Posted to rec.woodworking
J T

Default Hoo Ha - Lost Treasure Found, And More

Was in the back room tonight. Really have GOT to get back there
more. Anyway, retieving my Nam slides to see if they're still viewable
- sotored in those plastic boxes, used on a B&H lide projector. I'd
been worried they were bac, because I'd found some that were totally
blank - apprently caused by the plastic outgassing, so I was worried.
But, so far, they're all good. However, I'm still going to store them
elsewhere, and get prints made of them all. And, no, no pictures of
bodies. I don't do things like that.

And, under the slide boxes, lo and behold. A book I'd been trying
to find for several years. It's got plans for how to make a child's
rocking horse. A rocking hourse you say? So what? Well, the what is,
it show how to make a hollow-body carousel type rocking horse - the real
deal. The only parts you actually need to carve are the eyes, ears, and
nose. This one is'n't painted like a carousel horse, but that would be
easy enough if that's what you wanted. It's made with poplar, with a
walnut stain. Looks like something that'd sell in a place like New Yawk
City, or Hollywood, for about a gazillion bucks. It's a minor gloat
that I bought the book in the first place, finally found it again, and
hadn't gotten rid of it somewhere along the line.

It's been a bit hard getting in and out of there for awhile,
because the younger kid has stuff a bunch of junk in there, and
generally made a large mess. I've been tossing trash lately tho, so I
can a least get in. Glad too. I ran across my N guage setup, that I
'll dig out as soon as I get something made to set it up on. Plus
theres a batch of woodworking books, including some on boatbuilding, and
misc other books, I'd forgotten even having. I'ts great to save stuff.

If you want to try to find a copy, it's in the Popular Science
Woodworking Proujects, 1986 Yearbook. It may be out of print now. It's
got some pretty damn neat stuff in there.

I could probably be convinced to sell my copy, "after" I copiy the
rocking horse plans, of course. $30, and I pay postage. If you're
serious,you can e-mail me. First come, first served.

JOAT
You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear".
What do you "know"?
- Granny Weatherwax

Posted to rec.woodworking
Gerald Ross

J T wrote:

Was in the back room tonight. Really have GOT to get back there
more. Anyway, retieving my Nam slides to see if they're still viewable
- sotored in those plastic boxes, used on a B&H lide projector. I'd
been worried they were bac, because I'd found some that were totally
blank - apprently caused by the plastic outgassing, so I was worried.
But, so far, they're all good. However, I'm still going to store them
elsewhere, and get prints made of them all. And, no, no pictures of
bodies. I don't do things like that.

I finally dug out all my pictures and slides and scanned them. Quite a
production, but now the whole batch will fit on a single DVD disk, or a
couple of CD's. Gave copies to the kids and can print out what I want to
hang. And digital pictures won't fade.

Snippers

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

He ended the job as he began it; fired
with enthusiasm.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Charles Self

"Gerald Ross" wrote in message
J T wrote:

Was in the back room tonight. Really have GOT to get back there
more. Anyway, retieving my Nam slides to see if they're still viewable
- sotored in those plastic boxes, used on a B&H lide projector. I'd
been worried they were bac, because I'd found some that were totally
blank - apprently caused by the plastic outgassing, so I was worried.
But, so far, they're all good. However, I'm still going to store them
elsewhere, and get prints made of them all. And, no, no pictures of
bodies. I don't do things like that.

I finally dug out all my pictures and slides and scanned them. Quite a
production, but now the whole batch will fit on a single DVD disk, or a
couple of CD's. Gave copies to the kids and can print out what I want to
hang. And digital pictures won't fade.

If I remember right, JOAT doesn't have a computer, but he can, if he wants
to spend the money, get a camera store to scan them in. Expensive, though.
With more than a few boxes of slides, it's cheaper to buy a scanner and an
old computer.

A note on CDs/DVDSs: lots of chatter right now about the lack of durability
of those media for long term storage. I think it's mostly posturing, but
will plan to re-do those I want to really keep about once a decade. It's
easy enough to copy either one, and the cost is now low.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

Default Hoo Ha - OT - Lost Treasure Found, And More

"Charles Self" wrote in message

With more than a few boxes of slides, it's cheaper to buy a scanner and an
old computer.

What's the best way to go about scanning those old 35mm slides? I've got
tons of them from 40 years ago I'd like to archive.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
New Wave Dave

"Swingman" wrote in message
What's the best way to go about scanning those old 35mm slides? I've
got
tons of them from 40 years ago I'd like to archive.

I've got an Epson Stylus PHOTO RX600, one of those all-in-one
printer, copier, scanner, fax, [coffee maker, and electric shaver]. It
does a passable job on scans and I can trick them out somewhat with
PhotoShop. But, certainly there are more task-specific scanners that
might do a more professional job.
Get you some canned air though and remove as much of the 40 years of
dust as you can (that's where the PhotoShop comes in handy).

--
"New Wave" Dave In Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"Gerald Ross" wrote in message
I finally dug out all my pictures and slides and scanned them. Quite a
production, but now the whole batch will fit on a single DVD disk, or a
couple of CD's. Gave copies to the kids and can print out what I want to
hang. And digital pictures won't fade.

I did all ours, then gave a disk to each kid. Did mom and dad's and sent to
my siblings. The old Kodak contact prints (Velox paper) don't appear to
have faded too badly.

Noticed dad carried a Thompson on his way through France. Scary.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"New Wave Dave" wrote in message

What's the best way to go about scanning those old 35mm slides? I've
got
tons of them from 40 years ago I'd like to archive.

I've got an Epson Stylus PHOTO RX600, one of those all-in-one
printer, copier, scanner, fax, [coffee maker, and electric shaver]. It
does a passable job on scans and I can trick them out somewhat with
PhotoShop. But, certainly there are more task-specific scanners that
might do a more professional job.

Howdy Dave,

Color me obtuse, but I have a similar HP can-opener and I am still trying to
visualize putting one or more of these small, cardboard framed slides on the
scanning bed and coming out with a usable sized picture/jpg that would be
high enough resolution to view/print?

It could be because I have never attempted doing it, but what am I missing?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"J T" wrote in message

a large poster of. LMAO It's me, ready to go on an inspection trip -

obligatory handlebar moustache, flak vest, .45, not sure if I had the
M79

LOL ... I've got a couple of those somewhere also. While it wasn't for
inspection, the M79, with buckshot round, was my weapon of choice in the
boonies. You could wear it under your arm commando style, and no matter
which way you were facing, it was too.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Brooks Moses

Swingman wrote:
"Charles Self" wrote in message
With more than a few boxes of slides, it's cheaper to buy a scanner and an
old computer.

What's the best way to go about scanning those old 35mm slides? I've got
tons of them from 40 years ago I'd like to archive.

I got a Nikon Coolscan II off eBay for about $50 (and a new SCSI card to
connect it for about $50 more); it's a dedicated slide scanner, and does
a _much_ better job of scanning than a flatbed scanner with a slide
adapter will do.

(Computers are finally getting to the point that woodworking tools are,
where it's better and cheaper to get a used top-of-the-line model from a
few years ago than it is to get something new, unless you really need to
have the fastest and flashiest.)

Also, the people over at the comp.scanners newsgroup are pretty good
with advice (even for newbies) -- if you've got tons of slides, it may
be worth paying a fair bit more and getting something with an
autofeeder, and they're probably the people who'd know which autofeeders
work and which are junk.

- Brooks

Posted to rec.woodworking
loutent

In article , Swingman
wrote:

"Charles Self" wrote in message

With more than a few boxes of slides, it's cheaper to buy a scanner and an
old computer.

What's the best way to go about scanning those old 35mm slides? I've got
tons of them from 40 years ago I'd like to archive.

I just got this Canon scanner over the holidays:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00.../sr=8-1/ref=pd
_bbs_1/104-7906515-2766342?n=507846&s=electronics&v=glance

I was not expecting much in the way of slide/negative
scanning, but I was wrong. For about $130, this is a pretty
amazing scanner. It will do mounted 35mm, 4 at a time
and automatically save each as a separate file. It will
also do negs and 120 (2 1/4 x 2 1/4) size (not mounted
tho). It has a built in light source in the lid.
You place the slides in the provided holders to scan.
Nice resolution too.

Of course it does a great job with regular scanning too.
Comes with some nice software, including Photoshop
Elements which would cost about $75 by itself IIRC.

It is not a fax machine, but does have a one
button copy function where it will copy to the
printer directly. Nice for occasional copies.

A dedicated slide scanner would be better, but I was
impressed by this scanner.

Scanning slides I took from the 60's (like everyone else!).

Lou
Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

Sounds like good advice from both you guys ... thanks!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
George E. Cawthon

Swingman wrote:
[...]

He didn't say he was enlarging pictures. Scan at
300 dpi and print same size as original and just
about any scanner should do a good job. Scan at
300 dpi and a 3x5 will require 900 pixels by 1500
pixels to display on a screen.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Gerald Ross

Swingman wrote:
[...]

Actually mine has a backlit slide holder, but I scan at 400 dpi and get
pretty good pictures.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

He ended the job as he began it; fired
with enthusiasm.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Charles Self

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Charles Self" wrote in message

With more than a few boxes of slides, it's cheaper to buy a scanner and
an
old computer.

What's the best way to go about scanning those old 35mm slides? I've got
tons of them from 40 years ago I'd like to archive.

I'm told that slides and negatives are best done on a high res drum scanner,
but from what I've seen, prices for decent ones start at about a grand.

I have what is now an old Epson here that came with a slide/neg scanning set
up. It's fairly high res and will do more than one at a time (IIRC, about
4), with halfway decent results.

I think the best way is one of the slide duplicators that you find on Ebay.
Most seem to run about $65-$80, attach to the front of the camera lens, and
let you adjust, fiddle and otherwise play with the various camera settings
and lighting schemes until you get pretty much what you want, at which point
you just run a bunch through. If I didn't have studio flash, I'd use a
halogen 250 watt light, adjust white balance and try it. I'd also shoot in
RAW format if the camera had it, because that makes things much more easily
adjusted, but RAW is a feature of DSLRs and higher end prosumer cameras
mostly, and requires special readers for many programs.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Charles Self

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Charles Self" wrote in message

With more than a few boxes of slides, it's cheaper to buy a scanner and
an
old computer.

What's the best way to go about scanning those old 35mm slides? I've got
tons of them from 40 years ago I'd like to archive.

Argh, choke, gasp. I just checked and the cheapest drum scanner at B&H Photo
is $4995. A bit of my class. Good film scanners can be had for under $300.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Charles Self

"Swingman" wrote in message
[...]

There is a light above the scanning bed, too, and the slides fit into a
frame that positions them properly, but there is still NO way to adjust for
possible film warp over the years until you get to a film scanner.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
[...]

The backlighting is imperative. It can be cobbled up on a non-backlit
scanner, but it's easier to get one that is built right. Even then, it isn't
perfect. Perfection in this kind of thing seems to be about $550, plus six
months' practice.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Charles Self

"J T" wrote in message
Sat, Jan 14, 2006, 9:47am (EST-3)
(mac davis) doth suggest:
Hey bro... if you have a Kinko's or something like it nearby, they can
do the job fairly inexpensively.. I had some done a few years ago the
they fed them into a slide scanner a stack at a time and got jpg files
on a cd out the other end.. pretty trick setup..
Mac... remembering the crazy lady he lived with that burned over 1,000
slides of
Nam..

Hah, yeah, Raleigh's got one or two. I'll have to give 'em a call,
and see what they can do for me. Thanks.

I think I'd cry if someone had done that to me.

Life did that to me. I had a fire in '66, lost everything, no insurance.
Agian, in '84--I had bought a new camera for work instead of paying the
frigging insurance. '03, we had a basement fire, insured this time, but the
stuff lost made me gag emotionally.

I wonder if I spent some time putting together an article on the most
effective/cheapest ways of scanning slides and stuck it on either my blog or
website it would be of interest? I've got some of the gear, some is too
expensive to add to what I have, but some would be neat to have. It might
take a few weeks to do (more like 10-12, because I'm literally up to my ears
right now), but if it has some value for enough others, it would be worth
posting, and it might just be fun to do. I've got some old slides that made
it through the fire, so maybe an instruction on clean-up and remounting
might help, too.

Jeez, that's two months' work there. I'll put it up piecemeal, though.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article
, Charles
Self wrote:

Argh, choke, gasp. I just checked and the cheapest drum scanner at B&H Photo
is $4995. A bit of my class. Good film scanners can be had for under $300.

It depends on what you want in scan quality. To reproduce at National
Geo quality without having to much in the way of correction in PShop,
you want drum scan with an operator who know what they're doing.

If you're willing to settle for a mediocre to decent scan that will
require significant effort to get to a quality level that can be
published in a magazine with any quality standards whatsoever, the
sub-$300 scanners are for you.

djb

--
The moral difference between a soldier and a civilian is that the soldier
accepts personal responsibility for the safety of the body politic of which he
Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 00:04:16 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"
wrote:

Swingman wrote:
[...]

He also didn't say he was scanning *pictures*, but was wanting to scan in
35 mm slides (transparencies).

Scan at
300 dpi and print same size as original and just
about any scanner should do a good job.

If the only thing one wants is 35 mm thumbnails, that might work.

Scan at
300 dpi and a 3x5 will require 900 pixels by 1500
pixels to display on a screen.

Again, he's not scanning in 3x5 pictures, but 35 mm slides. Totally
different issue.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 00:38:58 GMT, "Charles Self"
wrote:

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Charles Self" wrote in message

With more than a few boxes of slides, it's cheaper to buy a scanner and
an
old computer.

What's the best way to go about scanning those old 35mm slides? I've got
tons of them from 40 years ago I'd like to archive.

Argh, choke, gasp. I just checked and the cheapest drum scanner at B&H Photo
is $4995. A bit of my class. Good film scanners can be had for under $300.

About 9 years ago, we had an issue at work that required us to get 35 mm
film processed to negatives and then generate the needed output from the
negatives ourselves. I found and rented a Kodak scanner that could scan
either slides or negatives (and process the negatives electronically to
correct color) into digital format. I don't recall the Kodak model right
now, I'm sure it's been superseded by at least 5 generations of improvement
by now anyway. The OP might check various local high-end digital photo
suppliers to determine whether they have something like that available for
rental. Might be a good way to get to use a high-quality unit without
having to buy it.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article , Mark & Juanita
wrote:

Again, he's not scanning in 3x5 pictures, but 35 mm slides. Totally
different issue.

Yup.

A good slide/neg scanner will be at 4000 pixels per inch res (for a
desktop model).

The Nikon Coolscan 9000 is 4000x4000 optical res, 48-bit color depth,
firewire, and just under $2000.

The Konica Minolta Dimage 5400 II claims 5400x5400, 16 bit, USB for
$575.

If I was seriously looking for a slide scanner I'd lean to the Nikon
for the color depth and firewire.

djb

--
The moral difference between a soldier and a civilian is that the soldier
accepts personal responsibility for the safety of the body politic of which he
is a member. The civilian does not. ‹ Robert A. Heinlein
Posted to rec.woodworking
George E. Cawthon

Mark & Juanita wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 00:04:16 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"
wrote:

((snipped))
He didn't say he was enlarging pictures.

He also didn't say he was scanning *pictures*, but was wanting to scan in
35 mm slides (transparencies).

Scan at
300 dpi and print same size as original and just
about any scanner should do a good job.

If the only thing one wants is 35 mm thumbnails, that might work.

Scan at
300 dpi and a 3x5 will require 900 pixels by 1500
pixels to display on a screen.

Again, he's not scanning in 3x5 pictures, but 35 mm slides. Totally
different issue.

You are right but it depends on who "he" is; I
missed the slides. The who, by the way, that I
was replying to is Gerald Ross, but probably
appeared to be Swingman. Get's complicated when
the thread keeps evolving and being hijacked.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message

You are right but it depends on who "he" is; I
missed the slides. The who, by the way, that I
was replying to is Gerald Ross, but probably
appeared to be Swingman. Get's complicated when
the thread keeps evolving and being hijacked.

Actually, you replied to my post directly, as the thread, and your quoting,
clearly shows ... and the sub-thread I started was clearly marked "OT" to
differentiate it from the original thread, which also happened to be about
"slides".

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Swingman" wrote in message

Color me obtuse, but I have a similar HP can-opener and I am still

trying
visualize putting one or more of these small, cardboard framed slides on
the
scanning bed and coming out with a usable sized picture/jpg that would

be
high enough resolution to view/print?

It could be because I have never attempted doing it, but what am I
missing?

There is a light above the scanning bed, too, and the slides fit into a
frame that positions them properly, but there is still NO way to adjust

for
possible film warp over the years until you get to a film scanner.

Finally, some useful information!

Although I have never tried it, I couldn't imagine that simply laying 35mm
slides on the type of flatbed scanner under discussion would be the complete
process to obtain something useful.

I was aware that there were "services" that would do this for a fee, but
that fee has always appeared a bit steep for what I wanted to do ...
starting to think it may be actually be a bargain.

Thanks for the insight.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Charles Self

news

"Swingman" wrote in message

[...]

Glad it helped. It is costly to hire it done. In fact, at today's prices, if
you have some spare time and loose change, you can do it yourself at a far
lower cost, even if you have to buy a new scanner. But, as I noted, I am
interested in trying the cheap front lens element digital copiers to see how
they do. My basic problem is having to wait for cash flow in to equal lens
buying cash flow out. I have been a wee bit over-enthusiastic about buying
lenses for the Pentax in the past six weeks or so (not a lens a week, but
four in that period).

Posted to rec.woodworking
New Wave Dave

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Swingman" wrote in message

Color me obtuse, but I have a similar HP can-opener and I am still
trying to visualize putting one or more of these small, cardboard
framed slides on the scanning bed and coming out with a usable
sized picture/jpg that would be high enough resolution to
view/print?

It could be because I have never attempted doing it, but what am I
missing?
There is a light above the scanning bed, too, and the slides fit
into a frame that positions them properly, but there is still NO way
to adjust

for possible film warp over the years until you get to a film
scanner.

http://www.photo.net There is a scanner primer under the EQUIPMENT
menu. I would post the complete link if they weren't "down" for
maintenance this morning.

--
"New Wave" Dave In Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Weisgram

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 10:46:24 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

[...snip...]

Howdy Dave,

Color me obtuse, but I have a similar HP can-opener and I am still trying to
visualize putting one or more of these small, cardboard framed slides on the
scanning bed and coming out with a usable sized picture/jpg that would be
high enough resolution to view/print?

It could be because I have never attempted doing it, but what am I missing?

I have a scanner that has a holder for negatives and slides, and
backlights them during scanning. That said, I think for "good quality"
you might also want a scanner with a high optical resolution, which
mine does not. The lower resolution limits the size you can blow the
35mm image up to before the pixels are obvious.

Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking
John Thomas

"Charles Self" wrote in
:

I wonder if I spent some time putting together an article on the most
effective/cheapest ways of scanning slides and stuck it on either my
blog or website it would be of interest? I've got some of the gear,
some is too expensive to add to what I have, but some would be neat to
have. It might take a few weeks to do (more like 10-12, because I'm
literally up to my ears right now), but if it has some value for
enough others, it would be worth posting, and it might just be fun to
do. I've got some old slides that made it through the fire, so maybe
an instruction on clean-up and remounting might help, too.

Jeez, that's two months' work there. I'll put it up piecemeal, though.

Charlie,

Yes, please do this as you have time ...

--
Regards,

JT
Speaking only for myself....
Posted to rec.woodworking
J T

Sun, Jan 15, 2006, 9:59am (EST-3)
(mac*davis) doth remindeth me:
snip Same goes for mortars... people think that they explode out of
the tube AND when they hit... that would be a neat trick.

Oh, I don't know. LOL I was driving past an infantry outpst
somewhere between Anh Khe and Pleiku, when a 4.2" went off. Startled
the Hell out of me, and I proceeded to slam on the brakes. My boss,
very patronizingly says, "Don't worry, they're not shooting at us". I
just looked at him, and said, "I 'know' that, but I want to see where'
they're shooting before I go further". Took a few seconds for it to
sink in for him, and by that time the round had hit, a mile or so, to
our left. We then, speedily, went on. LMAO

Another time, we had radio traffic saying a bridge outpost was
being hit a mile or so down the road from us - rockets, small arms,
mortars. I wasn't driving this time. We pulled over in a pump station
to wait it all out. Then the LTC got antsy, probably with visitions of
a Meal of Honor, or at least a Silver Star, and told the driver to
proceed. All this with the bridge still under attack. And, me in the
back, saying the standard mantra to the War Gods, "Oh, ****, this
idiot's gonna get me killed". "Oh, ****, this idiot's gonna get me
killed". "Oh, ****, this idiot's gonna get me killed". Luckily the
driver wasn't in any great hurry, the LTC didn't get on him to go
faster, and it was all over before we got. Fortunately, the War Gods
answered my praryer. LMAO May the Gods protect us from the Custers in
our lives.