Posted to rec.woodworking
Locutus

Default Happy Fathers Day to me!

Wife and kids woke me up this AM telling me to come outside, I was greeted
by a brand new Ridgid TS3650 in the back of the truck.

Guess I better go make something.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Locutus" wrote in message
Wife and kids woke me up this AM telling me to come outside, I was greeted
by a brand new Ridgid TS3650 in the back of the truck.

Too bad it was not setting in your garage. :~) Good catch.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 09:36:01 -0400, "Locutus"
wrote:

Wife and kids woke me up this AM telling me to come outside, I was greeted
by a brand new Ridgid TS3650 in the back of the truck.

Guess I better go make something.

Give me your phone #. I'm going to ask your wife to come run away
with me.

Pete
Posted to rec.woodworking
Locutus

"Leon" wrote in message
.com...

"Locutus" wrote in message
Wife and kids woke me up this AM telling me to come outside, I was
greeted by a brand new Ridgid TS3650 in the back of the truck.

Too bad it was not setting in your garage. :~) Good catch.

Tell me about it, damn that thing is heavy. And it appears you need a
mechanical engineering degree to put it together...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Hedley

"Locutus" wrote in message
Wife and kids woke me up this AM telling me to come outside, I was greeted
by a brand new Ridgid TS3650 in the back of the truck.

Guess I better go make something.

My first and current TS is a 3650. My dad happened to be here when I bought
it and he helped me put it together. Took the better part of a very
enjoyable day.

The woodworking purists around here may call it less than professional
grade, but I'm amazed at how well it works. Slices through anything I've
fed it, and makes excellent, square cuts. Plus' you can't beat the
life-time parts and labor guarantee.

Your first order of business should be to make a cross-cut sled. Then a
mitre sled. Then add a router table extension (home-made, of course). Then
you need a dado blade...

Enjoy.

--Hedley
--Binge in Moderation

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Stuyck

"Hedley" wrote in message
.com...

"Locutus" wrote in message
Wife and kids woke me up this AM telling me to come outside, I was
greeted by a brand new Ridgid TS3650 in the back of the truck.

Guess I better go make something.

My first and current TS is a 3650. My dad happened to be here when I
bought it and he helped me put it together. Took the better part of a
very enjoyable day.

A DAY? Curious; why? How come?

The woodworking purists around here may call it less than professional
grade, but I'm amazed at how well it works. Slices through anything I've
fed it, and makes excellent, square cuts. Plus' you can't beat the
life-time parts and labor guarantee.

On the Home Depot web site, for the Ridgid TS3650, the warranty
info reads thusly:
"Warranty (Parts) 90-Day Satisfaction; 3 Yr Limited Service"

How did you come upon "life-time?"

Jim Stuyck

Posted to rec.woodworking
Upscale

"Jim Stuyck" wrote in message
My first and current TS is a 3650. My dad happened to be here when I
bought it and he helped me put it together. Took the better part of a
very enjoyable day.

A DAY? Curious; why? How come?

Very easy to do. Talk, unpack everything, talk some more, read instructions,
make sure everything is included that's supposed to be there, break for
lunch, talk some more, start putting saw together, talk some more, break for
a beer, finish putting saw together, do some preliminary cuts, discuss
proper alignment, dig out a straight edge, adjust blade and fence alignment,
do some more test cuts, talk some more, etcetera.

Hell, if my dad was still alive and he was over helping me put a table saw
together, I'd make damned sure it would take longer than a day just so I
could talk him into coming over for more than a day.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Locutus

"Hedley" wrote in message
.com...

"Locutus" wrote in message
[...]

I did quite a bit of research on tablesaws, and I had settled on this saw
about 3 months ago. I have not been able to find a bad review on the saw.
Everytime we would go to Home Depot my wife would see me drooling over it. I
could never bring myself to pull the trigger, I have always had a problem
purchasing large ticket items for myself as it makes me feel guilty.

After getting it unpacked, I realized I didn't have the time to put it
together, it definitely appears to be an all day job. I will tackle that
this weekend.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 10:33:53 -0400, "Locutus"
wrote:

I did quite a bit of research on tablesaws, and I had settled on this saw
about 3 months ago. I have not been able to find a bad review on the saw.
Everytime we would go to Home Depot my wife would see me drooling over it. I
could never bring myself to pull the trigger, I have always had a problem
purchasing large ticket items for myself as it makes me feel guilty.

After getting it unpacked, I realized I didn't have the time to put it
together, it definitely appears to be an all day job. I will tackle that
this weekend.

The stand/mobile base is quite an affair to get together.

I found it impossible to get the mobile base into the stand while
assembled. I believe I had to get help to tip the saw and even then I
had to take it apart into two halves. I am not sure if it is a good
idea to install the mobile base before getting the saw onto the stand,
as you need to tip the stand over to attach the saw and then tip it
up, I'm not sure what the mobile base will do when tipped over, but I
would try that first.

And at a certain point the instructions are going to tell you to
attach the front rail with "X" number of bolts and you will have "X+1"
bolts and "X+1" holes. You will then scan through the rest of the
instructions looking to see if this "extra" bolt goes somewhere else.
It doesn't, use it on the rail. Mine is sitting in a drawer because I
couldn't be bothered to take the rail off again.

I think it took me about 8-10 hours to get it all assembled and
aligned.

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 06:42:30 -0500, "Jim Stuyck"
wrote:

My first and current TS is a 3650. My dad happened to be here when I
bought it and he helped me put it together. Took the better part of a
very enjoyable day.

A DAY? Curious; why? How come?

There are about 8 billion bolts to put together the stand and mobile
base. And while they are all packed in a very organized manner in a
big blister pack, the person who labeled the blister pack and the
person who wrote the instructions never talked to each other.

-Leuf

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Stuyck

wrote:

My first and current TS is a 3650. My dad happened to be here when I
bought it and he helped me put it together. Took the better part of a
very enjoyable day.

A DAY? Curious; why? How come?

There are about 8 billion bolts to put together the stand and mobile
base. And while they are all packed in a very organized manner in a
big blister pack, the person who labeled the blister pack and the
person who wrote the instructions never talked to each other.

Aha! Y'know, when you spend those kinds of bucks, sometimes
it makes you feel good to have a "project" from the get-go. Used
to be, I'd buy a new car and spend the better part of a day with
screwdrivers and wrenches, tightening the thing up. Nowadays,
it's "no fun" for the guy that used to "tighten things up." ;-)

Jim Stuyck

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Taylor

wrote:

My first and current TS is a 3650. My dad happened to be here when I
bought it and he helped me put it together. Took the better part of a
very enjoyable day.

A DAY? Curious; why? How come?

There are about 8 billion bolts to put together the stand and mobile
base. And while they are all packed in a very organized manner in a
big blister pack, the person who labeled the blister pack and the
person who wrote the instructions never talked to each other.

-Leuf

Does your all's, the 3650, have the cast iron wings?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Taylor

"Locutus" wrote in message

"Tim Taylor" wrote in message
m...

wrote:

My first and current TS is a 3650. My dad happened to be here when I
bought it and he helped me put it together. Took the better part of a
very enjoyable day.

A DAY? Curious; why? How come?

There are about 8 billion bolts to put together the stand and mobile
base. And while they are all packed in a very organized manner in a
big blister pack, the person who labeled the blister pack and the
person who wrote the instructions never talked to each other.

-Leuf

Does your all's, the 3650, have the cast iron wings?

Yes it does.

Any way you would do me a huge favor? Would you look in your owners manual,
or count the bolts it takes to mount it to the table. I don't remember my
model number, but I have the stamped wings. I'd like to see if the cast
would work. If they do, I'm going to get a set. I would really appreciate
it. I get funny looks when I try to take pictures at Home Depot.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 20:34:25 -0400, "Tim Taylor"
wrote:

Any way you would do me a huge favor? Would you look in your owners manual,
or count the bolts it takes to mount it to the table. I don't remember my
model number, but I have the stamped wings. I'd like to see if the cast
would work. If they do, I'm going to get a set. I would really appreciate
it. I get funny looks when I try to take pictures at Home Depot.

4 on each side. The outer holes are about 1" in from the outside, the
middle holes are about 9 1/4" in. Cast iron is supposed to be easy to
drill if you need to make new holes. Keep in mind the Ridgid cast
iron extensions have 3 large holes to let you get clamps in to make
assembly easier. You might want to look around (ebay, etc) to see if
anyone is getting rid of any as people tend to replace the right
extension with a table.

-Leuf

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Taylor

wrote:

Any way you would do me a huge favor? Would you look in your owners
manual,
or count the bolts it takes to mount it to the table. I don't remember my
model number, but I have the stamped wings. I'd like to see if the cast
would work. If they do, I'm going to get a set. I would really appreciate
it. I get funny looks when I try to take pictures at Home Depot.

4 on each side. The outer holes are about 1" in from the outside, the
middle holes are about 9 1/4" in. Cast iron is supposed to be easy to
drill if you need to make new holes. Keep in mind the Ridgid cast
iron extensions have 3 large holes to let you get clamps in to make
assembly easier. You might want to look around (ebay, etc) to see if
anyone is getting rid of any as people tend to replace the right
extension with a table.

-Leuf

Thanks ever so much Leuf. I went out and checked before I went to bed this
morning, my stamped wings bolt on with 4 also. Looks like cast ones will
work. I did look at the exploded parts view of your saw online, but it
wasn't real clear how many bolts it took. Now, one other thing, is the 2
sides different sizes? My stamped ones are exactly the same. Once again, the
parts view looks to my like the cast ones are too. I'll check around and see
if I can't find a couple people getting rid of some. And thank you once
again.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 09:18:41 -0400, "Tim Taylor"
wrote:

Thanks ever so much Leuf. I went out and checked before I went to bed this
morning, my stamped wings bolt on with 4 also. Looks like cast ones will
work. I did look at the exploded parts view of your saw online, but it
wasn't real clear how many bolts it took. Now, one other thing, is the 2
sides different sizes?

The two sides are exactly the same.

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Taylor

wrote:

Thanks ever so much Leuf. I went out and checked before I went to bed this
morning, my stamped wings bolt on with 4 also. Looks like cast ones will
work. I did look at the exploded parts view of your saw online, but it
wasn't real clear how many bolts it took. Now, one other thing, is the 2
sides different sizes?

The two sides are exactly the same.

-Leuf

Once again, thank you so much!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Hedley

See Below...

"Jim Stuyck" wrote in message
. ..

"Hedley" wrote in message
.com...

"Locutus" wrote in message
Wife and kids woke me up this AM telling me to come outside, I was
greeted by a brand new Ridgid TS3650 in the back of the truck.

Guess I better go make something.

My first and current TS is a 3650. My dad happened to be here when I
bought it and he helped me put it together. Took the better part of a
very enjoyable day.

A DAY? Curious; why? How come?

Another poster got it right. Dad's almost 70, so it was work alittle, talk
a lot, with a lunch break, and towards the end a couple of beer breaks.
That was definitely fun.

The woodworking purists around here may call it less than professional
grade, but I'm amazed at how well it works. Slices through anything I've
fed it, and makes excellent, square cuts. Plus' you can't beat the
life-time parts and labor guarantee.

On the Home Depot web site, for the Ridgid TS3650, the warranty
info reads thusly:
"Warranty (Parts) 90-Day Satisfaction; 3 Yr Limited Service"

How did you come upon "life-time?"

They had the lifetime parts and service on all Rigid power tools for a few
months before I bought the saw last winter. It was still going on the last
time I looked (last weekend?). Unbelievable deal. Also included batteries
for cordless tools. Lifetime.

They never said how long it would go on. Perhaps in your region it ended
already. I'm in the Chicago area. I'll post again if it's still happening.

Jim Stuyck

Posted to rec.woodworking
Locutus

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the heads up!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Hedley

As far as I can tell, the BORG still has lifetime parts and labor on rigid
tools.

"Hedley" wrote in message
om...
See Below...