Posted to rec.woodworking
Dan Dan is offline

Default Shop vac dust collection: hose sources?

A follow up on the thread on using a shop vac as a dust collector. I
have a Ridgid vac with 2 1/4" hoses, however the connection at the vac
is of the clip on type (hose end clips in with a small tab, rather than
friction fit, so you can drag the vac around by the hose without it
pulling out), and the actual vac inlet opening is closer to 2 11/16". I
would like to use this as a dust collector on my Bosch slide miter saw,
which has a 1 1/2" dust collection fitting. Would like to use about 12
feet of 1 1/2" hose to connect the vac to the saw. I can't find
anything like this, there appear to be some places that can make it up,
but they're pretty expensive (~$100). Anyone know where I can get a
hose of the type I need for a reasonable price?

TIA

Dan
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dan wrote:
A follow up on the thread on using a shop vac as a dust collector. I
have a Ridgid vac with 2 1/4" hoses, however the connection at the vac
is of the clip on type (hose end clips in with a small tab, rather than
friction fit, so you can drag the vac around by the hose without it
pulling out), and the actual vac inlet opening is closer to 2 11/16". I
would like to use this as a dust collector on my Bosch slide miter saw,
which has a 1 1/2" dust collection fitting. Would like to use about 12
feet of 1 1/2" hose to connect the vac to the saw. I can't find
anything like this, there appear to be some places that can make it up,
but they're pretty expensive (~$100). Anyone know where I can get a
hose of the type I need for a reasonable price?

TIA

Dan

a source for high quality hose of that general type is any swimming
pool supply house. you'll have to make up your own ends, but they have
the hose.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dan wrote:
A follow up on the thread on using a shop vac as a dust collector. I
have a Ridgid vac with 2 1/4" hoses.....I
would like to use this as a dust collector on my Bosch slide miter saw,
which has a 1 1/2" dust collection fitting.

Try looking for an adapter to connect a short length of narrow hose to
your existing hose.

On my non-slider I just use the full size hose with an adapter directly
coupled to the saw.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 11:51:21 -0700, Dan wrote:

A follow up on the thread on using a shop vac as a dust collector. I
have a Ridgid vac with 2 1/4" hoses, however the connection at the vac
is of the clip on type (hose end clips in with a small tab, rather than
friction fit, so you can drag the vac around by the hose without it
pulling out), and the actual vac inlet opening is closer to 2 11/16". I
would like to use this as a dust collector on my Bosch slide miter saw,
which has a 1 1/2" dust collection fitting. Would like to use about 12
feet of 1 1/2" hose to connect the vac to the saw. I can't find
anything like this, there appear to be some places that can make it up,
but they're pretty expensive (~$100). Anyone know where I can get a
hose of the type I need for a reasonable price?

TIA

Dan

The vac hoses I've seen are expensive. At this point you should
consider moving up to a DC and use the 4" hoses to draw a larger
volume--that will catch a lot more dust and your lungs will appreciate
it. A shop vac is still useful to have around.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Dan Dan is offline

Chris Friesen wrote:
Dan wrote:
A follow up on the thread on using a shop vac as a dust collector. I
have a Ridgid vac with 2 1/4" hoses.....I
would like to use this as a dust collector on my Bosch slide miter
saw, which has a 1 1/2" dust collection fitting.

Try looking for an adapter to connect a short length of narrow hose to
your existing hose.

On my non-slider I just use the full size hose with an adapter directly
coupled to the saw.

Chris

Thanks Chris, yeah I think that would work on most stationary tools like
a table saw, but especially given the sliding/compound mitering aspect
of this saw, I think the big hose may prove a bit cumbersome. I cound
use it for all but the last 5 feet or so, again if I can find suitable
1.5" hose/adapters/couplers.

Dan

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dan Dan is offline

Phisherman wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the reply. No doubt a real DC system is much more effective,
the problem is, I don't have much room in my garage work space. At the
moment I only have the miter saw & a drill press, though I'm leaning
toward getting a router table, not sure where I'll put it! Before I
moved, I had a Unisaw, I don't even think I could squeeze a contractor's
saw in this very tight 2 car garage.

Dan
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dan" wrote in message
. ..
A follow up on the thread on using a shop vac as a dust collector. I have
a Ridgid vac with 2 1/4" hoses, however the connection at the vac is of the
clip on type (hose end clips in with a small tab, rather than friction fit,
so you can drag the vac around by the hose without it pulling out), and the
actual vac inlet opening is closer to 2 11/16". I would like to use this
as a dust collector on my Bosch slide miter saw, which has a 1 1/2" dust
collection fitting. Would like to use about 12 feet of 1 1/2" hose to
connect the vac to the saw. I can't find anything like this, there appear
to be some places that can make it up, but they're pretty expensive
(~$100). Anyone know where I can get a hose of the type I need for a
reasonable price?

TIA

Dan

Think duct tape! :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

I do not know which model of Bosch saw you have, but if the dust port is on
the top of the blade guard, then any connection to a vac or dust collector
will be ineffective.

I have a Bosch SCMS and even when made a temporary adaptor to directly
attach my Fein shop vac, which has the best suction of any of my earlier
shop vacs, the result was disappointing.

The root cause is that most of the dust particles are propelled forward and
not much is carried upward by the blade.

This is reinforced when I see the latest models which now have dust ports
forward of the blade.

What I found worked for me was a happy accident. I had attached the vac
hose with a brush fitting of my shop vac to the temporary adaptor at the top
of the blade guard. During the cut the vac hose came loose and the brush
end came to rest in front of the SCMS head which holds the sliding rods and
so the brush was in front of the blade. To my surprise this caught more of
the dust than ever before.

So now when I use the SCMS, I merely lay the vac hose and brush fitting in
front of the head. I actually leave the blade guard port open and do not
seem to be getting any dust out of this port with my arrangement.

Poor mans front facing dust collection design.

Dave Paine.

"Dan" wrote in message
. ..
A follow up on the thread on using a shop vac as a dust collector. I have
a Ridgid vac with 2 1/4" hoses, however the connection at the vac is of the
clip on type (hose end clips in with a small tab, rather than friction fit,
so you can drag the vac around by the hose without it pulling out), and the
actual vac inlet opening is closer to 2 11/16". I would like to use this
as a dust collector on my Bosch slide miter saw, which has a 1 1/2" dust
collection fitting. Would like to use about 12 feet of 1 1/2" hose to
connect the vac to the saw. I can't find anything like this, there appear
to be some places that can make it up, but they're pretty expensive
(~$100). Anyone know where I can get a hose of the type I need for a
reasonable price?

TIA

Dan

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 11:51:21 -0700, Dan wrote:

A follow up on the thread on using a shop vac as a dust collector. I
have a Ridgid vac with 2 1/4" hoses, however the connection at the vac
is of the clip on type (hose end clips in with a small tab, rather than
friction fit, so you can drag the vac around by the hose without it
pulling out), and the actual vac inlet opening is closer to 2 11/16". I
would like to use this as a dust collector on my Bosch slide miter saw,
which has a 1 1/2" dust collection fitting. Would like to use about 12
feet of 1 1/2" hose to connect the vac to the saw. I can't find
anything like this, there appear to be some places that can make it up,
but they're pretty expensive (~$100). Anyone know where I can get a
hose of the type I need for a reasonable price?

TIA

Dan

Dan... maybe something like this??

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...t=1,42401&ap=1

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 16:55:16 GMT, Monroe wrote:

Ditto. I've tried a number of things with my Bosch slider (again, the
as-built dust collection port worked poorly with every conceivable
customization). I had finally found a "sweet spot" toward the front,
albeit, I'm still trying to figure something better than my duct tape
connection to hold in place. Thinking in terms of some type of
shroud assembly for that general area.

I use the crapsman, so I'm not sure who makes it or what brand it's like, but
this worked pretty well for me:

I had several old 2x4's that were going to be firewood so I used them to sort of
test where the saw was kicking out the most crap...
I'd vacuum the area around the saw, make a few cuts and note where it shot the
most dust...

It seemed like with or with out dust collection, most was shooting back and
down, sort of between the vac port and the zero clearance plate..
I put the bag back on the port and put a DC hood (I think they called it a
jointer hood) on the table behind the saw, in the path of the crap coming off
the blade... seems to work pretty well for me.. YMWV

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dan wrote in
:

A follow up on the thread on using a shop vac as a dust collector. I
have a Ridgid vac with 2 1/4" hoses, however the connection at the vac
is of the clip on type (hose end clips in with a small tab, rather
than friction fit, so you can drag the vac around by the hose without
it pulling out), and the actual vac inlet opening is closer to 2
11/16". I would like to use this as a dust collector on my Bosch
slide miter saw, which has a 1 1/2" dust collection fitting. Would
like to use about 12 feet of 1 1/2" hose to connect the vac to the
saw. I can't find anything like this, there appear to be some places
that can make it up, but they're pretty expensive (~$100). Anyone
know where I can get a hose of the type I need for a reasonable price?

TIA

Dan

I did this something similar to this with some hose I picked up at the
local hardware store to hook up my P-C 89x to my shop vac. The hose was
fiber-reinforced to prevent it from collapsing under vacuum. Cost was
around $.90/ft. I used a "standard" 2-1/2" multi-step adapter to make
the transition from the vac to the hose.

Worked pretty well -- much better than not using anything, and sweeping
up after.

--
I was punching a text message into my phone | Reed Snellenberger
yesterday and thought, "They need to make a | rsnellenberger

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dan Dan is offline

Tyke wrote:
[...]

Dave-Thanks for the reply. Saw is a 5412, new a couple months ago.
Looking at the saw from the right side, if the blade were a clock face
the port's at about 10, but since it sits rear of the motor, it forms a
scoop down to about the middle of the blade (9 o'clock). I've found
without the bag, a fair amount of dust does seem to spew from the port
(not that the bag manages to catch much when it IS there ;-/ ) I'll
try cobbling up some 1.5" hose to the 2.25" from the vac with duct tape,
just to see if the port is effective at all. Again I think since the
saw head moves around so much in use these are especially difficult.

Dan
Posted to rec.woodworking
Dan Dan is offline

Dave-Thanks for the reply. Saw is a 5412, new a couple months ago.
Looking at the saw from the right side, if the blade were a clock face
the port's at about 10, but since it sits rear of the motor, it forms a
scoop down to about the middle of the blade (9 o'clock). I've found
without the bag, a fair amount of dust does seem to spew from the port
(not that the bag manages to catch much when it IS there ;-/ ) I'll
try cobbling up some 1.5" hose to the 2.25" from the vac with duct tape,
just to see if the port is effective at all. Again I think since the
saw head moves around so much in use these are especially difficult.

Dan

port position, I meant looking at the saw from the LEFT side.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dan Dan is offline

mac davis wrote:

Dan... maybe something like this??

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...t=1,42401&ap=1

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

That looks like it would be quite handy in general, and not too
expensive. Thanks!

BTW, you're not the Mac Davis who was a singer about a zillion years ago
(you know, during the 70's ;-), are you?
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...1:fyem97y7kr0t

Dan

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dan Dan is offline

Tim Taylor wrote:
BTW, you're not the Mac Davis who was a singer about a zillion years ago
(you know, during the 70's ;-), are you?
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...1:fyem97y7kr0t

Dan

OUCH!!!!

You're not the Tim Taylor who had a TV show about HALF a zillion years
ago, are you?!?

Who'da thought so many CELEBRITIES were into woodworking????

All in good fun. After all, if I'm old enough to REMEMBER this crap...
well, 'nough said... ;-)

Dan
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 17:27:18 -0700, Dan wrote:

mac davis wrote:

Dan... maybe something like this??

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...t=1,42401&ap=1

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

That looks like it would be quite handy in general, and not too
expensive. Thanks!

BTW, you're not the Mac Davis who was a singer about a zillion years ago
(you know, during the 70's ;-), are you?
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...1:fyem97y7kr0t

Dan

Nah.... his real name is Morris Mac Davis.. lol

My first name is Max but I haven't used it since I was a little kid, unless I
had to for school or legal crap..
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 18:31:47 -0700, Dan wrote:

Tim Taylor wrote:
BTW, you're not the Mac Davis who was a singer about a zillion years ago
(you know, during the 70's ;-), are you?
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...1:fyem97y7kr0t

Dan

OUCH!!!!

You're not the Tim Taylor who had a TV show about HALF a zillion years
ago, are you?!?

Who'da thought so many CELEBRITIES were into woodworking????

All in good fun. After all, if I'm old enough to REMEMBER this crap...
well, 'nough said... ;-)

Dan

Sorta funny.... We go to dinner every month or so with our friend Jerry and his
wife.... I never realized the connection of his last name until a waitress asked
me if I was the "real" Mac Davis" and he said "Yeah, he is, and I'm Jerry
Reed".. rofl

Oh.. and my guy at the saw shop is Barry White..