Posted to rec.woodworking
Brooks Moses

Default Hoo Ha - OT - Lost Treasure Found, And More

Swingman wrote:
"Charles Self" wrote in message
With more than a few boxes of slides, it's cheaper to buy a scanner and an
old computer.

What's the best way to go about scanning those old 35mm slides? I've got
tons of them from 40 years ago I'd like to archive.

I got a Nikon Coolscan II off eBay for about $50 (and a new SCSI card to
connect it for about $50 more); it's a dedicated slide scanner, and does
a _much_ better job of scanning than a flatbed scanner with a slide
adapter will do.

(Computers are finally getting to the point that woodworking tools are,
where it's better and cheaper to get a used top-of-the-line model from a
few years ago than it is to get something new, unless you really need to
have the fastest and flashiest.)

Also, the people over at the comp.scanners newsgroup are pretty good
with advice (even for newbies) -- if you've got tons of slides, it may
be worth paying a fair bit more and getting something with an
autofeeder, and they're probably the people who'd know which autofeeders
work and which are junk.

- Brooks