Posted to rec.woodworking
Tyke Tyke is offline

Default Shop vac dust collection: hose sources?

I do not know which model of Bosch saw you have, but if the dust port is on
the top of the blade guard, then any connection to a vac or dust collector
will be ineffective.

I have a Bosch SCMS and even when made a temporary adaptor to directly
attach my Fein shop vac, which has the best suction of any of my earlier
shop vacs, the result was disappointing.

The root cause is that most of the dust particles are propelled forward and
not much is carried upward by the blade.

This is reinforced when I see the latest models which now have dust ports
forward of the blade.

What I found worked for me was a happy accident. I had attached the vac
hose with a brush fitting of my shop vac to the temporary adaptor at the top
of the blade guard. During the cut the vac hose came loose and the brush
end came to rest in front of the SCMS head which holds the sliding rods and
so the brush was in front of the blade. To my surprise this caught more of
the dust than ever before.

So now when I use the SCMS, I merely lay the vac hose and brush fitting in
front of the head. I actually leave the blade guard port open and do not
seem to be getting any dust out of this port with my arrangement.

Poor mans front facing dust collection design.

Dave Paine.

"Dan" wrote in message
. ..
A follow up on the thread on using a shop vac as a dust collector. I have
a Ridgid vac with 2 1/4" hoses, however the connection at the vac is of the
clip on type (hose end clips in with a small tab, rather than friction fit,
so you can drag the vac around by the hose without it pulling out), and the
actual vac inlet opening is closer to 2 11/16". I would like to use this
as a dust collector on my Bosch slide miter saw, which has a 1 1/2" dust
collection fitting. Would like to use about 12 feet of 1 1/2" hose to
connect the vac to the saw. I can't find anything like this, there appear
to be some places that can make it up, but they're pretty expensive
(~$100). Anyone know where I can get a hose of the type I need for a
reasonable price?

TIA

Dan