Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default AIR LINES

Myxylplyk wrote:
Unless this place was by a nicely moving creek and had either a
waterwheel or a pack of apprentices taking turns on the bicycle
powering the compressor, you wern't in an Amish shop.

That's not necessarily the case. The Amish don't seem to have any real
trouble with using steam or internal combustion engines to power
stationary or portable machinery, it's just self-propelled vehicles that
they seem to have trouble with.

People confuse the Amish with luddites--they aren't anti-technology but
they look really hard at how any given use of it will affect their
community and their values before they allow its general adoption.

"BT98" wrote in message
oups.com...
I was into a Amish window factory the other day and their air lines
caught my eye. They used 3" PVC pipe for all their air lines
suspended from the ceiling with supports and T's with snap couplers
at all the work stations. They used brass gas line couplers for shut
offs for the various branches. A 8" pressure gauge noted 145# PSI at
the end of the line. What are the Plusses for this type of system
other than the line acting as a storage media? I didn't see any
water separators and was wondering if they were using a engine driven
compressor in the cold and drawing cold air into the compressor and
bringing it in a warm shop what effect this type of line would have?

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)