade our circumstances as required. If the Amish
were really as old fashioned as the stereotype would suggest, they'd walk
instead of riding in one of those newfangled horse drawn carriages.

Practicality usually wins out.

My understanding of their original reasoning was that something had to be
found in scripture before they would use it. Thus, no buttons because
buttons aren't in the Bible. Same thing with electricity and other modern
conveniences. However, there are chariots and other horse-drawn
conveyances mentioned in the Bible, thus, by default they were OK. It
seems that they have made some accomodations more recently and as one
poster has indicated, they are trying to be discerning on what they bring
in to attempt to exclude what they view as negative influences.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 19:46:13 GMT, "Mark Jerde"
wrote:

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

.... snip
to move to another state and build a shop. Good air is one of the things I
want in the shop.

Yes, good air is a good idea, makes the shop environment more pleasant
than bad air. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 21:50:46 GMT, Lew Hodgett
wrote:

2) It will cost you a few$, but install regulators along with any
lubricators required at the point of usage.

You can save a few bucks by putting quick connects on the regulators
and lube units and connecting them where and when you need them.

I actually prefer a regulator right at the tool for spraying and with
smaller nail guns.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"DZIN" wrote in message
roups.com...
A tractor service shop in town uses 1" CPVC for all their air lines.
(the light tan stuff) They've used it for the last 18 years without
incident. Their system is at 150 PSI leaving the compressor.

It may go another 18 years but it can go tomorrow. There are real incidents
of air lines rupturing and thus, the reason for not using it.
http://www.osha.gov/dts/hib/hib_data/hib19880520.html

Is the CPVC considered just as bad as PVC for air or ?? I know the regular
plumbing grade CPVC is somewhat more flexible compared to PVC, perhaps
it is less likely to shatter when it ruptures.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf.lonestar.org

Replumb air lines question Shopdog Woodworking 11 June 6th 06 11:39 AM
Air in Water Lines? Leo Home Repair 10 August 5th 05 02:45 AM
Compressed air lines Groggy Woodworking 54 January 8th 05 04:51 AM
Questions on installing air lines asdf Metalworking 9 November 22nd 04 02:41 AM
copper for air lines? Barry Jarrett Metalworking 11 September 9th 03 07:18 PM