asdf

Default Questions on installing air lines

I'm installing a compressed air system in my shop and have a few
questions. It's a home made system with components I bought
separately.

1. Does it matter (for performance reasons) where the output
and input of the tank are located? Should one be higher or
lower than the other? Could they be the same? (by using a tee)

2. Should the lines drain back toward the tank or away from
it?

3. Black pipe? Galvanized?

4. What PSI do you run at your tank?
Gunner

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 03:36:31 GMT, asdf wrote:

I'm installing a compressed air system in my shop and have a few
questions. It's a home made system with components I bought
separately.

1. Does it matter (for performance reasons) where the output
and input of the tank are located? Should one be higher or
lower than the other? Could they be the same? (by using a tee)

2. Should the lines drain back toward the tank or away from
it?

3. Black pipe? Galvanized?

4. What PSI do you run at your tank?

The answer is 42

Gunner

Come shed a tear for Michael Moore-
Though he smirked and lied like a two-bit whore
George Bush has just won another four.
Poor, sad little Michael Moore

Diogenes
Grant Erwin

asdf wrote:
I'm installing a compressed air system in my shop and have a few
questions. It's a home made system with components I bought
separately.

1. Does it matter (for performance reasons) where the output
and input of the tank are located? Should one be higher or
lower than the other? Could they be the same? (by using a tee)

2. Should the lines drain back toward the tank or away from
it?

3. Black pipe? Galvanized?

4. What PSI do you run at your tank?

http://www.tptools.com/statictext/ai...ng-diagram.pdf
Anthony

asdf wrote in news:33Und.7398$pK6.7190
@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

I'm installing a compressed air system in my shop and have a few
questions. It's a home made system with components I bought
separately.

1. Does it matter (for performance reasons) where the output
and input of the tank are located? Should one be higher or
lower than the other? Could they be the same? (by using a tee)

2. Should the lines drain back toward the tank or away from
it?

3. Black pipe? Galvanized?

4. What PSI do you run at your tank?

Personally, when we piped our last one we put a separate inlet/outlet,
both at the top of the tank, but opposite sides. This gives a little
time for water to get out of the air in the tank prior to going to the
tools.
We put a large drip-leg (4" pipe, about 18" long) between the compressor
and the tank, and coming out of the tank, and again inside where the pipe
came through the wall, as well as sloped each pipe around the wall toward
the corners and a small drip leg installed there also . There are
programmable dump valves on all three large drip legs, as well as the
tank drain. All fittings come out the top side of the pipe, as is
standard pneumatic plumbing practice.
We used a coil of 3/4" copper tubing vertically out of the tank, this
acts as a heat sink and helps get water out. A high pressure air-to-air
heat exchanger will work also (think high pressure radiator with a fan).
There is a water separator/filter/regulator where the pipe comes through
the wall, after the drip leg. This is the main filter/regulator for the
system, and with this arraingement and regular, daily use year round, the
separator only needs drained every couple of months, sans spring, when
the humidity is horrible around here, it's a weekly job during that time.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

joe

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 03:36:31 GMT, asdf wrote:

I'm installing a compressed air system in my shop and have a few
questions. It's a home made system with components I bought
separately.

1. Does it matter (for performance reasons) where the output
and input of the tank are located? Should one be higher or
lower than the other? Could they be the same? (by using a tee)

Yes, it matters. Use two seperate openings. one in, usually on top
cause dats where da pump is. Second, outlet normally half way up on
tank, reservoir. Your tank catches most of the moisture dat way.
Unless you like gittin mist in yer puss everytime you use air.
2. Should the lines drain back toward the tank or away from
it?

Don't matter. Install a Tee when turning a corner or every hunnert
yards, wit a drain valve.
3. Black pipe? Galvanized?

don't matter, it's what you can afford. Don't use garden hose, keeps
bursting, more trouble den it's wert.
4. What PSI do you run at your tank?

About 150 or 175, but it's a two stage compressor. You'll never see
dat from a singlestage. 100-120 if single, if that psi doesn't
overheat yer pump or motor. I can't think of any air tool that ever
had too much psi, eventhough most state 90 is good. 120 is better.
asdf

Grant Erwin wrote:
asdf wrote:

I'm installing a compressed air system in my shop and have a few
questions. It's a home made system with components I bought
separately.

1. Does it matter (for performance reasons) where the output
and input of the tank are located? Should one be higher or
lower than the other? Could they be the same? (by using a tee)

2. Should the lines drain back toward the tank or away from
it?

3. Black pipe? Galvanized?

4. What PSI do you run at your tank?

http://www.tptools.com/statictext/ai...ng-diagram.pdf

Great diagram! Thanks!
asdf

Anthony wrote:
[...]

Oh yeah!!! Wait till I tell the wife I need programmable dump valves!!!

Gunner

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 16:12:35 -0500, "Shawn" shawn_75ATcomcastDOTnet
wrote:

Thanks for all the fish, Gunner. :-)

Shawn

The other also equally valid answer...is "shopping"

Gunner

.. .